Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie with a serious tuning disorder.

First port of call for new members
Stevie.w

Newbie with a serious tuning disorder.

Post by Stevie.w » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi I've just bought a z4 3.0 SE and collect it at the weekend. It's been laid up for awhile but looking forward to putting some miles on it. It's black with black Motorsport leather seats, which sold it for me along with 18" alloys.
The reason I bought it is, tucked away I have a m5 v10 with 32k on it and a m3 v8 6speed gear box with 21k on it. These were bought awhile back for another project I was doing ( was dropping them into my Impreza) but realised the V10engine in another BMW model would be a simpler solution, hence the z4.
I know it's been done so I'm looking for as much information as possible as I've gave myself a deadline of April / may next year. All help will be greatly appreciated
Steve.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Newbie with a serious tuning disorder.

Post by Bing » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 pm

I have no practical or useful experience to provide at all, but THIS is a thread that I am genuinely excited about watching. The v10 has been done before, but not in the UK as far as I know. Are you going to put the v8 in your Imprezza ?

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Stevie.w

Post by Stevie.w » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi Bing. No it's a 6speed box out of a v8 m3 which bolts straight on to the v10.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Balls, I should read more carefully - must be my eyes, thought you had two engines :slaphead: :oops:

Can't wait to see progress - are you going to document it all stage by stage ? If so, most excellent :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

PlumbNB1

Post by PlumbNB1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi and welcome - so it could be a 3 horse race now!!!

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38#p795796
'53 Sterling Grey 3.0i SE Manual Roadster

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:46 pm

keep up bing, :poke: what are you smoking in that pipe ? :rofl: , AWSOME project stevie , you are very brave, that thing is going to fly! maybe should have started with an M tho, but just cant wait to see some in build pics. very best of luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:56 pm

mad4slalom wrote:keep up bing, :poke:
Yup, a particularly good blend this evening :lol:

Stevie.w

Post by Stevie.w » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 am

I'll try my best and keep it up dated. My day job is building race engines for impreza's, lotus's and anything needing messed about with. I do a lot of project cars and thought its time I did something for myself. I've not long finished a wee mx5 I put together for my sons to have a bit of fun on track. I've probably taken it a bit too far as its now running 380bhp/330ft/lbs and a track weapon that embarrasses serious cars. The z4 won't be a track car, built too many of them I want a GT car with serious performance. I think the z4 with v10 installed would have to try very hard to keep up with the wee mx5 as its 940kgs and 380bhp ( 404 per tonne). I need to stop thinking about this power thing and just revel in the sweet sound the v10 will make

Stevie.w

Post by Stevie.w » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:14 am

mad4slalom wrote:keep up bing, :poke: what are you smoking in that pipe ? :rofl: , AWSOME project stevie , you are very brave, that thing is going to fly! maybe should have started with an M tho, but just cant wait to see some in build pics. very best of luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
By the time I'm finished it'll be way better than an M.

Peter P

Post by Peter P » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Sounds interesting. :thumbsup:

I for one would be very interested to hear how you get on with this. Sounds like you have plenty of experience and talent available to make this happen.

The M benefits from various parts that you didn't get on your SE, but I'm guessing you will be changing brakes, suspension, diff etc to try and control the v10 anyway, so you actually saved yourself money by not starting with the M.

Be great to have a build diary thread with lots of pictures if you can do it Stevie?

Best of luck with your project! :driving:

Peter :)

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Seriously excited for this!
Lotus Exige 350

neilthomas

Post by neilthomas » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Woots wrote:Seriously excited for this!
Me tooo!! :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Any updates yet? Is the v10 installed? If not, get on it!!!!
Lotus Exige 350

Stevie.w

Post by Stevie.w » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:03 pm

At least let me pick the motor up. As for the brakes thinking 362mm on bells and Murcialago 8 pot calipers that are lying around the workshop. Should help out with hauling it down.

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Stevie.w wrote:At least let me pick the motor up. As for the brakes thinking 362mm on bells and Murcialago 8 pot calipers that are lying around the workshop. Should help out with hauling it down.
Can I visit your workshop??
Lotus Exige 350