Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New, sorta

First port of call for new members
kis
Lifer
Lifer

New, sorta

Post by kis » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Welcome mate. If you fancy a bit of reading... Check this out.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

RonEats

New, sorta

Post by RonEats » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Thank you sir. All caught up on that. Lol.

Any idea about the warranty of things? I don't really know how they work for cars at all so any information or link would be appreciated.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

New, sorta

Post by kis » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Warranty? Normally goes out of the window after 3-5 years? On an e85 or even e86 I'd say you're 99% out of any BMW warranty unless you're paying something additional for it. Much like buying an Apple phone/product? They give you warranty for one year and the option to buy extended coverage for up to 3 years I think? Then that's it, you're on your own. Had WMS on a car before, useful maybe depending on car age and the previous maintenance regime. Not sure what sort of stuff you might have that's comparable on the other side of the pond!!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New, sorta

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Welcome OP. :thumbsup:

I think you can learn loads from the buying guides one here.

FWIW I think you will find the M54 engine more spanner-friendly for DIY work - the later N52 is more powerful for the same size but is a bit less analogue - it uses an electric water pump for example and when mine failed a year ago the OEM replacement part was £500! :eek:

Plus I have learnt from being on here that the earlier (as in pre-facelift) models that used the M54 engines were pre-wired for most of the options so if you got one without the heated seats and swapped them the wiring would already be there. (Sadly I only wanted a Coupe so it has to be a facelift for me).

Anyway, the other advice is always to go for a 3 litre - the M54 2.2 and 2.5 cost pretty much exactly the same to run on maintenance and economy so after a while you would probably regret it!

There are a few other US-based members on here by the way.

So good luck with the search - hope you find one you like soon. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

RonEats

New, sorta

Post by RonEats » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:41 pm

Mr Tidy wrote:Welcome OP. :thumbsup:

FWIW I think you will find the M54 engine more spanner-friendly for DIY work - the later N52 is more powerful for the same size but is a bit less analogue - it uses an electric water pump for example and when mine failed a year ago the OEM replacement part was £500! :eek:

Plus I have learnt from being on here that the earlier (as in pre-facelift) models that used the M54 engines were pre-wired for most of the options so if you got one without the heated seats and swapped them the wiring would already be there. (Sadly I only wanted a Coupe so it has to be a facelift for me).

Anyway, the other advice is always to go for a 3 litre - the M54 2.2 and 2.5 cost pretty much exactly the same to run on maintenance and economy so after a while you would probably regret it!

Thanks for this! I'm still piecing together what I should what what comes with what and what I am gonna want lol

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

New, sorta

Post by Smartbear » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:50 pm

RonEats wrote:
Mr Tidy wrote:Welcome OP. :thumbsup:

Thanks for this! I'm still piecing together what I should what what comes with what and what I am gonna want lol
Hi Ron, oem water pumps are available for circa £280, only nutters pay £500 :wink:
They last for ten years or so, it's not a big deal to diy :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

RonEats

New, sorta

Post by RonEats » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:56 pm

I have a shop and ProDemand at my exposal, not too worried about the diy stuff. :thumbsup:

And distributor discount to pretty much all places auto here, I think I'm set.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New, sorta

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:10 am

Smartbear wrote: Hi Ron, oem water pumps are available for circa £280, only nutters pay £500 They last for ten years or so, it's not a big deal to diy Rob
Well, much longer than your 3.0i E89 then!! :lol: :poke:

Good luck everyone!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black