Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

URL Links... Frustrating forum software bug...

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Any chance someone who looks after the coding/development side of the forum can fix a silly little bug which is quite frustrating?

Whenever a user clicks on a link i.e. This one: http://www.google.co.uk It takes them away from the site in the same tab.
Being a user of probably 12 or more other forums, none of the other forums do this, so on here, when I find a link I wanna view, I click it, it opens in the same tab, I finish what I'm reading/looking at and close the tab, then think... Ah nuts. Just closed the Z4 Forum...

Yes, I know I can right click and select 'open in new tab', however, I'm forgetful and don't remember to do that on here due to being so used to using the other forums I frequent.

From what I know, it's a simple bit of coding in the main forum software, depending on how basic the forum software is, There's probably even a tickbox option for it somewhere in the forum admin panel.

P.S. I just discovered; oddly enough, if people use the URL coding properly like this: Google - It actually opens in a new tab? WTF?
Last edited by nfbr on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: URL Links... Frustrating forum software bug...

Post by Bing » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Interesting... On my iPad that opens a new tab in Safari :?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

thepits

Post by thepits » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:14 pm

It's nothing to do with the site, that's the way that mircosoft works :thumbsdown: - just remember to Right click the link, for the option to open in a new tab or window :thumbsup:
Last edited by thepits on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:15 pm

I think thats a local preference, so set within the users browser preference rather than within the website itself.

It will also depend if the link is recognised as a link.
Last edited by T2FFN on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.0i

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Re-Read - I had to make an edit! If the [ URL ] [ / URL ] codes are used, It doesn't open in the same tab... Very odd.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:16 pm

On my Android tablet it also opens could be a setting at your end?
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:18 pm

nfbr wrote:Yes, I know I can right click and select 'open in new tab', however, I'm forgetful and don't remember to do that on here due to being so used to using the other forums I frequent.
thepits wrote:Right click the link, it will give you an option to open in a new tab or window :thumbsup:
There's always one...
Swiftly wrote:On my Android tablet it also opens could be a setting at your end?
Macbook Pro running both Chrome and Safari - Both do it. the non-coded link opens in same tab, the coded link opens in new.
iPad Mini - Running Chrome - Same as above
Window PC - Running Chrome and I.E. - Same as above

Android may have something set in their o/s to always open links in new tabs, although that'd be pretty annoying if browsing a normal website.
thepits wrote:It's nothing to do with the site, that's the way that mircosoft works :thumbsdown:
As c**p as Microsoft are, I'm currently at home using my Macbook pro on Google Chrome

thepits

Post by thepits » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:26 pm

@ nfbr - you using IE? :o :)

But don't care.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:30 pm

thepits wrote:@ nfbr - you using IE? :o :)
lol - Only for Testing purposes. My machines at work (PC and Mac Mini) both have about 5 or more different web browsers for testing purposes.
Contrary to popular belief some of our customers do actually use I.E. Clearly they are more into cars than ICT.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Okay, that opens in the same tab on safari now. You need the url tags on here, no biggie though ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

thepits

Post by thepits » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:38 pm

they use IE as it comes with their standard mircosoft installation

I'm using IE 11 at the moment :oops: - it works for me [most of the time :) ] but I do have a few alternatives if necessary [and I know a few workarounds :wink: ]

But don't care.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:14 am

I set the value within the url code, as in [ u r l = www etc ] linky [ / u r l ] then it opens in a new tab....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:22 am

markeg wrote:I set the value within the url code, as in [ u r l = www etc ] linky [ / u r l ] then it opens in a new tab....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As above, it all depends how the post was created as to whether it opens a new tab or not.

If you just write www.xxxxxxxx then it uses the existing tab, using the Utd code opens a new tab.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:45 am

srhutch wrote:
markeg wrote:As above, it all depends how the post was created as to whether it opens a new tab or not.
If you just write http://www.xxxxxxxx then it uses the existing tab, using the Utd code opens a new tab.
This is all well and good but it relies on the forum users knowing how to code their links (which 90% either don't or can't be bothered). I'm pretty certain phpBB has a setting to automatically code any URLs that users enter?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:17 am

That's a fair point - if it can be automated then I guess that makes life easier. Drop the boss (sp3ctre) or one of the other mods a PM. Otherwise I'm sure one of them will comment soon.