Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Z4 owner from the Cambridge area

First port of call for new members
Jay-SP

Post by Jay-SP » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:57 am

Mr Tidy wrote:
Jay-SP wrote: I did, I knew I'd buy it if my mechanic friend said it was good. He did spot a few issues with it, but nothing major. And it's definitely very good for a 10 year old car. I do want to get it wax oiled, and I will probably get someone to professionally detail it sometime soon. Will wait for slightly nicer weather though. Going to need front brake disks soonish as well.Thanks, I think it looks great too!Oil burner served it's purpose very well. Pretty much trouble free motoring for 9 years. I've got nothing bad to say about it at all, e46 320cd M Sport. Bought it 3 years old and it's survived very well. Let me down once in all that time, now over 200k on the clock.I do have the weekend, although tomorrow I'm testing a new Porsche Cayman 718 S Obviously not looking to buy it, but was offered the chance to test it and can't refuse!Thanks for the welcome. I'm really looking forward to the Z4. Does the forum organise track days or meets?
There have been quite a few ex oil-burners buying Z4s. I had an E46 320td for 3 years, then a 123d for 6 and a half! Did 124K miles with the 2 and neither stranded me, although the 1 Series needed a battery and starter motor (the benefits of stop/start maybe) and the N47 engine scare stories made me make the change!

I'd loved the look of E86s ever since I first saw one, so that was an easy decision!

Just read your post on the other thread BTW - you got a great deal! Hopefully the time of year helped. :o

Enjoy your drive in the Cayman, but not too much! :wink:

I don't remember seeing anything about any Forum trackdays, but down my way a member set up a monthly meet back in November. We only had 4 the first time, but in January there were 15 I think, plus a 911 and an M3 despite the rotten weather! Just keep an eye on the Meets/Events thread - or you could start one! (I sold my first one to a Forum member in Suffolk).

Grotty photo from our last local meet follows:-
I've got a friend who bought a 123d on my recommendation, and then had the engine issues. I felt fairly bad for making the recommendation. He's likely having my e46 off me now, fingers crossed it doesn't expire on him anytime soon.

It looks like I did get a good deal. The car isn't perfect, but it's very good for something that's 10 years old. I'm probably going to use it as a daily driver for the 1st year, and then get a second car for work and moving my push bikes.

As an ex Porsche owner, I'm sure I'm going to love the Cayman. i think I'm going to be disappointed by the noise it makes though. In my mind, a Porsche NEEDS 6 cylinders. I'll post back my thoughts if people are interested.

I'll keep my eye on events, but I'd definitely be up for meeting up with other Z owners if there's enough interest. As for track events, I have a friend who teaches track driving. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help organise a track event and provide tuition if there's interest.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:08 am

Jay-SP wrote: As an ex Porsche owner, I'm sure I'm going to love the Cayman. i think I'm going to be disappointed by the noise it makes though. In my mind, a Porsche NEEDS 6 cylinders. I'll post back my thoughts if people are interested.I'll keep my eye on events, but I'd definitely be up for meeting up with other Z owners if there's enough interest. As for track events, I have a friend who teaches track driving. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help organise a track event and provide tuition if there's interest.
Never had a Porsche, but I just wouldn't want one with less than 6 cylinders! Be interesting to see what you think of it, especially compared to your E86!

I'm sure you could find people interested in a Z4 track-day - there are two members down here who have had Quaife LSDs fitted because they track them!

Maybe have a chat with your friend then post something on here to see how much interest there is? (Not for me, but I'd like to go along - could double up as a meet as well)! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jay-SP

Post by Jay-SP » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Mr Tidy wrote:
Jay-SP wrote: As an ex Porsche owner, I'm sure I'm going to love the Cayman. i think I'm going to be disappointed by the noise it makes though. In my mind, a Porsche NEEDS 6 cylinders. I'll post back my thoughts if people are interested.I'll keep my eye on events, but I'd definitely be up for meeting up with other Z owners if there's enough interest. As for track events, I have a friend who teaches track driving. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help organise a track event and provide tuition if there's interest.
Never had a Porsche, but I just wouldn't want one with less than 6 cylinders! Be interesting to see what you think of it, especially compared to your E86!

I'm sure you could find people interested in a Z4 track-day - there are two members down here who have had Quaife LSDs fitted because they track them!

Maybe have a chat with your friend then post something on here to see how much interest there is? (Not for me, but I'd like to go along - could double up as a meet as well)! :thumbsup:
718 Cayman S was good, really good. I never thought I'd say this, but the PDK gearbox is awesome. It's very quick, quicker off the line than a 997 GT3 (I'd much prefer the GT3). 4.2 seconds to 60mph. It was really surefooted as well, handling is spot on. The car really looked great in a new red they do (not Guards Red) with black wheels. That said, the engine note was dull, it definitely takes some of the excitement away from driving something so fast. I have a friend with a 981 Cayman (model before 718), I'd take that car which is a fair bit slower over the 718, purely based on the engine note.

Also, if I were in a position to buy one of these new (£50k base price, with a few options can easily push £60-70k) I think I'd prefer a used 911, you could probably get a 991 for that kind of money.

Getting back into the Z4 wasn't a disappointment at all, sure the Porsche was quicker and flashier, but the Z4 really does drive well and is definitely quick enough for my needs. Engine note is much more exciting than the 4 cylinder Cayman, and for the me the noise is half of why I love the car so much already.

I'll look into track days at some point soon. I have another friend who has a Z4 Roadster, and he's interested in putting our cars back to back on track. We could try to turn this into a Z4 meet. I want some time with the car before taking it to the track, and I need to recover financially from buying the car :). Maybe by the summer I'l be in a position to start looking into this.

I'm already looking at changing a few things in the Z4. The Porsche had an alcantara steering wheel, I think I want something similar in mine and have spotted a company who do this. I've read on here a few people have used them - Royal Steering Wheels. I'd like to do the gear knob in alcantara too, but I've not yet found anyone doing these.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Jay-SP wrote:
NickDE wrote:
Jay-SP wrote:A car I've lusted over for a couple of years now!
Me too. And having bought a Z4C a few months ago the lust has turned into carnal pleasures :driving:

Welcome !
Another new owner! How have you found your first few months of ownership?
I'm having a blast when I get the chance. With crazy work schedules right now and cold weather I haven't had as much time with it as I would like.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic