Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z from Tennessee facelift

First port of call for new members
Zziipp

Post by Zziipp » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 am

Hello everyone. My name is Chris Ledford, I am a newbie from East Tennessee. I made one post about putting new tires and rims on my car but I want to start a thread showing this project from beginning to end. Just to fill you in, I recently purchased a 2003 Z4 Roadster 2.5 pre-facelift from a couple who did not care for the car. You can say I rescued the car, that would be a good statement. All in all the car is in good shape it just wasn't service properly in my opinion. Just looking it over I'm going to have to redo brakes and rotors, struts shocks, another preventive maintenance items that you do when you're a good car owner. It was obviously parked for an extended period of time with the driver side in the sun because the driver paint is faded. That's one thing I don't like about silver is it's bad for fading. However she's going to be getting fresh paint so that's not an issue. I'm very satisfied with the way the car handles and performs and I'm looking forward to showing the car some love and affection by applying my touch to make it my personal car. The previous owner thought the car had a leaking front main seal but my best friend is a BMW mechanic and he assured me it was only the gasket around the oil filter canister. Sure enough, I get it home and that little $6 gasket, which had obviously been leaking for quite some time, was the heart of the oil leak problem. The front bumper looks like someone shot it with a shotgun! I've never seen so many stone chips on a vehicle in my life. I've ordered a Rieger front bumper, side skirts and a rear diffuser to address this problem. I just love the way the car looks on the website with their add ons. I know that may be a sin to some Z owners to change those things but as I said, to each is own and that is what appeals to me. Two days ago I went and purchased 18 inch wheels and new tires to replace the 16 inch wheels and tires that were on the car. Wow what a difference. Having posted the pictures of the car at this forum and at bimmerfest.com, I've had nothing but compliments on the wheel/tire upgrade. Today I took a half an hour out of my life to do the CDV delete upgrade. Boy what a difference. Clutch pedal is much lighter under my foot and the clutch is much more responsive. Was blown away that such a small thing could have such a huge impact. What in the world was BMW thinking when they added that little performance killer? The angel eye headlights I ordered arrived today but I will not be installing those until I do the front bumper replacement. Spoke with the folks at ESE Tuning today about my Reiger bumper and other add ons and they said my parts were due to ship Tuesday or Wednesday. So the facelift begins. I am so excited, I'm like a kid at Christmas. Will be posting the changes as I do them. I welcome / encourage any comments positive or negative. Thanks for letting me join the Forum. It's great to be with other people who share this passion.
Attachments
Feb 18, 2017.
Feb 18, 2017.
aviary-image-1487366658208.jpeg (109.82 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
03 2.5 E85, Reiger Front bumper,side skirts,rear defuser, Angel Eye Headlights, drilled & slotted rotors, new 18" tires & wheels, rear spoiler

BSVA

Post by BSVA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:44 am

Hi Zziipp, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your progress on your Z. :thumbsup:
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Ellipsoids,
Continental ProContact RX SSR's.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:08 am

Hi and welcome, as above looking forward to your updates. Enjoy :driving:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 am

Welcome to the forum, those wheels look the business :thumbsup:
Sounds like you're up and running with the mods - good call doing the CDV delete, smooths out 1st and 2nd gears doesn't it :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi and welcome along Chris :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing your progress :driving:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Zziipp

Post by Zziipp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:05 pm

Well the facelift is about to begin. Angel eye headlights have arrived and my new front bumper, side skirts and rear skirt extension are in route to my house as I speak. I am so pumped for this. As good as she looks now I can't wait to see her dressed for the ball. In the process of getting the garage ready and getting the tools prepped. Making sure I have everything on hand I need so there's no running here and running there at the last minute. Of course you know that never happens and there will be some" oh I have to get this and I forgot to get that" and of the always eminent "I didn't expect that." I'm will be doing photos as I go, I'm going to document it for myself and for you guys. Meanwhile it's 75 degrees in Tennessee it's time to put the top down and get my Z on............
03 2.5 E85, Reiger Front bumper,side skirts,rear defuser, Angel Eye Headlights, drilled & slotted rotors, new 18" tires & wheels, rear spoiler

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:52 am

Yes, welcome OP. :thumbsup:

Your new wheels look great!

And now you have your new bits I'm looking forward to seeing the changes. But please don't keep telling us the temperatures you are enjoying - it barely got to 45 degrees here today! :headbang: :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:21 am

Welcome to the forum Zziipp. :) Look forward to looking in on your posts.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:54 am

Welcome :thumbsup:

I've not been on here for long myself and have found loads of helpful stuff, as well as a few good jokes!

Look forward to seeing your project take shape, especially the rear skirt extension. Love the height my zeds nose sits at now but the rear could do with coming down a notch or two.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Zziipp

Post by Zziipp » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:00 am

Well the Rieger body kit arrived yesterday. Everything looks good and good shape no damage in shipping. So now I have everything on hand to begin the project. Spoke with my buddy, BMW mechanic, who is going to assist me in this little project. Cleaning out a spot in his garage to park my baby and start stripping her down. This little project from beginning to end at this point will include front bumper replacement, rear bumper skirt extension, side skirts, rear spoiler, new Angle Eye headlights, new drilled and slotted brake rotors and pads, new shocks & struts. The only reason the exhaust is not being done is I haven't chosen one yet. I am so excited it's all I think about from the time I wake to the time I lay down. I love my Z and want this to be a new chapter in its life, a better one. I spoke with my painter and told him to expect the car in about a week if things go well. I believe the hardest part of this little project will be the rear skirt extension because I have to cut the rear bumper to add this.as for performance, I am looking into a Dinan stage 2 computer software upgrade with the high-flow cold air intake but haven't pinned those people down yet either. This is my passion guys, this is what I love. Cars and working on them. The older the better. My goal is to have a rat rod shop of my own someday. Big brother is about to retire soon trying to talk him into doing that Venture with me. Will keep you posted with pics and info and may even have questions about things that some of you guys may or may not have ran into while working on your Z's. Any and all input is welcome. Wish me luck
Attachments
IMG_20170227_132603.jpg
IMG_20170227_132603.jpg (89.41 KiB) Viewed 2818 times

Zziipp

Post by Zziipp » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Well the day is finally here. :D The facelift begins. Hope to get the front bumper off and the new bumper on and the headlights exchanged today. Luckily my best friend's a BMW mechanic so he and I will be pitching in together to do this. Everyone in the group should be so lucky. With his help this should be a smooth transition from a neglected E85 to a well loved and cared for BMW Z4 Roadster with a beautiful new smile. :driving:
Attachments
20170305_115620-03.jpeg
20170305_115620-03.jpeg (95.47 KiB) Viewed 2802 times

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Exciting - don't forget to take photos of the process if possible :camera:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Zziipp

Post by Zziipp » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Beautiful day 62 degree day here in East Tennessee for tinkering on the Z. The facelift has begun and the front bumper installation is moving right along. Removing the old one took about 15 minutes and was followed by clean up and prep of the front clip. Decided to paint the details behind the bumper a fresh gloss black since more will be exposed to view with this bumper. Installed the Angel Eye Headlights but left the final wiring of the Halos to be finished after new front bumper installation is completed. Needed to get the new bumper mounted and complete since this is my only day off. My buddy Dan was invaluable today with his tedious attention to details like the body lines and fit. Finished the day with the bumper on the car, headlights installed. Fitting of the grill inserts was under way when the sun set and the temperature started dropping. Since I work 3rd shift I will have all day Monday to finish up so we called it a night. New bumper looks wicked on the car as do the new headlights. Found it hard to leave her sitting there so close to completion but not rushing this installation. If it's worth doing its worth doing right. Now I'm sitting on the couch anxious to get it done and moving forward to step 2, side skirts. Got pics of today's fun to share and will continue to update through the whole project.
Attachments
zbuild-5.jpg
zbuild-5.jpg (63.69 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
zbuild-4.jpg
zbuild-4.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
zbuild-3.jpg
zbuild-3.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
zbuild-1.jpg
zbuild-1.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

Zziipp

Post by Zziipp » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:17 am

Well today was a productive day. Have the front bumper ready to permanently mount. Spend a couple hours today improving the lines with the fenders and the hood. Rebuilt front brakes and installed new drilled and slotted rotors. Spent about an hour sanding the edges that are exposed to view on the front bumper. Will most likely start on the side skirts tomorrow. Really enjoying seeing her come together. :thumbsup: Have the paint guy coming this week to discuss paint job. Missed driving her today. Guess I'll learn patience this month :D I wish my son was alive to see this. He would love it like I do. Thinking of you buddy, know your by my side every moment. So here are a few pics for all to see. Trying to get this camera to function better for clearer shots.
Attachments
IMG_20170306_181904_edited (1).jpg
IMG_20170306_181904_edited (1).jpg (38.51 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
zbuild-6.jpg
zbuild-6.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
PSFix_20170306_193125.jpeg
PSFix_20170306_193125.jpeg (53.15 KiB) Viewed 2746 times

bobo075

Post by bobo075 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello, very nice job on your Z :thumbsup: