Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parts and hand controls

First port of call for new members
scott delong

Parts and hand controls

Post by scott delong » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:01 am

What is a good source for OEM parts? Need a valve (cam) cover gasket set. Probabaly replace the plugs while I'm in there. I'm in Florida, USA. The estimate that the dealer gave me was astronomical for what appears to be an easy job. So I'll do it myself but my funds are limited so I want to get the best price possible. Also- I'm a paraplegic and need to convert the car to hand controls. Anyone have any experience with this? The car is a 2008 Z-4 coupe w- sport suspension and the 3 litre motor. 90,000 miles. The car is very pretty, reasonably quick, and I can't wait to drive it. Any help would be much appreciated :D .
2007 Z4si coupe

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Parts and hand controls

Post by ronk » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Have a look thro this post - there’s quite a bit that might give you a point in the correct direction!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99644&hilit=Disabled

Or look on this page:-
http://www.davincimobility.com/car-adaptations/

I hope it’s of some help to you!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

scott delong

Parts and hand controls

Post by scott delong » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks ronk. I've gotten the gasket and O-rings from the dealer, got a friend to help me (I'd do it myself but I'm a cripple). What about gasket sealer? Putting plugs in while I'm at it. The dealer wants 26USD EACH but I'm going to an autoparts store. Oddly, the manual doesn't list plug types but a source tells me NGK iridium LFR6AIX-11 is good. Antiseize? (I hear 'NO') Anyone got a confirmation? :D
2007 Z4si coupe

spokes

Parts and hand controls

Post by spokes » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi Scott - Good to hear you are have taken the plunge into Z4 ownership, I'm sure you wont be dissapointed. I am also a paraplegic and have a Z4 coupe auto. It took a few times to get the chair storage sorted on my own (rigid chair onto the passenger seat with wheels behind seat) but its well worth it.
The push/pull controls I have were fitted by DSP. I have driven in the states and thought the radial type controls were quite good as you can balance the brake and acceleration much better than the push/pull type. Much better if planning any track use. :driving:

http://dsp-mobilityelectronics.com/

Theses guys fit controls to many high performance cars and they also fitted controls (auto clutch and hand controls) to the Westfield I had previously.

Happy to chat about this if I can help further, just PM me. :)

bw - Chris
Black Z4 Coupe auto
VW Golf GTD (diesel daily)
previous Sylva Striker, Westfield
Pedals optional :D