Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Evening all... Now with pics!!

First port of call for new members
DMC63

Evening all...

Post by DMC63 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:44 pm

JohnnyBBM wrote:Thought I'd better post after joining a few days ago.

I'm Johnny, 41, living in London.

I'm in the throes of moving from having a Company Car to Cash Allowance and have been TUPEd to a new company with, what at least seem to be, a much less restrictive policy wrt what is and isn't allowed.

To that end I now find myself lusting after a E86 Coupe 3.0 Si Sport...

I've seen a few about, but am still waiting for a definitive answer from my new company to ensure it will be inline with the car policy before I look at any. Don't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed!

Prior to this I've been mainly thinking about another FN2 CTR but a little search for all makes within my budget led me to the discovery that the Z4 would be similarly priced. And in the same tax band etc. So that was that, now I'm desperate for one!

Bit more info - last 3 cars have been:

Skoda Yeti 1.6 Greenline 2012-2016
Honda Civic Type R 2009-2002 & E36 M3 Evo
BMW 116i Sport 2006 - 2009.

Also love bikes - currently have a 2010 BMW S1000RR that I've had from new

I'm thinking the Zed will make a nice partner for the RR :driving: :D

Cheers, Johnny :thumbsup:
Buy a real Z, not one modeled on a Ford Capri. It's a roadster, a sports car. It's meant to have a soft top. :fuelfire: You're still be welcome on the forum they have a coupe section, I think it has a resident shrink to help with the psychological problems owning half a sports car brings with it. :rofl:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Evening all...

Post by firebobby » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Chris_D wrote: A word of advice: watch out for that there pastry, pvr, firebobby, johne89, grumpyowl and the rest of the brutally sarcastic smackdown clan..... They all think they have a rapier and intelligent wit but mostly the forum is just an outlet for them and recompence for being bullied at school back in the 50's and 60's :lol: :wink:
Bloody cheek, some of us are not as old as you pal :poke:
If your ever at a Z event, just watch your zimmer frame isn't kicked away from you :oldman: :oldman: :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Evening all...

Post by Chris_D » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:53 pm

firebobby wrote:
Chris_D wrote: A word of advice: watch out for that there pastry, pvr, firebobby, johne89, grumpyowl and the rest of the brutally sarcastic smackdown clan..... They all think they have a rapier and intelligent wit but mostly the forum is just an outlet for them and recompence for being bullied at school back in the 50's and 60's :lol: :wink:
If your ever at a Z event, just watch your zimmer frame isn't kicked away from you :oldman: :oldman: :rofl:
Not before i squeeze ur colostomy bag and steal ur werthers originals... :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Evening all...

Post by firebobby » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Chris_D wrote:
firebobby wrote:
You got me confused with Pastry and his loss of control :wink:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Evening all...

Post by Chris_D » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:13 am

firebobby wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
firebobby wrote:
You got me confused with Pastry and his loss of control :wink:
Oh *headslap*, ur the one with the wobbly hand and impaired hearing arent u? :D
In that case i'll crank up ur hearing aid to max volume when ur least expectin it :evil:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

jimmybell

Evening all...

Post by jimmybell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:35 am

Nice bike! how do you keep it safe in London? That's what puts me off investing (particularly would love the s1000rr in that lovely bright blue that i think they discontinued!)
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Evening all...

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:54 am

DMC63 wrote: Buy a real Z, not one modeled on a Ford Capri. It's a roadster, a sports car. It's meant to have a soft top. You're still be welcome on the forum they have a coupe section, I think it has a resident shrink to help with the psychological problems owning half a sports car brings with it.
Oi, don't be putting the OP off - he hasn't bought one yet!

And the E86 is not modelled on the Ford Capri - it doesn't have (barely usable) back seats! :headbang: That is a job for my 325ti, which like the Capri (had two 2.8 Injections back in the day) was really a RWD Hot Hatch - lovely!

A Roadster may be a "Sports" car, but a Coupe is a "GT" - it just depends on what the OP wants and it is clearly the gentleman's carriage of distinction as he wants more of a roof above his head than he would get in a tent, and doesn't need the aggravation of a drowned roof motor for his pram top! :fuelfire:

I think of the Z4 as a latter day E-Type - made in Roadster and Coupe forms, you just choose the version you prefer (so a Coupe obviously)! :P
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Evening all...

