Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

"Awreet" from Lancs

First port of call for new members
Dewi

"Awreet" from Lancs

Post by Dewi » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi guys newby here, signed up to pick some brains. Not got a Z4 as yet but just started looking for one to replace my 2011 MX5 Sport Black. I'm no stramger to BMWs though, I've had two cars - 318 and a 320i in the past and I'm on my 4th BMW bike, a 2009 R1200R.

I know I can do a search but i always find forum searches a bit of a Pee in the A. The little bit of research I've done so far on the Z4 has thrown up: broken suspension springs and hood motors that drown in water as potential problems. The hood may not be a problem because if I find a nice enough Coupe I'll buy that - I have no particular preference, although I must admit I do enjoy open top driving. We've just returned from a 3700 mile Europe trip and then another to Scotland in the MX5 where the roof was hardly ever up.

So, question is what are the things to look for particualrly when buying a Z4? Are there any engines to avoid? - I'd like a 6 cyl but not bothered if it's 2,5 or 3.0 litre, at my age either will be quick enough and i don't feel the need for an M. The car I'll be going after will be a lowish mileage 2004-2007 ish one if I can find such a thing. I know my way around cars pretty well - the old chap ran a garage for years and I cut my teeth taking engines and cars in general apart from an early age. This didgital crap confuses the hell out of me though it must be said :) Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated.

Oh! And just so I don't get told off for not posting a photo - here's one of the bike:

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Re: "Awreet" from Lancs

Post by Darren Slone » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

As far as I know you've picked up on the main issues, springs and, if you go for a Roadster, the roof motor, both easily sorted, albeit about £700 for the roof motor iirc, the engines are pretty built proof, obviously correct servicing is important too, hope you find a good one :driving:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi and welcome.

I cannot provide you with any useful advice other than to extol the virtues of Roadsters. OK the roof motor can get flooded but most do not and there's good advice on the Forum as to how to prevent that happening.

Either way, good luck with search!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 pm

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi Dewi , whereabouts our glorious county are you ?
You sound like a " pie eater " :D
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi and welcome.

As above, keep the drains clear and you won't have any problems. If your looking for a 2004-7 car I would suggest a pre facelift 6 cyl model. All came with the M54 engine which is pretty bullet proof and will give less issues than the 4 pot or face lift N52 6 cyl engine, both of which have well documented issues.

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:47 pm

mr wilks wrote:Hi Dewi , whereabouts our glorious county are you ?
Good grief, I hope not Mr. Wilks - I'm a Scouser exiled to Wigan many many summers ago. I know Wigan is actually in Greater Manchester but you'll never get a Wiganer to admit it - when in Rome and all that )

Thanks for all the replies so far, :thumbsup: So pre face lift eh? Could be a plan ....... as he toddles off to find the issues with the later engines.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:56 am

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Good luck with the search
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:11 am

Dewi wrote:
mr wilks wrote:Hi Dewi , whereabouts our glorious county are you ?
Good grief, I hope not Mr. Wilks - I'm a Scouser exiled to Wigan many many summers ago. I know Wigan is actually in Greater Manchester but you'll never get a Wiganer to admit it - when in Rome and all that )

Thanks for all the replies so far, :thumbsup: So pre face lift eh? Could be a plan ....... as he toddles off to find the issues with the later engines.
Spotted the Wigan dialect in your post title :D not a "pie eater" myself but do have a pal from there & he most definitely likes em especially on a barm cake :o
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 am

Welcome aboard. Clearly been doing your homework already. :thumbsup:

Z4's are turning out to been darn reliable in general. Your right about the electrics though. There have been one or two issues with pop up Nav screen. But quite rare. Enjoy your search.

I was born in Bootle, Lancs, then some politician turned it in to Merseyside. :(

Great Bike. Where was that Photo taken?

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 am

Cheers, Buzyg, photo of the bike was at Wharfedale in Yorkshire on one of my runs out over there. I went to Bootle Tech when I was an apprentice engineer back in the 60s /70s, I served my time at Chadburns on Park Lane not far from Aintree racecourse so Bootle and that area were all my old stomping grounds. We lived in Knotty Ash back then but after I left home Mum & Dad moved out to Litherland - which is almost Bootle.

From Bootle to Cornwall eh? Can't be bad, the missus and me have spent some very happy times down there.

Looking through the forum, the problem pages make some interesting reading, seem to be lots of folks having the same kinds of problems, there are definite trends going on, i.e steering issues, lights on the dash coming on when they shouldn't be. Quite a worrying one that because the new MOT rules state there must be no warning lights showing at all as I understand it. The DSC / ABS ones seem to be the favourites, ok if it's just the sensors but if it's anything more sinister the bill could be very large to fix it. Like on the bikes electrical problems seem to be the Archiles heel of BMW. The fuel gauge packed in on the bike a few months ago - they all do, usually before 10k miles. Problem is they use a fuel strip in the tank rather than a traditional float arrangement and it breaks easiy. £350 to have them fit it and it'll just go kaput again at some point. I could buy a new one and fit myself for £140 but it then has to be set up on the BMW diagnostics computer. My fix is a bit of tape over the fuel light (it's brighter than a super trooper), reset the trip counter at fill ups and refill at 200 miles - a method I've used on all my bikes since I started riding in 1967. Fuel gauges are for cissies! But yeah, some of the electrical probs are a bit off putting to say the least.