Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Issues with very low miles on an old 2.5

First port of call for new members
mikeyggg

Post by mikeyggg » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a new (used) car and have been looking at some six cylinder Z4s. This weekend i went to see a 2003 2.5i with ~40k on the clock. The car looked brilliant with only a few stone chips at the front and very light wear on the interior. I have some concerns however over the mileage. The car has averaged just 3000 a year but on looking at the records at appears the car as done under 1000 a year for the past five years.

Am i right to be concerned? Could the car have developed any serious issues from its lack of use? I did not drive the car when i saw it as i like to take things very slow but almost certainly will one evening this week (weather dependent).

Some other points on the car:

- The car almost certainly has not been kept outside, the dealer informed me that a lot of cleaning was required when he got the car has there was a lot of mold in the boot and on the roof.
- I started the car twice and both times it started almost instantly, the throttle was responsive and the power steering appeared to work very well.
- When i pushed the button the close the roof nothing happened. Only when i started the engine again and fiddled with the buttons for a while would the roof close. I assume this could just be the frame is stiff from being sat still for so long but could this indicate a new battery or roof motor is needed?
- I did not read the service book (my mistake and i was in a rush) but was told the car passed its last MOT with no advisories.
- The dealer offered me a good price for my current car which previous dealers had declined to PX due to some bodywork damage. The price offered was of course dependent on me taking the sticker price of the Z4.

So if i go back and drive the car is there anything in particular i should look out for and if the car has been sat still how often should it have been serviced?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 pm

i'd say there are plenty of 2.5 and 3.0 roadsters so go and find another one. Buying a car simply because it has low miles is not clever. I'd rather a well looked/well driven car that has had higher mileage.

on that note, this -; viewtopic.php?f=41&t=94635 is the car you should have a look at if you're seeking low miles.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:35 pm

The forum can't really say the car is worth buying or one to walk away from simply by your description
First off there are many E85s that live outside , there are many that cover low miles per year , there are many that cover large miles per year :wink:
You have to assess the car in front of you on its merits or its faults , the roof motor for instance won't move without ignition & whilst previously a failing motor was a "walkaway" now there are a good number of forum guys across the country who can help sort the fault for as little as £80
You really need to throw up some specifics , IE year, miles , colour , spec & of course price , the fact that its done 1000yr for the last 5 yrs suggests the same owner for that time which i always find is a good point
Last edited by mr wilks on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

G-A-R-Y

Post by G-A-R-Y » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:35 pm

mikeyggg wrote: - When i pushed the button the close the roof nothing happened. Only when i started the engine again and fiddled with the buttons for a while would the roof close. I assume this could just be the frame is stiff from being sat still for so long but could this indicate a new battery or roof motor is needed?
You mention the car started easily a few times, so it sounds like the battery was ok. The roof should of worked instantly, you don't need the engine running and you shouldn't have to repeatedly press buttons. It sounds very much like a failing motor.

Regarding the mileage, low miles are good but short journeys aren't. Check for sludge in the oil filler. Perhaps a set of discs and pads all round if they look poor.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:08 pm

I wouldn't be put off by the low miles provided it drives well and the service book is up to date. It could be the battery needs a good charge if the roof is working fine when the engines running. At 40k miles its certainly worth pursuing, get in touch with the previous owner and ask all about the low miles (thats what I did)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:15 pm

If you have the reg number, you can check the MOT history on line.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:32 pm

It sounds like there may be a roof motor problem which will sting a little in cost but as mentioned people fit them on here.

Mould would be a concern for me.

I got mine on 24000 in September and it runs perfectly without any issues at all. I'm glad i got a lower mileage Zed given the fault free running.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Low mileage car running spot-on, properly serviced and attended to, preferably garaged is a find. Low mileage car neglected and parked in a field spells trouble. Without an inspection to establish condition and history it's all guesswork :idunno:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost