Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Photobucket blocking 3rd party hosting of images

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:23 am

Marlon wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:27 am Having cancelled my subscription with Photobucket they have (as I had expected) locked me out and are holding my pictures to ransom.
I have copies of them all so not bothered, my links are still working although not sure how long that will last. In the meantime I've moved to a combination of postimage.org and Microsoft OneDrive :thumbsup:
What a bunch of cowboys!

Thinking this through, PB imposed ransom-ware style $400 charges for 3rd party hosting without warning, the next obvious move is to do the same for access to your own images. If anybody hasn't already done so I'd copy them out now before it's too late.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Post by sticky » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:48 am

What used to be free and available to all now comes with a price tag depending on how and where you share your pics, OTD watch site members quoting 40$ per month

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Marlon wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 pmThen link to the image you want in your sig and add your text (currently you have to host your sig picture on another site)
Then submit
Thats the bit I am having a problem with now I have kicked PB into the long grass. Which "Another site"?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Nanu wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:41 pm
Marlon wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 pmThen link to the image you want in your sig and add your text (currently you have to host your sig picture on another site)
Then submit
Thats the bit I am having a problem with now I have kicked PB into the long grass. Which "Another site"?
Ive been having a play with 3 other sites , shamed to say it but none are as user friendly as PB & i was one of PB biggest haters of spam pop ups & generally poor performance :cry: ive tried Flickr , googlepics & vstance , even when you suss how to upload images its not easy to copy & paste img links to the forum or elsewhere :thumbsdown:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

bluespit

Post by bluespit » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:18 pm

trying to close my PB account and can't see how to do it.

got it..

no more pics from me for now...
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:26 pm

When you reply use the full reply and editor, click the attachments tab then go down to "Add File" and get it from your PC - simples!

Much better than when we had to use "Botophucket" - that was the main reason I used to avoid adding photos. It was cr*p! :telloff:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Since I can't advice using my host I'll personally suggest my backup plan which is always imgur. You can create an account and easily manage your stuff there.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Then submit
I use 2 sites:
I use Postimage.org, which is easy to use but you do have to put up with annoying adverts.
And I have started to use Microsoft OneDrive, which is ad free and very clean and neatly laid out but is a little bit trickier to link to at first, however you soon get the hang of it.
OneDrive would be my choice if I had to pick one :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:51 pm
Then submit
I use 2 sites:
I use Postimage.org, which is easy to use but you do have to put up with annoying adverts.
And I have started to use Microsoft OneDrive, which is ad free and very clean and neatly laid out but is a little bit trickier to link to at first, however you soon get the hang of it.
Signed up to onedrive and posted some photos but struggling to see how I get them into the signature? :oops:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:03 pm

Nanu wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:55 pm
Marlon wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:51 pm
I use 2 sites:
Signed up to onedrive and posted some photos but struggling to see how I get them into the signature? :oops:
tbh I use OneDrive for posting pics but use Postimage.org for my signature pic, however if you've managed to post pics then just use the same method for your signature. Basically copy the embedded code from the OneDrive image and wrap it in the same 'img' tags. The only issue you may have is that the embedded code generated in OneDrive is very long and may take you over the signatures max character allowance of 255
Last edited by Marlon on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Doesnt anyone just use the free webspace that usually comes with your provider package?
Always works like a charm for me, no dodgy slow ad-ridden pages etc etc....
Or is FTP a completely forgotten protocol? :roll:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Or upload to the forum! :D :roll:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 am

GuidoK wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 pmDoesnt anyone just use the free webspace that usually comes with your provider package?
Awesome until you change providers and they remove your account, then you lose your picture links again... :poke:
sp3ctre wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:34 pmOr upload to the forum!
Totally 100% this if you are posting images here... Shame it has been said over and over, and people still want to link to images elsewhere. If you post images here, they should be uploaded here. Broken image links here or any forum is never gone change unless people embrace uploading images to the site. So many good articles here (and elsewhere) have been ruined by images disappearing over the years.
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:36 am

Well I personally rarely just post pics here.. I post on other forums too. So uploading twice is dumb and direct linking the image from here won't work either ;) doubt the owner would be happy with extra bandwidth too.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:39 am

Gazhyde wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 am
sp3ctre wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:34 pmOr upload to the forum!
Totally 100% this if you are posting images here... Shame it has been said over and over, and people still want to link to images elsewhere. If you post images here, they should be uploaded here. Broken image links here or any forum is never gone change unless people embrace uploading images to the site. So many good articles here (and elsewhere) have been ruined by images disappearing over the years.
This is exactly the point... I 100% advocate people keeping a backup of their photos locally, on OneDrive, Flickr etc... I do the same! However, where a post contains important relevant photos that are part of the content I urge you please to upload the photo here so we can ensure the content remains in tact. :thumbsup:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme