Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello! New member, not an owner yet but looking....

First port of call for new members
bakerlonglegs

Post by bakerlonglegs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello all! I've just joined the forum - looks like a great place. :D

I'm not a current owner but I am looking for a Z4 3.0 Si Coupe. After 12 years of driving hum-drum motors, I've finally found myself in a position where I can get a proper car again. The Z4 Coupe catches my eye every time I see one and, after a horrible year for all sorts of reasons, it's time to find my dream car :dance2:

I can't stretch to an 'M', so it'll be an SE or a Sport (have I got the names right?), manual, with as low a mileage, as much history and as good a spec as I can find (M Sport seats and reversing sensors I gather are worth having....). I've got about £11k-£12k in my pocket - is that sensible money? I live in Herts but don't mind travelling for the right car. (I will put all this in a For Sale section post.... :oops: )

Ta ta for now :D

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:01 pm

hello & Welcome, that's a healthy budget for a SI coupe - should see you in a sub 60k car with lots of toys, there is a thread called '3.0 coupe market watch' - a nice well looked after silver car in there which fits the bill
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to find a decent Coupe for your budget. :thumbsup:

There is a buyer guide here FYI. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Welcome - you've landed in the right place for all things Zed.
The si will come with M sports seats and sports suspension. The SE standard spec. has sports seats (not M sport seats, which is what you want) both have the same 265 bhp engine :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Marlon wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm Welcome - you've landed in the right place for all things Zed.
The si will come with M sports seats and sports suspension. The SE standard spec. has sports seats (not M sport seats, which is what you want) both have the same 265 bhp engine :thumbsup:
Ahem, yours is an si & that didn’t come with m-sport seats Marlon?
Also, just to confuse things further my si se came with m-sport seats from new as factory fitted options! :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:27 pm
Marlon wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm Welcome - you've landed in the right place for all things Zed.
Ahem, yours is an si & that didn’t come with m-sport seats Marlon?
Also, just to confuse things further my si se came with m-sport seats from new as factory fitted options! :o
Rob
I really don't know what I'm talkin about do I Rob :? :D
911 997 Carrera S

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Let's try again . . .

The Si SE has 'standard' Sports seats (unless fitted as an optional extra)
The Si Sport has M Sports seats
Both Si SE and Si Sport have the same N52 Engine.

:)
911 997 Carrera S

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Welcome to the forum OP - an excellent choice (but the I'm biased). :lol:

As Marlon says in his last post, they are all 3.0Si models, but there were SEs and Sports. From what I have been able to find there were around 10 times as many Sports as SEs, so you are likely to find more Sport ones around.

Which is good, because you definitely want the M-Sport seats - but I wouldn't rule out an SE if it had those seats fitted.

You should definitely find a good one in your budget.

Something like this perhaps:-

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... on/7851261

Or try looking in the Cars For Sale section on here.

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup: (And don't forget the photos once you find one)!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Marlon wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:38 pm Let's try again . . .

The Si SE has 'standard' Sports seats (unless fitted as an optional extra)
The Si Sport has M Sports seats
Both Si SE and Si Sport have the same N52 Engine.

:)
Marlon, the font of z4 knowledge :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

bakerlonglegs

Post by bakerlonglegs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks very much for the welcomes, the advice and links! :D

I'm hoping to look at two or three, to get an idea of what 'a good one' looks and feels like. I must be patient, that could take a while....

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:46 pm

bakerlonglegs wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:33 pmI'm hoping to look at two or three, to get an idea of what 'a good one' looks and feels like. I must be patient, that could take a while....
It could take a while as only about 2,500 3.0 Coupes came to the UK, so there are never going to be loads for sale at any one time!

If you are particular about colour combinations that narrows things down, and wanting specific options narrows it down a bit more!

And these didn't come with too much as standard other than electric/memory seats, auto-lights and rain-sensors. Cruise control (which isn't too hard to retro-fit), parking sensors, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Xenon headlights, heated seats, Sat Nav, cup-holders and electrically folding mirrors were all on the options list. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bakerlonglegs

Post by bakerlonglegs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks again! That’s useful to know about the options list :thumbsup: . Fortunately I’m not too worried about paint and trim colours, more interested in mileage, original condition and history. On the options front, the only option on top of Sports spec seats that would be handy is parking sensors. However even that’s not a showstopper.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:37 am

Hi and welcome.

If you were looking for a roadster E85 (I know your not!) then this would have been an ideal time of year as the prices do vary a little between summer and winter season. I don't expect the coupes E86 have a 'good' time to buy - perhaps one of the coupe boys can put us right?

Is it the coupe shape you're after? your budget will get you towards an E89 so you could go top down but then a different selection of options and engine specs. Use the forum to ask loads of questions and consider forum cars - you know these will have been looked after and even those with little history before they came into the forum will have been sorted of all the common problems (he thinks about DLV's current project).

In any even enjoy the search and try to take your time - because your probably going to be driving it for quite a while :thumbsup:

bakerlonglegs

Post by bakerlonglegs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Cheers Harry! Yep, defo a Coupe I'm after :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 pm

bakerlonglegs wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:39 pmCheers Harry! Yep, defo a Coupe I'm after
Excellent - don't get side-tracked! :)

E86 is the way to go. :thumbsup:

So this being z4forum where we like photos here is some gratuitous inspiration until you get yours!
Attachments
My Z4.1 120614.JPG
My Z4.1 120614.JPG (336.26 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Blue Z4 Nearside 141216.JPG
Blue Z4 Nearside 141216.JPG (336.72 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black