Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking to buy my first Z4 and could do with some help..

First port of call for new members
WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:52 am

Hi All,

Often lurk here dreaming of a Z4 but first time posting!

Currently I have a 2013 Astra and as my partner has gone and bought a nice sensible car I can look at selling the Astra and getting behind the wheel of a Z4. I have seen a car which is a 56reg 2.5i which has all the power I would need really (5 miles to work and back).

Issue is, I'm essentially buying a car that is 6 years older.. with more mileage - Am I crazy? Secondly the car that I have found according the the MOT records state the car was MOT'd a nearly year ago on the same mileage meaning the car has stood for that long, And the previous MOT shows the car has only done 4000 miles since Jan 2015. Also on the MOT a records there are a few fails in the past and these following advisories were shown in 2014.. but I would imagine they are sorted now as they don't show on newer MOT's
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Nearside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
    Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay
The car is being sold with a new 12 month MOT, 12 months warranty (not covering consumables) and a new service. The car comes with Full service history has done 74k. Bodywork of the car and interior is in absolutely perfect condition.

Should I go for it? Is the fact its been locked up inside for a year actually a good thing? Or should I run away?!

Please let me know your thoughts!!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:54 am

Welcome along.
I don't like the sound of standing still for 12 months :?
Plus that's a lot of advisories in the MOT history, I'd keep looking - plenty more fish in the sea
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:56 am

Marlon wrote: sound of standing still for 12 month Plus that's a lot of advisories, I'd keep looking - plenty more fish
Thanks for the welcome!
Its not a bad price for the condition though, And the latest MOT shows no advisories so I would imagine the suspension arms have been fixed up - I know it has had 4 new tyres too.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:59 am

Lets see what others have to say :)
911 997 Carrera S

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:12 am

Hi We88y, and welcome along!
I'm sure Marlon will chuckle at me for this, but I can't advise strongly enough how important it is to also 'scan' any potential purchase with a good OBD scanner.
Any seller shouldn't object to this if the car is fine but the fact is that your car can hide a multitude of other problems/potential problems all hidden within the car's brain!
I scanned my own before buying and indeed some fault codes were thrown up - nothing too serious but it indicated work to be done and also acted as a good bargaining tool- I got a further 300 quid off an already good haggled price!
But more importantly, it will give clarity as well as a deeper insight into the cars' condition.
There are many scanners out there but I would suggest a bmw-specific scanner and they can be found on amazon/ebay.
the mot advisories all look pretty run of the mill and common occurrences on the zed.
front suspension issues and corroded brake lines issues should be backed up with a receipt in the history if theyve been addressed.

Concurring with Marlon, I'd be looking further and longer as there is a huge choice for zed's out there. I spent about 4-5 months look for mine and even though I had to do a few fixup jobs it's been perfect ever since!

I'd also suggest looking at a 3.0i as it has a 6th gear (good for economy on long runs), more torque and it also benefits from the 'noise generator' which pipes the wonderful on-cam engine noise into the cabin!

good luck!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:17 am

ALSO! and this is really important - you need to vigorously check for oil leaks - 4 places usually;
1. oil filter housing gasket. Not the receptacle for the oil filter but the larger unit which sits at the front of the head. you'll have to shine a torch between the airbox to see any oil resisdue which would have seeped down over the 'waffle' structure of the head.
2. sump pan gasket. get underneath for a poke around the sump. any oil there will indicate a bad sump gasket.
3. and this is the most costly if its there - the main seal gasket. any oil residue at the back of the engine where it mates up to the gearbox means a bad gasket. walk away it will cost you an arm and a leg to put right.
4. cam cover gasket - have a feel around the back of the head for any oil residue. if present and if you can smell burning oil when the engine is ticking over, you have a leak here. it will be dripping slowly down onto the exhaust manifold at the back/bottom of the head.

have a look through my first posts as i've documented some of my own issues when i first bought mine.

presuming you know all the other things to look out for?

i'm sure i read a 'buyers guide' post here somewhere too. maybee in the how-to's section. go have a look.....

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:20 am

I won't chuckle regarding Chris's scanner advice, I've seen a few 'saves' on here recently using them :thumbsup:
I will second the suggesting of considering a 3.0 ltr too.

Here's a link to the buying guide:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281
911 997 Carrera S

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:24 am

Marlon wrote:I won't chuckle regarding Chris's scanner advice, I've seen a few 'saves' on here recently using them :thumbsup:
I will second the suggesting of considering a 3.0 ltr too.

Here's a link to the buying guide:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281
i bet you did chuckle Colin? just a wee bit :D
I tell everyone who's looking for any car with an obd port tbh we88y! i think it's sage advice.

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:26 am

Thanks for this, My partners uncle has owned 3-4 Z4's and quite liked the look of this but I didn't realise it had been sat inside for a year so hadn't mentioned that to him - He does have a scanner so I'm sure I can borrow that!

