Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Noob with roof problem.. and it's not the motor :)

First port of call for new members
brightonpad

Post by brightonpad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Evening all,

Not actually a Z4 owner (do have a Z3M Coupe though so hopefully you'll still help me!) but recently when my father got a quote for about £1800 to sort his non working roof I said I'd take a look for him.

Assuming it was the motor and armed with shipkillers guide (thanks mate, what a great help that was) I got the roof off and took a look.

Started thinking something was odd when I saw the compartment was completely dry and when I took the cover off the motor looked in rude health. Put 12V accross it and hey presto, worked fine. Put Bowden cable in and hydraulics worked fine. Checked continuity on the power loom, all good so with that put the roof back on. Today I took the microswitch in the boot out, checked continuity and again all fine.

What seems to be happening is when I press the roof open button, it starts the unlatching process but after about a second goes back the other way... it doesn't get to lowering the windows. Seems like it doesn't have the grunt to continue the unlatching process.

Has anyone any ideas please as I'm a bit stumped!! I've videoed the issue so I'll stick that up on YouTube and put a link if that helps..

Thanks in advance,
Pad

brightonpad

Post by brightonpad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 pm

https://youtu.be/iosv__VK4J0

Hopefully this helps explain!

Cheers
Pad

brightonpad

Post by brightonpad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:50 am

Bump in the hope someone has seen this before :thumbsup:

Cheers
Pad

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:14 am

Do you get any error lights on the roof open / close buttons?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:21 am

got an obd scanner? might be some sensor?

brightonpad

Post by brightonpad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for replies!

ph001 - sometimes... if I keep persisting with it, I get the red flashing light on the button (which I believe says the full cycle has not completed?)

Buckz - I've got a basic Bluetooth OBD reader, I'll give that a go...

Cheers all

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:13 am

Do you know if you have any aftermarket smart roof modules fitted like the RCH+ that might have gone faulty? It's really unusual for it to actually start its operation and then start going back the other way again of its own accord.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

brightonpad

Post by brightonpad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am

Don't think so, the car is completely standard as far as I'm aware.. guess it could be the module gone faulty, but it just feels like there is something telling it not to continue the cycle..

Something just occurred to me.. are the windows supposed to go down as soon as you press the roof down button or do they go down after the cycle has started?

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 am

The windows go down about quarter way before the roof unlatches. :thumbsup:
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

brightonpad

Post by brightonpad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 am

Right!!!!! That ain't happening! Sounds like whatever send signal to windows is not working maybe. I'll try with windows down first to see if that works (I thought I had but I've tried so many things it's possible I've missed that out)

Will update later!

Cheers

brightonpad

Post by brightonpad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Well, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the windows, even if I start the cycle with them down it still does the same thing. :(

85genius

Post by 85genius » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:38 pm

brightonpad wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 pm Well, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the windows, even if I start the cycle with them down it still does the same thing. :(
The fact that when up the windows don't drop means there is definitely some lack of communication between whatever module controls the windows and the one that controls the roof.

I'd suggest that the test you just did having the windows down when you try doesn't prove anything as if the 2 systems aren't communicating when the windows are up then the roof control module probably still thinks they are up even though they are down... Either that or just cant tell if they are up or down so therefore is preventing the roof operation..

Worth downloading the carly app as you get one detailed fault scan for free before you have ton pay for the full version and it sounds like the issue is electrical so would be logged in one of the ECUs
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

brightonpad

Post by brightonpad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, will do :thumbsup: