Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie Question

First port of call for new members
Carmad84

Newbie Question

Post by Carmad84 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:48 am

Morning all,

Starting to look at buying one for the summer.

is there a buying guide on this forum? I am part of the Xdrivers forum and they have a great buying guide and I was wondering if someone had done the same on here?

Looking for some advise on what to look out for along with best options etc.

Currently the must have list consists of it being a 6 pot.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

elevensies

Newbie Question

Post by elevensies » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 am

morning, welcome aboard,

what do you want, a rag top, coupe, a new z4? which engine suits you for your needs ? sunday car, daily driver?

now every z4 will do all of this all of the time, and you will still grin no matter what you get,
nothing really to watch out for, apart from rear springs break, and the 3lt can be 'a bit jumpy when setting off' but other than that, nothing really to complain about

the drive is direct and you feel like your in a small cabin, they go around corners well, and when pushed go in a straight line just as well :thumbsup:

get one with as much fitted as you can afford, theres loads of differing specs, just as there are wheels, :driving:

11's
support our paras
"Utrinque Paratus"
https://www.justgiving.com/paracharity

Carmad84

Newbie Question

Post by Carmad84 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 am

Hi 11's,

It will defiantly have to be a rag top.

I currently have a X5 4.6is and was thinking of the 3lt however I would be more than happy with the 2.5lt if that is the better of the two engines?

If those are the only problems to watch out for then this should be a breeze.

:driving:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie Question

Post by Marlon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie Question

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Welcome aboard Gavin.

Coincidentally, I find myself in the same, but opposite position to you, currently looking for an E70 40d, having recently also joined XDrivers!

Wealth of information on here, and also a few nice cars for sale as well. Did you have a budget in mind? BEst sticking to the 3.0 engine if you are going down the 6 pot route IMO, auto or manual?

MIke

Carmad84

Newbie Question

Post by Carmad84 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi Mike,

Well you must have deep pockets getting an X5! They are not cheap to run, this is by far the most needy car i have ever owned, that said I love it.

It would have to be manual its the only thing on my X5 that i don't like is its Auto. Looking upto £5k however i have been toying with the idea of getting a project. Still undecided!

Gav

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie Question

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Carmad84 wrote:Hi Mike,

Well you must have deep pockets getting an X5! They are not cheap to run, this is by far the most needy car i have ever owned, that said I love it.

It would have to be manual its the only thing on my X5 that i don't like is its Auto. Looking upto £5k however i have been toying with the idea of getting a project. Still undecided!

Gav
Well it's replacing a totally reliable XC90 that I took to almost 240,000 miles without major incident (now sold to a member here who loves it!)

I do all of my own maintenance/repairs, so hopefully it'll just eat tyres and fuel!

Mike