Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vanos Error after i’ve put in new Vanos solenoids

First port of call for new members
Phil Coleman

Post by Phil Coleman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Took ownership of a Z4 2.5si a couple of weeks ago. I love driving this car despite it’s little problems. Anyway ... the car had been stood for some time when I bought it. On the way home the engine manangement light came on and it was a Vanos error. We switched it off using my mates Carly. I can normally tell when it’s going to error as the engine revs peak slightly. Anyway ... it was making the usual Vanos sounds so I had an oil service and had the Vanos cleaned ... light came on again. So I decided to buy two new Vanos units. Fitted them with the help of a good friend and the car was totally transformed ... engine runs smoothly, it picked up quicker etc. All was fine ... reversed off the drive and boom ... the lights back on again with a Vanos error. I know when it’s going to happen as the engine revs slightly. I now have new Vanos bought from BMW so I know it’s not them. Seems to be some kind of electrical fault I think. I can drive for about 50 miles before the light comes on. Anyone got any ideas?? Thanks in advance :)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:08 pm

What is the error code?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Phil Coleman

Post by Phil Coleman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:32 pm

The error code is 002A82 but we’ve Fitted new Vanos solenoids. The error is intermittent ... thinking cam sensors maybe causing the problems??

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:40 pm

Not done them on an N52 myself, but do they not have to have the baseline positions reset after fitting?

Mike