Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking to buy my first Z4 and could do with some help..

First port of call for new members
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 pm

WE88Y wrote:Just checked with the dealership to clear up some of the MOT question marks.. Front ball joints have been replaced, Brakes were done 3000 miles ago and new tyres at the same time. Been sent the service history, Serviced every 10k miles first 50k all BMW service history final 2 are independent. Car would also get a full service before sale.

Car was previously for sale for £7k until very recently so probably explains why it didn't fly off the forecourt.
I have googled the garage for reviews and it's not all rosy, "not pleasant if things go wrong", Abusive owner, Warranty was crap.

The MOT history shows 3 fails since 2010,
It's your money mate, but I would look around as there are plenty of nice cars out there :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it, Turns out the Garage got the mileage slightly wrong on the advert and has done about 2k miles since the last MOT. May still go and see it.. However I have heard of a car up for sale much closer to me that isn't advertised yet that's the more powerful 2.5 SI Sport model and has all the bells and whistles etc.. (heated seats for starters) Looks very clean. I will update you when I know more!!

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Zed does look nice but gives me a 'Spidey sense is tingling' sort of feel about it. Garage got it slightly wrong? Maybe they were trying to hide it intentionally? What else have they 'made a mistake on'. May be for the best to just walk away?
Check the 2.5 out and take your partners uncle as well if you can. Helps when someone knows their way around the Zed :thumbsup:
Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Mike6 wrote:Wouldnt worry about those advisories, standard stuff from a fussy MOT station. Mine always flags up undertrays obscuring bodywork. Always listen for noises on tickover, difficulty changing gears and if you dont have a dipstick remove the oil filler cap and look out for gunk/mayo which is evidence of a worn engine.
Not necessarily Mike, gunk under the filler cap is just as likely to be evidence of overly long oil change intervals/short journeys. The problem occurs because the engine doesn't get hot enough, for long enough to burn off the condensation created.
This often causes issues with the ccv as well :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Just to update, Gave up on the car discussed here.. Didn't feel right and was a bit put of by the dealer in the end. Looked into a 2.5si but there was some bodywork issues!

Looking at a 3.0 SE 2004 at the moment, I don't really want to go to that age but i'm investigating on the basis people said i should look at a 3L!

What sort of money should these cars cost? the one i've seen is FSH & around 75k on the clock... its got heated M seats :) , Overall condition seems very good.. 3rd break light has a slight crack and there is small wear on the side of the drivers seat.

If you guys had the choice of a 2.5SI around 06-07 or a 3.0 around 04 what would be your pick? Also im planning for this to be my daily drive, albeit an average of 10 miles a day.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:12 pm

When I bought my first zed I tried both the 2.5 and the 3.0 and decided I would miss the power of the 3.0 so that's
what I bought. The 3.0 seems to hold their price so personally I would go for an older 3.0 a must for me is heated seats sat nav is nice to have but I never use mine as I use my tom tom
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:09 pm

jabber wrote:When I bought my first zed I tried both the 2.5 and the 3.0 and decided I would miss the power of the 3.0 so that's
what I bought. The 3.0 seems to hold their price so personally I would go for an older 3.0 a must for me is heated seats sat nav is nice to have but I never use mine as I use my tom tom
Never owned one before so literally have no idea regarding reliability either, Am i correct in thinking i'm going to have more go wrong with the older 3.0? Of course its going to be driven daily so needs to be not breaking down!! Most of the 3.0's i see are auto too.. Not sure how i feel about that

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:40 pm

WE88Y wrote:
jabber wrote:When I bought my first zed I tried both the 2.5 and the 3.0 and decided I would miss the power of the 3.0 so that's
Never owned one before so literally have no idea regarding reliability either, Am i correct in thinking i'm going to have more go wrong with the older 3.0? Of course its going to be driven daily so needs to be not breaking down!! Most of the 3.0's i see are auto too.. Not sure how i feel about that
You should be able to find a manual z4 as to an older zed being unreliable if it has been serviced correctly and you have it checked out I doubt there would be less reliable it depends more on how its been looked after
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

maxman

Post by maxman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 pm

The trick as is with most cars is to buy a well looked after one.The early e85 3.0 is a very reliable car.The main weakness is the roof motor,this problem affects the later Z4 also.If the car is kept outside I would get the motor moved to the boot.
The later 3.0 Z4 as the mileage goes above 70k has a potential of a problematic water pump costing around £600 to have replaced..

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 pm

This forum has already taught me that one of the first things I am going to do is swap the roof motor position :D You say the later 3.0 Z4 has the water pump issue? Am i understanding correctly that this isn't the case for a 2.5 or pre facelift 3.0?

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 pm

2.5si is a capable Zed - we have a forum member that comes out with us and doesn't feel under-gunned with his 2.5si on the road. It needs to be a fair price though (a good deal cheaper than the 3.0si that is). The pre face lift 3.0 are getting on a bit and need to be well cared for so you're looking for an enthusiastic owner who has kept on top of it and can talk their way around their Zed. The facelift engine (N52) is also lighter than the 3.0i pre facelift N54 engine.

The choice really comes down to the condition and history which can be difficult to confirm but the 2.5si (at the right price) can be more than a reasonable way into Zed ownership, especially if it's specced the way you want it. As a daily runner it will be fine and only lack the kudos and that extra power used now and again. On the road the driver can make the difference up.

If you can be patient there will be 3.0si come up from time to time on the forum . . . . took me 8 months to find mine (and in a colour I didn't particularly want!)
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

maxman

Post by maxman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:46 pm

WE88Y wrote:This forum has already taught me that one of the first things I am going to do is swap the roof motor position :D You say the later 3.0 Z4 has the water pump issue? Am i understanding correctly that this isn't the case for a 2.5 or pre facelift 3.0?
The pre facelift has a mechanical water pump,the facelift 3.0 and 2.5 had electric water pumps which are vulnerable at 70k onwards.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:52 am

maxman wrote:
WE88Y wrote:This forum has already taught me that one of the first things I am going to do is swap the roof motor position :D You say the later 3.0 Z4 has the water pump issue? Am i understanding correctly that this isn't the case for a 2.5 or pre facelift 3.0?
The pre facelift has a mechanical water pump,the facelift 3.0 and 2.5 had electric water pumps which are vulnerable at 70k onwards.
To be fair I think it is an age and/or mileage issue - my first E86 (all Coupes are facelift, so use the N52 3 litre - unless they are Ms in which case totally different criteria apply) needed a water pump at 9 years old and 62K miles.

The invoice certainly made my eyes water! :lol:

Basically any facelift 6 cylinder has the N52 engine with electric water pump, whether 2.5 or 3.0.

If buying an N52 engined model you just need to factor the potential cost into your calculations - but good luck anyway OP!

Oh and from my limited experience I would say an N52 engine suits a Z4 much better than the pre-facelift M54, even if it does potentially cost more to run! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:11 am

WE88Y wrote:Most of the 3.0's i see are auto too.. Not sure how i feel about that
Whether you like auto or not is very much a personal preference thing - have a look at some of the other threads discussing this,
My view is that an older sportier car is a safer bet as an auto than a manual. With an auto you know the engine has not been over or under revved by an enthustiastic but incompetent previous owner.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic