Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Greetings from the Scottish Borders

First port of call for new members
Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 pm

The 8 speed auto is an interesting combination with a buzzy 4 cylinder engine, given that most of my recent cars have been turbo diesels, 2015 Mini Cooper SD Auto 169 Bhp and 2015 Volvo XC 70 Auto 220bhp, it feels fine in a steady state cruise but unseemly when overtaking..lots of downshifting and then upshifting but not much action when compared to the torque of either of the diesels...

I'm hoping an ECU remap will give it a new character.....

20 years of turbo diesels takes some unlearning especially how they have evolved over that period of time...

Still as far as I'm concerned it's not a car unless it has cruise control, air con, leather seats, auto and sat nav....

So to answer your question, great box, needs more power/ torque to get the best out of it IMHO...

:fuelfire:

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Pbondar wrote:The 8 speed auto is an interesting combination with a buzzy 4 cylinder engine, given that most of my recent cars have been turbo diesels, 2015 Mini Cooper SD Auto 169 Bhp and 2015 Volvo XC 70 Auto 220bhp, it feels fine in a steady state cruise but unseemly when overtaking..lots of downshifting and then upshifting but not much action when compared to the torque of either of the diesels...

I'm hoping an ECU remap will give it a new character.....

20 years of turbo diesels takes some unlearning especially how they have evolved over that period of time...

Still as far as I'm concerned it's not a car unless it has cruise control, air con, leather seats, auto and sat nav....

So to answer your question, great box, needs more power/ torque to get the best out of it IMHO...
:fuelfire:
Had an x4 30d msport for a couple of weeks from BMW last year,and it was great with that box and the 30d engine.
Not as smooth in lower gear changes,when compared to a double clutch (automated manual) box,as fitted to most Current M cars,Golf R, Porsches pdk,etc but a great box all the same.

Look forward to seeing the car and you at the April meet :driving:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:52 am

Hi yes I had an Audi A7 Quattro 315bhp TDi with DSG it was a fantastic combination...pity the car was so heavy, a great example of German engineering trying to negate the laws of physics...

Looking forward to the upcoming runs.... 8)

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Very nice motor Peter.......now, where did I put my sunglasses?
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.