Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

When does "profiteering" overlap with asking market price?

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Mad Professor

Re: When does "profiteering" overlap with asking market pric

Post by Mad Professor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:41 pm

+1
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

kylez4

Post by kylez4 » Thu May 14, 2015 3:57 pm

sad

londonbmw

Re: When does "profiteering" overlap with asking market price?

Post by londonbmw » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:55 pm

weird thread, free-market rules apply. simple.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:21 am

I've bought my sepang m roadster with a view to male q profit. It may back fire can I loose a small fortune. Does this mean when I eventually decide to sell I cant sell on here?

I think let the market dictate the selling price

85genius

Post by 85genius » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:37 am

Im not planning on selling my hardtop any time soon it's on til spring now, but.... I got a very good deal on it and know it's worth at least double what I paid. I think a good compromise in these situations is list it on eBay/Gumtree for what you really want for it ie actual market value then link to that from the forum sales section offering a discount to forum members
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:03 am

bluestreak56 wrote:Sell what you want at whatever price you want. If someone wishes to pay for it thats up to them. If nobody wishes to then the seller can ask for feedback.

Thats how most selling works.
Absolutely agree with this. If someone sells something on here then it is relisted by someone else a week later but for a higher fee, then so be it. Either the original seller sold it too cheap, or anyone willing to buy it at the marked up price isn't doing their research.

It only takes a few minutes of internet browsing, ebay, piston heads, auto trader, gumtree etc to figure out what something is worth.

It always has and always will be buyer beware when buying anything on an internet forum.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:19 am

simonlpearce wrote:
bluestreak56 wrote:Sell what you want at whatever price you want. If someone wishes to pay for it thats up to them. If nobody wishes to then the seller can ask for feedback.

Absolutely agree with this. If someone sells something on here then it is relisted by someone else a week later but for a higher fee, then so be it. Either the original seller sold it too cheap, or anyone willing to buy it at the marked up price isn't doing their research.

It only takes a few minutes of internet browsing, ebay, piston heads, auto trader, gumtree etc to figure out what something is worth.

It always has and always will be buyer beware when buying anything on an internet forum.
Is the nature of the Forum changing? 'Buyer beware' - on one level absolutely right but on another level I don't come on the forum to be ripped off, pissed off or to feel taken advantage of and I guess that's the issue for me, so if the 'rules' change then the nature of the forum changes. Or am I being unrealistic and too stupid?
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:24 am

paulgs1000 wrote:
simonlpearce wrote:

Is the nature of the Forum changing? 'Buyer beware' - on one level absolutely right but on another level I don't come on the forum to be ripped off, pissed off or to feel taken advantage of and I guess that's the issue for me, so if the 'rules' change then the nature of the forum changes. Or am I being unrealistic and too stupid?
I agree with you, I've not been here long but wouldn't see this forum as somewhere you would come to get ripped off!

That said most other forums I have been on have minimum post requirements to be able to sell which does stop people signing up just to sell some crap and rip off the membership. But I do also see the benefit of not having it as it means if any none member wants to sell their Z it makes it easier for our regular members to find
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:55 am

paulgs1000 wrote:
simonlpearce wrote:

I would say perhaps a little more naive.

Internet forums are rife with chancers posting stuff that is usually rare or too good to be true. M3 Cutters is a prime example where people have been ripped off for thousands. When buying anything online you should make sure you cover yourself. Use a credit card if over £100, back yourself with paypal protection, or indeed deal in cash on collection basis only.

So far it seems this forum is very genuine and most sellers are honest. However it really is not worth taking any big risks.

So as i said before, buyer beware.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Taz wrote:I've bought my sepang m roadster with a view to male q profit. It may back fire can I loose a small fortune. Does this mean when I eventually decide to sell I cant sell on here?

I think let the market dictate the selling price
Exactly, I purchased my Z4MC for just over £18k, 2.5 years ago, which was a pretty hefty price given the market at the time. 2 years and 10k miles later I sold the car for ~£19k. This was arguably below market value. I didn't list on AT / PH / here as I wanted a hassle free sale without too many tyre kickers etc.

Perhaps I wouldnt have been barred from posting anyway
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

maxman

Post by maxman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:55 pm

Is the nature of the Forum changing? 'Buyer beware' - on one level absolutely right but on another level I don't come on the forum to be ripped off, pissed off or to feel taken advantage of and I guess that's the issue for me, so if the 'rules' change then the nature of the forum changes. Or am I being unrealistic and too stupid?[/quote]
No just a decent forum member.
I am like you ,I treat people like I want to be treated.In my way of thinking the basis of a forum is to help other members whenever possible not rip them off.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:08 pm

maxman wrote:,I treat people like I want to be treated.In my way of thinking the basis of a forum is to help other members whenever possible not rip them off.
Yep... :thumbsup:

...although I might reword it as 'the basis of a forum is to help other members whenever possible, occasionally take the piss out of them, and not rip them off...' :wink:

That said, I don't think asking 'market value' for a car or an item such as a hardtop that has been owned for a while is profiteering, if the value's gone up during ownership, then it's gone up... although my opinion might be different if someone was buying/selling and effectively acting as a trader....
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:17 pm

paulgs1000 wrote: Is the nature of the Forum changing? 'Buyer beware' - on one level absolutely right but on another level I don't come on the forum to be ripped off, pissed off or to feel taken advantage of and I guess that's the issue for me, so if the 'rules' change then the nature of the forum changes. Or am I being unrealistic and too stupid?
Not at all, the thing is some people think they have a "right" to sell on here. This isn't true at all, we allow things to be bought and sold on here because it adds value to the forum. We don't get a cut from sales, except where people are kind enough to forward one on. If we decided to remove the for sale section overnight then nobody would be allowed to sell at all.

Hopefully it won't come to that though, by and large the current rules have worked well so far, with the odd exception. This is not a forum for people to run a business or wheel and deal to gain a profit. If they want to do that they can go on ebay.

While the for sale section adds value for the forum and it's members it will continue. :thumbsup:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:18 pm

I dont think the mods need to be doing in depth price watching of items, its just not what they signed up for (i assume...)

If you buy something, it's on you to do your research. If a price is particularly high for an item there will be the guys on this forum that can't hold their tongue and will comment, the forum will essentially police itself - buyers can then take or leave the 'advice'.

We're reaching a time now where some of the Z4's are actually appreciating, if i'd of garaged mine and never driven it i'd of made a tonne of money selling it now. I can't see how the forum would be better if it restricted things like that. It's a free market outside of the forum - it shoudl be here .. except you get the benefit (or annoyance) of forum advice and discussion. Everything is optional.

I would, however, not be against restricting buy/sell to users with some posts behind them, alarm bells always ring on forums in 'for sale' threads when someone has under 10 posts and is trying to sell a ~£20k car.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:00 pm

jimmybell wrote:If you buy something, it's on you to do your research. .
This exactly. Buyers should be encouraged to not be so naive, do some research. If you dont want to buy there is not pressure to do so!!