Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

security question for new devices?

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Xiaxio

security question for new devices?

Post by Xiaxio » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:14 am

I'm curious if we could do this if were logging into our account from another city/state/device? My email's password was reset but I caught it in time to change it again and now Im changing all my passwords. I had just noticed when I changed my password on here that there wasnt another line of defense. I noticed when I signed into my account on this new tablet there wasnt a security question to be safe if it was somebody hacking into my account.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: security question for new devices?

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:29 am

Personally, I don't see the need for more than a single level of authentication on a simple forum site.

I'm on a couple of rarely used forums where they'll randomly log you out and force you to put your username, password, security question and captcha in before you can start positing again. Mostly I can't be bothered and look elsewhere for the answer.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:19 am

mmm-five wrote:Personally, I don't see the need for more than a single level of authentication on a simple forum site.
+1 No financial or other personal details are held here...

...and it means that if, one Friday after the pubs close, there's a load of abusive posts made under my name i can always claim that my account's been compromised :wink:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Xiaxio

Post by Xiaxio » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:25 am

PerryGunn wrote:
mmm-five wrote:Personally, I don't see the need for more than a single level of authentication on a simple forum site.
+1 No financial or other personal details are held here...

...and it means that if, one Friday after the pubs close, there's a load of abusive posts made under my name i can always claim that my account's been compromised :wink:
Regardless, it would suck having over 5000,8000+ posts like you guys and somebody came and deleted your account. I don't mean every time you put it in, just mean if your changing your password or if your logging in on a new device. Nothing of too much inconvenience. Better to be safe than sorry. Or what if your gf/wife finds out about parts that you ordered because she got into your account and saw posts about the parts??? :rofl:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Xiaxio wrote: Regardless, it would suck having over 5000,8000+ posts like you guys and somebody came and deleted your account. I don't mean every time you put it in, just mean if your changing your password or if your logging in on a new device. Nothing of too much inconvenience. Better to be safe than sorry. Or what if your gf/wife finds out about parts that you ordered because she got into your account and saw posts about the parts??? :rofl:
If someone was able to login to your account they can't delete it. Only a mod or admin can delete accounts.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos