Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Viewing a Z4 tomorrow, quiet 5 years

First port of call for new members
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Just a quick one...

I am having a first viewing of a Z4 tomorrow (3.0, 2004, E85) and according to the online MOT history is has only covered around 1000 miles in the past 5 years. The seller says this is because of tax/mot/insurance costs and really poor weather conditions over those years so they just kept it garaged because they didn't want to get rid of it at that point.

Currently on 79000 miles

Apparently 'it doesn't have a full service history but it has been serviced and MOT'd recently and all is in good condition.'

Current owner for the past 7 years and one owner before this. Only things mentioned in the MOT history and brake pads and a tyre.

Currently SORN too.

Its up for £3500

Obviously this low amount of usage and mileage is a good thing and i'm not dubious of the seller at all! I'm just thinking about the 1000 miles I do in a month and the 1000 that this has done in 5 years

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 pm

If the MOT history checks out and its had oil in the last 3 years and you have a good chat face to face with the owner you will know if its right. Test drive and then offer 3k :D
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 pm If the MOT history checks out and its had oil in the last 3 years and you have a good chat face to face with the owner you will know if its right. Test drive and then offer 3k :D
If it seems like a genuine car and seller plus, the bodywork is as described then thats all good :)

Its currently SORN'ed which rules out any form of test drive really

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 pm

It'll need brake fluid doing , if not done on the recent service
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 pm

i looked at a car that had been stood pretty much for 5 years ..

I'd say that the owner is key .. hopefully you are a good judge of character and honesty .. next is where and how it has been kept

Other than that i'd have a good look at the tyres ... they may be past it. Tyres have a life of about 8 years before they should be replaced regardless of mileage,they could quite easily have been on that long if the car has not been used

id consider factoring in a new set of tyres

Also a full service and Id recommend an Insp 2 which is the major service with a brake fluid change

Sod the SORN .. drive it
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 pm

The 3.0 lump in that is pretty much bulletproof, oil service or not won't make any difference. Might have some rubbers perished over that time. Probably just needs a good blast :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, its got a good spec on it and sounds okay to me so far. I'll update tomorrow :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Yes, lack of use wouldn't necessarily put me off so long as it has been well looked after.

You may have to budget for some work depending when it was last serviced and what was done, but at least being a private sale you get to evaluate the owner as well as the car!

And regardless of SORN I'd want to drive it - just avoid ANPR cameras! :lol:

I hope it lives up to expectations. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:49 pm

The seller seemed completely genuine and is only selling it due to lack of use :thumbsup:

Minimal service history (the odd receipt)
I have some cash free for a service/inspection as my budget is higher than his asking price

5 previous owners, not 1 as initially thought

Bodywork, interior and wheels looked in great condition

Sports seats :D

How essential is having a second key? Forgot to ask him earlier if there is one

Thanks

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Owners wouldn't put me off if condition is right

Lack of servicing or evidence of is more concerning

You can ring BMW customer service and they will tell you where and when it visited any dealer

Have you run it through Cazana and MOT check ??

If no service .. then assume it needs Insp 2 and brake fluid as minimum
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:21 pm

2nd key not essential ... but handy !

You can easily get another cut

What's the reg ?

Iits poss some on here might know the car ?

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 pm

earthdweller wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:16 pm Owners wouldn't put me off if condition is right

You can ring BMW customer service and they will tell you where and when it visited any dealer

Thanks I've never used Cazana before. All the details on there match the .gov services and the number of owners on the V5. Also shows that its had a few private plates on too.

Rang BMW, current reg wasn't recognised neither was the other shown on Cazana. The guy on the phone was less than helpful too.
If I get the VIN they should be able to recognise that though right?

I'm more than happy to factor in a Insp 2 and brake fluid as soon as possible

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Sparrow wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 pm
earthdweller wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:16 pm Owners wouldn't put me off if condition is right

Thanks I've never used Cazana before. All the details on there match the .gov services and the number of owners on the V5. Also shows that its had a few private plates on too.

Rang BMW, current reg wasn't recognised neither was the other shown on Cazana. The guy on the phone was less than helpful too.

The original reg should be recognised by BMW

I don't know how well you get on with your local BMW dealer but mine ran my car through the system which showed me all its visits .. other than warranty it didn't say what for but it was easy for me to work out which were the services and that they were the same as the book/receipts

But to be fair it's a 14 year old £3k BMW .. get it bought what could go wrong ? Lol

After all it's not a £24k Alpina

Post some pics when you get it .. oh and have a look at the date stamps on the tyres .. you don't want one to delaminate on you ( yes I'm anal about tyres lol )

Andy

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:32 pm

earthdweller wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 pm
Sparrow wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 pm

The original reg should be recognised by BMW

I don't know how well you get on with your local BMW dealer but mine ran my car through the system which showed me all its visits .. other than warranty it didn't say what for but it was easy for me to work out which were the services and that they were the same as the book/receipts

But to be fair it's a 14 year old £3k BMW .. get it bought what could go wrong ? Lol

After all it's not a £24k Alpina

Post some pics when you get it .. oh and have a look at the date stamps on the tyres .. you don't want one to delaminate on you ( yes I'm anal about tyres lol )

Andy
I read the original reg wrong from Cazana, no wonder BMW didn't recognise it! :rofl:

Yeah i'm big on my tyres too so thats been checked :thumbsup: Currently on run-flats so they'll be changed anyway

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:04 pm

It sounds very promising OP. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry too much about a 2nd key - ducklakeview on here has just geared up to cut and programme them for a sensible price. "Flip" style folding keys for £60!

When you say sports seats, do you mean what BMW call "Sport" seats, or what BMW call "M-Sport" seats which look like this:-
Attachments
Ruby Z4 Interior1 300714.JPG
Ruby Z4 Interior1 300714.JPG (104.99 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black