The garage promises to MOT it again and fix any advisories straight away. Full service history appeals to me along with the warranty, Something most garages aren't offering. I've been looking (dreaming) for a few months so I've got a decent rundown of what's around at the moment and this seems pretty good.. Only the standing part puts me off - But part of me thinks its been an easy year of the cars life, tucked up in a water-free environment.. But you guys know more than me!

And thanks for the list of what to look for, I'm starting to consider taking my partners uncle to the see the car with me as he is far better at mechanical work.. I know the basic things to look out for :)

Also RE: the 3.0i - This would have been my preferred choice but for the kind of money I'm looking I'd have to go older... Maybe in the future though!

Thanks for all your help!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:31 am

i wouldnt let the fact that its been standing for a year put you off.
maybe the oil and other fluids should be replaced as a matter of caution as they will have started to separate out over that time, if not started/exercised during that period.
definitely take your uncle as he may know what things according to his own experience to look out for.
re. the warranty, you'll be paying for that in the asking price.
i wouldnt put the value of this above 4k if it's in good shape. what's the garage asking?

edit: oh its a 2006, facelift model, maybe 4500-5000 then, but only if it has toys - lekky heated seats, cruise, satnav etc...

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:37 am

Doesn't have any major toys but does look spotless from photos, garage are asking for £5950. Looking for under £5k online I'd be looking at like a 04(ish) with 90k miles (ish).

That's why it looked like a decent deal to me..

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 am

WE88Y wrote:Doesn't have any major toys but does look spotless from photos, garage are asking for £5950. Looking for under £5k online I'd be looking at like a 04(ish) with 90k miles (ish).

That's why it looked like a decent deal to me..
With the warranty and garage's own profit margin 6k is still probably the top end you should be looking at especially if it's flimper-spec.
You'll find better for much less if you look further and longer.
my '03 3.0i 100k miles, with all the toys; satnav, top hifi, cruise, heated memory seats was had for gbp3800.
haggled down to 4.1k from original asking 4.6k then a further 300 off for issues to sort post-scan.
i spent about gbp500 on parts to address afew issues and also had the roof motor relocated to the boot ( a good preventive maintenance move)
only my comparison but i really would advise you to look further afield and really put some thought into considering a 3.0i too.
you'll miss those toys if you buy a car without them. queue Colin and his cruise retrofit.... :wink:

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Its not completely bottom spec. Its the sport model so its got the M seats in red (I'm a sucker for red seats), 18 inch 103 wheels, Multifunction Steering wheel, comfort pack etc. I don't mind that I'm paying for a bit of warranty and I really don't want to go older than what this car is. I have already checked regarding the motor and its already been moved to the boot.

In terms of looking further, This is 200+ miles away from me! Ive scoured Autotrader, Ebay & Pistonheads.. Any other recommendations?

Unfortunately close by is never going to happen for me.. I live in Aberystwyth (great driving roads) but very very few Z4's hanging around.. Just sheep!

Again thank you all so much for your help :D

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

WE88Y wrote:Its not completely bottom spec. Its the sport model so its got the M seats in red (I'm a sucker for red seats), 18 inch 103 wheels, Multifunction Steering wheel, comfort pack etc. I don't mind that I'm paying for a bit of warranty and I really don't want to go older than what this car is. I have already checked regarding the motor and its already been moved to the boot.

In terms of looking further, This is 200+ miles away from me! Ive scoured Autotrader, Ebay & Pistonheads.. Any other recommendations?

Unfortunately close by is never going to happen for me.. I live in Aberystwyth (great driving roads) but very very few Z4's hanging around.. Just sheep!

Well, I travelled from Holland to Coventry for mine after looking for a while. Distance really shouldnt put you off for the right car, but it sounds like you're already sold on this one. sports seats are a definite plus and should make up some way for the lack of other toys.
Any pics of said motor?
Have you also looked on Gumtree. Many there and it's where I sourced mine from.

WE88Y

Post by WE88Y » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Chris_D wrote:
WE88Y wrote:Its not completely bottom spec. Its the sport model so its got the M seats in red (I'm a sucker for red seats), 18 inch 103 wheels, Multifunction Steering wheel, comfort pack etc. I don't mind that I'm paying for a bit of warranty and I really don't want to go older than what this car is. I have already checked regarding the motor and its already been moved to the boot.

Well, I travelled from Holland to Coventry for mine after looking for a while. Distance really shouldnt put you off for the right car, but it sounds like you're already sold on this one. sports seats are a definite plus and should make up some way for the lack of other toys.
Any pics of said motor?
Have you also looked on Gumtree. Many there and it's where I sourced mine from.
I imagine you enjoyed the drive back to Holland!!

I'm not completely sold, I just know it looks cleaner than a lot of others and I'm a real sucker for getting a warranty even if it costs a bit more!

I will send you the link for the car..

Let me know your honest thoughts! :D
Last edited by WE88Y on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.