Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Doing my bloody noodle in. Forum thoughts required.

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Doing my bloody noodle in. Forum thoughts required.

Post by Angie4m » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:25 pm

On the other hand we've had E85/86 owners who've been moving to or enquiring re E89s and being told they are positing in the wrong section because their sig says they don't drive an E89. However a new member can join with no sig or indeed any existing member who doesn't have a sig can make a post about a car they are looking to purchase in the E89 section or vice versa and nobody points out their are in the 'wrong' section when in fact they aren't.

It is annoying when it's in the wrong section, it happens but honestly it can be moved and it's not the end of the world. If that's all you've got to worry about then WTF??
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Angie4m wrote:If that's all you've got to worry about then WTF??
Nice. The original reason for my post was because topics were being answered with advice for wrong models. It seems some have progressed this into something more personal, which is disappointing.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:51 am

Before you post in the help forums you could easily add a pre-post hook which asks the user to confirm their model with clicking the image of their car. Two small pics are displayed. If the user is posting in the e89 area and they click the e85 then it will warn them "are you sure you wish to continue?"

This would at least solve the initial post problem ....

In the replies you could approach it the same way. In the quick reply or large reply you check the original post tags. If e89 then show that icon next to the reply box.

I think 2 simple icons displayed at relevant times will solve 99% of the issues.

I have a lot of experience with software usability issues - our systems are used by tens of thousands of users who will make every mistake possible :thumbsup:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Schemauk

Post by Schemauk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:58 am

Darren Slone wrote:... As for your op maybe the individuals don't know the model designations, I didn't until I joined the forum, it was just a Z4M, didn't know about E85/6 etc maybe a pic in the heading would help? :driving:
This idea could work? A model specific picture at the top of each board (where appropriate) so people are aware what model is actually being talked about.

Sadly, as I've learnt many times through work, very few things in this world are idiot proof :P
Ex-Owner of E86 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Montego Blue | White Leather | Heated Seats - Xenons - Nav - CSL Reps | :heart:

Now saving the polar bears in a 330e

Schemauk

Post by Schemauk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:59 am

stuartinzg wrote:Before you post in the help forums you could easily add a pre-post hook which asks the user to confirm their model with clicking the image of their car. Two small pics are displayed. If the user is posting in the e89 area and they click the e85 then it will warn them "are you sure you wish to continue?"
... This is also rather smart 8) :thumbsup:
Ex-Owner of E86 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Montego Blue | White Leather | Heated Seats - Xenons - Nav - CSL Reps | :heart:

Now saving the polar bears in a 330e

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:53 am

NeilP wrote:
Smartbear wrote:re-designate them "sports" & "lard arse"
Keep it simple :poke:
regards
This seems to be the wisest suggestion so far.

:rofl:
:lol: :lol:
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:27 am

StevenH72 wrote:
NeilP wrote:
Smartbear wrote:re-designate them "sports" & "lard arse"
Keep it simple :poke:
regards
This seems to be the wisest suggestion so far.

:rofl:
:lol: :lol:
Oi ye bugger! :tumbleweed:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 am

Now I'm getting worried about replying on the forum....who am I going to upset :poke: :poke: :lol:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 am

firebobby wrote:Now I'm getting worried about replying on the forum....who am I going to upset :poke: :poke: :lol:
Jobs yours if Lux clocks out firebobby... :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

David-H

Post by David-H » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:46 am

Maniac wrote:
Angie4m wrote:If that's all you've got to worry about then WTF??
Nice. The original reason for my post was because topics were being answered with advice for wrong models. It seems some have progressed this into something more personal, which is disappointing.
Doesn't that merely indicate that the post being replied to was not clear about the model being discussed? :roll:
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:44 am

john-e89 wrote:
firebobby wrote:Now I'm getting worried about replying on the forum....who am I going to upset :poke: :poke: :lol:
Jobs yours if Lux clocks out firebobby... :wink:
Oh thanks :D

Before I got my Z4 and still now, to a degree, I thought a Z4 was a Z4??.
We all drive BMW Z4's, some in coupes and some in roadsters, but still Z4's. I'm into the classic car scene and many clubs started up from within a major clubs you now have for instance, many Ford Granada clubs for. All these sub clubs just dilute what the car is about at the end of the day.
I know Z4's are still being made and are different from the original (pure design :P) but they are still Z4's that we love to own and drive.
Just my opinion. :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981