Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Photobucket blocking 3rd party hosting of images

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:05 am

I can't see to get Blocked to work...uploaded images but putting a link in my sig it just shows up as text.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:07 am

bmwaddict wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:05 am I can't see to get Blocked to work...uploaded images but putting a link in my sig it just shows up as text.

Yes, that site doesn't work anymore (on this forum)
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:22 am

I think OneDrive has the option to host your photos, so if you have Hotmail etc. then it might be a useful free option.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:01 pm

It appears that PhotoBucket links are still working for some accounts and not others but as it may only be a matter of time before they stop working for everyone, I wonder if it would be possible to write a script that would

- scan all forum posts in the 'How-to' subsections looking for PhotoBucket links
- download the image to the forum store
- replace the links in the post with those pointing to the forum store
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:22 am

Cancelled my recurring payment for Photobucket due on 4th July. I was paying $29.99 per year for ad free and extra storage.
Because PB was running slow and kept going down I have been using Postimage.org more recently so should only affect older images.
We will see what happens tomorrow. :cry:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:43 am

There are a bunch of changes we are making behind the scenes that should make image hosting on here better for you guys.... Hopefully the "photo appearing sideways" issue has been resolved as well. You can also post up to 10 photos per post (up from 4).
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 am

Marlon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:22 amI have been using Postimage.org more recently so should only affect older images.
Just remember to use it to store copies - never originals, like most services T&C's they have their "we don't give a f*** about your data" clauses...
Your use of our service is entirely at your own risk. We do not guarantee the availability of our service at any given time, or the reliability of our service when it is running. We do not guarantee the integrity of, or the continued availability of, files on our servers. Whether we make backups, and if so, whether restoration of those backups will be available to you, is at our discretion.
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:12 am

sp3ctre wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:43 am There are a bunch of changes we are making behind the scenes that should make image hosting on here better for you guys.... Hopefully the "photo appearing sideways" issue has been resolved as well. You can also post up to 10 photos per post (up from 4).
Top work Spectre! Hopefully people will start taking you up on the offer more often now :thumbsup:
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:19 am

Gazhyde wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 am
Marlon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:22 amI have been using Postimage.org more recently so should only affect older images.
Just remember to use it to store copies - never originals, like most services T&C's they have their "we don't give a f*** about your data" clauses...
Your use of our service is entirely at your own risk. We do not guarantee the availability of our service at any given time, or the reliability of our service when it is running. We do not guarantee the integrity of, or the continued availability of, files on our servers. Whether we make backups, and if so, whether restoration of those backups will be available to you, is at our discretion.
Thanks :thumbsup: I have copies on my hard drive but am also looking at storing on google drive too
911 997 Carrera S

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:19 am

Gazhyde wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 am
This is the case with every image or any kind of hosting in the world ? Even Google has clauses like that.. even Facebook and they store petabytes of data.

This forum probably has higher chance of going kaboom than any of those hosts. So there's no fool proof method of storing data online. Safest is probably your own hd replicated to another and some online storage on top. But you're taking about images of cars here.

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am

As I put in the first sentence it is common wording amongst most services, and to only store copies not originals.

This forum stands less chance of disappearing if people get behind it and store the images here with the text content they post. If they provide the storage space, and allow good quality image resolution there really is no need to host them elsewhere. The only reason I can think to the opposite is if someone posts the same image over multiple forums, but that isn't this forums problem...

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 am

Marlon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:19 am Thanks :thumbsup: I have copies on my hard drive but am also looking at storing on google drive too
Good call, all mine get automatically synchronised up to 2 different cloud services (DropBox and OneDrive). I like multiple redundancy, so I'll have to lose my hard drive and two separate cloud services to lose my pics :D I would say paranoia but I've been in IT for too long to know what can happen.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:09 am

Decided to check out OneDrive after reading comments on this thread.
Works a treat :thumbsup:

Test . . .

911 997 Carrera S

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Gazhyde wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am As I put in the first sentence it is common wording amongst most services, and to only store copies not originals.

This forum stands less chance of disappearing if people get behind it and store the images here with the text content they post. If they provide the storage space, and allow good quality image resolution there really is no need to host them elsewhere. The only reason I can think to the opposite is if someone posts the same image over multiple forums, but that isn't this forums problem...
There are two issues at play here. Firstly there is the issue of peoples photos being backed up and "safe". This is an issue for each individual to consider. I doubt people are posting their photos on here as being their master copy... if so they should not do that, and they should probably not do it elsewhere either.

The second issue, and in my mind the more important one is the issue of a the relationship between a post and it's associated media (photos). If you upload onto the forum your photo is stored along with the content, so there is not a dependency on a 3rd party site remaining online (or not charging, as happened with Photobucket). If the forum goes down then both the content and the media are lost together. I have put several measures in place to make sure that never happens, but in terms of storing your own media you would probably want to make doubly sure.... personally I would not trust Google/Facebook/Flickr or any other provider to be my master source of my family photos.

Uploading directly to the forum will make sure that people viewing the posts in 2, 3, 4 years time will still see the associated photos and not a broken link :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:46 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:43 am There are a bunch of changes we are making behind the scenes that should make image hosting on here better for you guys.... Hopefully the "photo appearing sideways" issue has been resolved as well. You can also post up to 10 photos per post (up from 4).
So will this mean in future we don't have to use an external service provider simply to add an image to our sig?