Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum etiquette

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
geepee

Re: Forum etiquette

Post by geepee » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 am

I cant believe how helpful & polite this forum is compared to some others that I frequent. :thumbsup:
Sure the "use the search" answer is pretty pointless on its own - but on this forum its usually followed up by a more helpful member actually finding the required post.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:14 pm

having recently sold some forum stickers i'd like to just comment and say how honest and trustworthy i feel people are on this forum :thumbsup:

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:49 pm

There's a couple problems in using the search function. If one uses the custom google search at the very top of the page, they are much less likely to find what they are looking for. I've found the forum search accessed from the menu bar to be fairly effective.

While the forum search is fairly effective at finding things, one may still have to wade through many pages of a thread full of banter, pokes, OT excursions, and misdirection, before finally finding the answer, if there even is one. It can take perseverance and patience to really find the right answer to more obscure issues.

The few times I've directed people to use search, I also gave them the answer in brief, so it was more of a "for more information" sort of suggestion. These occasions were all very obvious "search will give you the answer" sort of questions.

While using the + operator is good search engine advice in general, the forum's parser automatically places a + in front of every search term provided, unless already preceded by another operator. Check the "Search found XX matches:... " line at the top of the results pages.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

chrisj900

Post by chrisj900 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:23 pm

well done taz on bringing the old posts back to life :D
z4 roadster 2.5i, hardtop, stubby, black grills, Dice silverline, carbon badges, custom illuminated wind deflector, custom iphone dock

Drshemming

Post by Drshemming » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Happy + to + learn + Something + new

I have to say I have used the search on this forum loads and do struggle to find answers to everything, I wish there was a search that showed photos, ala Google images, as a photograph often helps getting to the right topic a lot quicker.

I have to say that I find this forum to be really friendly and helpful, life's to short for friends to bicker.
E85 3.0si Sport, Manual.

Sold many years ago - E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i, Auto, MFSW, Heated Seats, Cruise, DSP, GapTech Remote Roof, 108s, 107s, Bluetooth, Leatherz Armrest, stubby de tango'd.

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:49 pm

this forum is much friendlier than most others, you'll always get the know-alls in life, but generally everyone is helpful..

predominantly as a result of boredom at work i must confess to getting into a couple of verbal tussles on pistonheads in the last few months, but there are a few oddballs on there...!!

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:49 pm

ahhh glad to see the "use the search" thread happens on other forums too. :)

makes me feel reet-at-ome that does :D
Proud Whip owner ;)