Post by firebobby » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:48 am

Mr Tidy wrote:
DMC63 wrote: Buy a real Z, not one modeled on a Ford Capri. It's a roadster, a sports car. It's meant to have a soft top. You're still be welcome on the forum they have a coupe section, I think it has a resident shrink to help with the psychological problems owning half a sports car brings with it.

A Roadster may be a "Sports" car, but a Coupe is a "GT" - it just depends on what the OP wants and it is clearly the gentleman's carriage of distinction as he wants more of a roof above his head than he would get in a tent, and doesn't need the aggravation of a drowned roof motor for his pram top! :fuelfire:

I think of the Z4 as a latter day E-Type - made in Roadster and Coupe forms, you just choose the version you prefer (so a Coupe obviously)! :P
:roll:
You hatchback drivers :rofl: :rofl:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Evening all...

Post by kis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:29 pm

I think these two comments were my favourite!
Chris_D wrote:
firebobby wrote:
Pastry wrote:
Chris_D wrote:Welcome. Had a coupla 3 series coupes. Now dearly departed. Snif.

A word of advice: watch out for that there pastry, pvr, firebobby, johne89, grumpyowl and the rest of the brutally sarcastic smackdown clan..... They all think they have a rapier and intelligent wit but mostly the forum is just an outlet for them and recompence for being bullied at school back in the 50's and 60's :lol: :wink:

You'll never learn Chris, you're your own worst enemy..... Noted and logged :evil:
I can just imagine you noting in down in a little black book! :rofl:

Now to the O.P. welcome! I hope everything works out with the car allowance and the coupe, I really like the coupe as well, but they never came with SMG... So for now I'm sticking to the Roadster and hardtop combo :wink: Best of luck!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

DMC63

Evening all...

Post by DMC63 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Mr Tidy wrote:

And the E86 is not modelled on the Ford Capri - it doesn't have (barely usable) back seats! :headbang: That is a job for my 325ti, which like the Capri (had two 2.8 Injections back in the day) was really a RWD Hot Hatch - lovely!

Excellent! :rofl:

JohnnyBBM

Evening all...

Post by JohnnyBBM » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Most amusing. Well, mildly amusing. Possibly :P

Car policy confirmed (as good as I'm going to get), cash monies in the bank and about to put a holding deposit on a car...

Got an ok insurance quote, but want better.

Chris Knott won't/can't quote me.

Anyone else got a decent recommendation please!?

Ta muchly :D

ETA - The bike is alarmed, garaged, anchored... Only way in London.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Evening all...

Post by Marlon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:22 pm

I would recommend LV insurance (Chris Knott wouldn't insure me either - postcode'ism :thumbsdown: )
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

jimmybell

Evening all...

Post by jimmybell » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:33 pm

For London, insurance is basically a choice of Admiral, or Admiral Group (Admiral, Bell, Diamond, Elephant etcetc) i find. they seemed to be the only ones competitive for me. Sky Insurance was good once for one year.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

JohnnyBBM

Evening all...

Post by JohnnyBBM » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Got a couple at about £980, and Go Compare listing the Admiral Group best, Bell coming in at £783.

More than I want to pay but I want the car. Man maths with apply, as always :rofl:

Best bite the bullet and put a deposit down then...

Not been this nervous in ages!

DMC63

Evening all...

Post by DMC63 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:22 pm

JohnnyBBM wrote:Got a couple at about £980, and Go Compare listing the Admiral Group best, Bell coming in at £783.

More than I want to pay but I want the car. Man maths with apply, as always :rofl:

Best bite the bullet and put a deposit down then...

Not been this nervous in ages!
Paid £480 for mine with Hastings direct. Fully comp, no claims protected. 9 yrs no claims on another van and car. They originally quoted me £380 but I left it for a week and applied on the day I needed it, needless to say they added £100 just because I needed it that day. They're on par with Estate agents, useless at best. :x Unqualified scum.