Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Comments on seller's price in adverts

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Comments on seller's price in adverts

Post by Bing » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:23 pm

In the case of the thread srhutch is talking about, the item was not a car it was an accessory. If you searched hard enough you could find plenty of evidence on the forum to support the fact that the item was not as described and the seller was blatantly tying to make a profit out of the members on here given how he'd bragged about how cheap the item was originally. I called him out on it, he called me a c*nt :lol:

Comments and advice are useful, they often help weed out additional facts about condition / spec / history, positive as well as negative - I see no reason why people shouldn't comment as long as it is done respectfully, and backed up with some sort of evidence. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, and many will make the effort to go scan AT or PH before commenting... Admittedly the OP could do that too and if they are sensible they will have done so already, but it's always good to have any rose tinting gently removed.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Well said Bing mate! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Very much like that chap who recently wanted £350 for a second hand m steering wheel. I and others commented on the overinflated price but the seller dismissed this and said he was on the right money

I see his £350 steering wheel is still on eBay with a few hours remaining...

So as above, I would say 90% of the advice is spot on and offers certain sellers realistic valuations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Comments on seller's price in adverts

Post by ranski » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Sorry, I mean £375 :)

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:34 pm

From what I recall it wasn't even an M wheel, it was a Sport wheel. That tri-coloured stitching is expensive stuff :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:02 pm

I've been on here long enough to know that censoring comments on for sale is not really helpful to anyone, be that price, history, description or otherwise. We'd have people ripped off 10x more often than the odd time a high price was unjustly challenged.

If people want to post without anyone able to comment, good or bad, then they go to Ebay or Autotrader and hide there. This is an enthusiasts site and adverts are not placed on a commercial basis. If things get out of hand mods step in and resolve, but in general I feel members get a better service knowing folks on here weed out 'bad adverts' and generally look out for each other.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:11 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:I've been on here long enough to know that censoring comments on for sale is not really helpful to anyone, be that price, history, description or otherwise. We'd have people ripped off 10x more often than the odd time a high price was unjustly challenged.

If people want to post without anyone able to comment, good or bad, then they go to Ebay or Autotrader and hide there. This is an enthusiasts site and adverts are not placed on a commercial basis. If things get out of hand mods step in and resolve, but in general I feel members get a better service knowing folks on here weed out 'bad adverts' and generally look out for each other.
Have to agree with this.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:14 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:I've been on here long enough to know that censoring comments on for sale is not really helpful to anyone, be that price, history, description or otherwise. We'd have people ripped off 10x more often than the odd time a high price was unjustly challenged.

Spot on :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:28 pm

I don't think comments are necessary on for sales threads.

Rarely adds anything to the advert and encourages bumping to the top all the time.

But then again how will Andysat keep up his post count.

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:30 pm

That's why he's a Mod - totally spot on CJ10 :thumbsup:
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Some sound points, I think it's very much forum business to shout when someone's offering an item that's miss-described and blatantly overpriced, or a car that's got known issues like accident history or problems. I'm not so sure about plopping on someone's ad' with ill informed guess work and deliberate price kicking. So I wouldn't like to to see closed threads just a bit of thought and self discipline before knocking the price?

My bad experience was on another forum of course :D
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:22 pm

if you sell on an open forum then you can expect comments

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Taz wrote:if you sell on an open forum then you can expect comments
Agreed, though while most are constructive, a little more thought in a few cases wouldn't go amiss, especially with a couple of like for like examples justifying their own point
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:55 pm

DPG wrote: But then again how will Andysat keep up his post count.
BOOM! He has a point :)

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:12 pm

DPG wrote:I don't think comments are necessary on for sales threads.

Rarely adds anything to the advert and encourages bumping to the top all the time.

But then again how will Andysat keep up his post count.
Nothing to do with post count-I just like to show encouragement!
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.