Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

forum crashing

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: forum crashing

Post by Bing » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:31 am

I have had a couple of time on my iPad where the forum has frozen, then when I try to re-load it use hangs. Using safari on the latest version of IOS
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

forum crashing

Post by markeg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:39 am

I have memory leak issues with IE9 and latest Firefox running on a Win 7 platform, but all runs fine with Chrome. Looked at plugins/add-ins but no sign of anything there. Also runs fine with chrome and Win8 on my testbed laptop. Moral? Use chrome :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:02 pm

No problem here...
Mac OS X 10.7; rv:12.0 using SeaMonkey/2.9.1
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:36 pm

I have the same problem recently. My PC has Windows 7 and IE9.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:45 pm

I wonder if woots' thread has something to do with it? :poke: :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

cj_eds

Post by cj_eds » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:24 pm

No problems with Vista/Chrome here

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Win7 64bit with Firefox running fine. Tapatalk however is as reliable as ever... :headbang:
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:Win7 64bit with Firefox running fine. Tapatalk however is as reliable as ever... :headbang:
I have Win7 64 bit (sp1 applied) with Firefox and find it just keeps creeping up on the memory. Yesterday after an hours and a half use, it was running at just under 2 Mb! Need to look into it a bit more as its only on this forum it happens...... otherwise I'll just use chrome :wink:

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:11 pm

markeg wrote:
Stuart Truman wrote:Win7 64bit with Firefox running fine. Tapatalk however is as reliable as ever... :headbang:
I have Win7 64 bit (sp1 applied) with Firefox and find it just keeps creeping up on the memory. Yesterday after an hours and a half use, it was running at just under 2 Mb! Need to look into it a bit more as its only on this forum it happens...... otherwise I'll just use chrome :wink:
Firefox definitely has a memory leak, but it's not the forum crashing. In fact I took a look at task manager :o

Time to try Chrome...
Last edited by Stuart Truman on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:
markeg wrote:
Firefox definitely has a memory leak, but it's not the forum crashing.
My suspicion is that its Firefox memory leak and Adobe flash that are combining to cause Firefox to 'hang'... :roll:

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:19 pm

Edited my last. Bloody Hell. It might be heresy, but IE9 is getting good reviews...

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 pm

shhhhh........... heard the same, but am also finding out that IE9 hangs after a while. Chrome is the only one of the three that is working cleanly for me :roll:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 am

So, I believe I have tracked it down. It also crashes in Chrome, but only the plugin so the browser stays active. In IE and Firefox it causes either the browsers to increase memory footprint until they either crash or hang, a dependent process to do the same(like plugin-container), or both . Culprit is good old Adobe Flash, which I believe is being used to run the ads in the top left of the forum window...

Have checked and am running the latest plugin. Also checked Adobe and there are a number of bug reports on browser crashes (I found around 1800 on a simple search) - see here.

Until there is an updated plugin, think the answer is use chrome, or keep closing/opening your browser of choice.

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

forum crashing

Post by Stuart Truman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:56 am

I noticed Chrome runs multiple instances in task manager. if you add up all the instances it wasn't far off Firefox.

I'm running Adblock pro, which ought to eliminate Flash as a cause as you suggest, but I still get memory leaks

Tapatalking...

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:21 am

markeg wrote:So, I believe I have tracked it down. It also crashes in Chrome, but only the plugin so the browser stays active. In IE and Firefox it causes either the browsers to increase memory footprint until they either crash or hang, a dependent process to do the same(like plugin-container), or both . Culprit is good old Adobe Flash, which I believe is being used to run the ads in the top left of the forum window...

Have checked and am running the latest plugin. Also checked Adobe and there are a number of bug reports on browser crashes (I found around 1800 on a simple search) - see here.

Until there is an updated plugin, think the answer is use chrome, or keep closing/opening your browser of choice.
its started hapening again on 4 different computers. sometimes i cant even get off the front index page. is there a new update out i should be installing as its always that advert at the top that seems to be blank waiting to load.
Last edited by domsz4 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Whip owner ;)