Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Comments on seller's price in adverts

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Comments on seller's price in adverts

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:22 am

I've said a few times that the benefit for a buyer of coming to a forum like this is the fact they are far less likely to get ripped off. If someone reads a thread where the feedback is positive due to the price being fair, the car being well looked after etc then it inspires confidence and often leads to a sale of the car from one good owner to another. On the flip side if the price is over inflated, item not as per description, unanswered questions etc then that also gets flagged for the potential buyer as well. From a buying perspective this group of commenters is worth it's weight in gold. We do ask that comments be polite and resonable, and mods do step in from time to time to put out some fires.

As others have said, if you don't like comments on for sale threads the perfect solution is to sell on Autotrader or Ebay.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:53 am

sp3ctre wrote:I've said a few times that the benefit for a buyer of coming to a forum like this is the fact they are far less likely to get ripped off. If someone reads a thread where the feedback is positive due to the price being fair, the car being well looked after etc then it inspires confidence and often leads to a sale of the car from one good owner to another. On the flip side if the price is over inflated, item not as per description, unanswered questions etc then that also gets flagged for the potential buyer as well. From a buying perspective this group of commenters is worth it's weight in gold. We do ask that comments be polite and resonable, and mods do step in from time to time to put out some fires.

As others have said, if you don't like comments on for sale threads the perfect solution is to sell on Autotrader or Ebay.
I agree with this. On this forum in particular, people are very civilised and most comments are helpful. I think the main people who want to ban comments on sale threads are those who don't want people to know the true value. We all would like to get top dollar for anything we sell but I do believe the majority of comments left on this forums threads are helpful to both seller and buyer.

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Not quite comments on sellers prices (and maybe this deserves another thread) but I also find it quite irritating when people post up links to ebay ads for Z4 parts. It could be viewed as helping other members but if you have made the effort to search for items yourself, it is quite frustrating as instead of getting a bargain, it just pushes up the price. If members want certain parts, then ebay has the function to set up a daily alert.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:14 pm

wilbo wrote:Not quite comments on sellers prices (and maybe this deserves another thread) but I also find it quite irritating when people post up links to ebay ads for Z4 parts. It could be viewed as helping other members but if you have made the effort to search for items yourself, it is quite frustrating as instead of getting a bargain, it just pushes up the price. If members want certain parts, then ebay has the function to set up a daily alert.
Nargh - Can't agree with that. It's a member forum and people share information with each other. I've seen links to what looks good then a member advises it a poor trader to deal with, or knows something related to the part.

Assuming that nobody else will have spotted the part listed is somewhat naïve.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
wilbo wrote:Not quite comments on sellers prices (and maybe this deserves another thread) but I also find it quite irritating when people post up links to ebay ads for Z4 parts. It could be viewed as helping other members but if you have made the effort to search for items yourself, it is quite frustrating as instead of getting a bargain, it just pushes up the price. If members want certain parts, then ebay has the function to set up a daily alert.
Nargh - Can't agree with that. It's a member forum and people share information with each other. I've seen links to what looks good then a member advises it a poor trader to deal with, or knows something related to the part.

+1 on this
:zzzz:

chris g

Post by chris g » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:29 pm

comments on the price - whether positive or otherwise keep the advert bumped up - so maybe they arent the end of the world

also - often people ask for comments or appreciate the validation on their pricing or how cool the car is and I dont think you can say - "only comment if you agree"
[img][/]2007 2.5 si, dension, new sub woofers and amp, cup holders,mods on the list, sound gen, exhaust bypass, lsd, cruise retrofit.....

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Maybe have a sticky called "comments on for sale items" then it will stop all the annoying bumping.

To the top.....

Bump.....

All PM's replied to :D

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:39 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:

I think this is fair until someone posts something you find and are actively bidding on and miss it because of it being posted on the forum lol

No chance I would have got my CSLs if it had been posted on the forum. Can work both ways.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:56 pm

tomscott wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:

I think this is fair until someone posts something you find and are actively bidding on and miss it because of it being posted on the forum lol

No chance I would have got my CSLs if it had been posted on the forum. Can work both ways.
Cheapskate...lol
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm

On the subject of selling... IMO for sale threads shouldn't be allowed without a price (I'm talking parts etc here)

Posted from Tapatalk
E46 M3 SMG. Photo (c) Bing :-)
Previously E85 3.0 SE

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:18 pm

TrickyDicky wrote:On the subject of selling... IMO for sale threads shouldn't be allowed without a price (I'm talking parts etc here)

Posted from Tapatalk
I think that is forum rule ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm

mr wilks wrote:
TrickyDicky wrote:On the subject of selling... IMO for sale threads shouldn't be allowed without a price (I'm talking parts etc here)

Posted from Tapatalk
I think that is forum rule ?
Oh OK, just saw one earlier, cheers.
E46 M3 SMG. Photo (c) Bing :-)
Previously E85 3.0 SE

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:10 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:I've been on here long enough to know that censoring comments on for sale is not really helpful to anyone, be that price, history, description or otherwise. We'd have people ripped off 10x more often than the odd time a high price was unjustly challenged.

If people want to post without anyone able to comment, good or bad, then they go to Ebay or Autotrader and hide there. This is an enthusiasts site and adverts are not placed on a commercial basis. If things get out of hand mods step in and resolve, but in general I feel members get a better service knowing folks on here weed out 'bad adverts' and generally look out for each other.
wise words
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:29 am

ZermattV wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:I've been on here long enough to know that censoring comments on for sale is not really helpful to anyone, be that price, history, description or otherwise. We'd have people ripped off 10x more often than the odd time a high price was unjustly challenged.

If people want to post without anyone able to comment, good or bad, then they go to Ebay or Autotrader and hide there. This is an enthusiasts site and adverts are not placed on a commercial basis. If things get out of hand mods step in and resolve, but in general I feel members get a better service knowing folks on here weed out 'bad adverts' and generally look out for each other.
wise words
Agreed & some more below :wink: for those annoyed by folks commenting on sale post they should remember it was only last week some bozo tried offloading a CatD car without mention :wink:

sp3ctre wrote:
I've said a few times that the benefit for a buyer of coming to a forum like this is the fact they are far less likely to get ripped off. If someone reads a thread where the feedback is positive due to the price being fair, the car being well looked after etc then it inspires confidence and often leads to a sale of the car from one good owner to another. On the flip side if the price is over inflated, item not as per description, unanswered questions etc then that also gets flagged for the potential buyer as well. From a buying perspective this group of commenters is worth it's weight in gold. We do ask that comments be polite and resonable, and mods do step in from time to time to put out some fires.

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:54 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, unless is just Trolling.
Price is so very subjective anyway, one persons immaculate condition is another average and everyone's priorities are different.
For example I would have gladly paid (well not gladly!) another say £300 for my car if it had a decent set of Black Electric/Heated M Sports Seats in as standard. It would have saved me a day of travel to Surrey and back and a few hours fitting a week after I bought the car. In fact I probably would have paid the £500 or so I bought the seats for, not to mention the £50 or so I spent on diesel!
I didnt want Sat Nav so I wouldn't have paid a premium for that, nor did I want a Hardtop (sorry Marlon!) but I did want 107's and not 108s so that was a priority for me as well. Given the choice of two identical cars (never happens I know!) I would have paid a bit extra for the car with 107s as I know i would have only ended up with the hassle of changing them down the line.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)