Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

At long last...a Z4MC owner!

First port of call for new members
zomby

Post by zomby » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi all,

I've been looking at a Z4M Coupe for the best part of a year now and the wait is finally over! Some of you may have seen a thread in the M specific section regarding some problems I had with a Z4MC (56 plate, 70k) I bought around 5 weeks ago. To cut a long story short, I've kept the car and it's got a new engine fan, the engine itself has had a bottom end rebuild (all at the dealer's expense) and the it's now up and running! Although I'm keeping the revs low for the first 500 miles or so, the engine sounds incredibly smooth and all in all I'm very happy with how it drives. I'll be taking the car back to the garage (Autobahn Servicing in Halesowen) in a couple of weeks to get the oil inpsected and changed so fingers crossed, there should be no more issues and the engine should be as good as new!

I also asked the garage to replace the clutch as they said they'd only charge me for the part (£175). Apparently the original clutch wasn't too bad but at least I know it's done now. I'm pretty confident that the rebuild has been done to a high standard; the garage had about 8 E46 M3s in when I came to collect my car so I'm sure they know a thing or two about S54s!

I bought the car from Cameron Cars in Northern Ireland and they've been very helpful and reassuring throughout this whole process. I've no doubt in my mind that it was just an unfortunate series of events that lead to the problems and they were committed to making sure that the car was repaired to a high standard, regardless of cost. The were happy to let me have a copy of the invoice :o and boy am I pleased the problem occurred now rather than a few months down the line!

The car itself is in great condition for its age, both exterior and interior are in much better nick than the majority of Z4MCs I'd previously been to view. It's Sapphire Black, Imola leather, fully optioned up (heated seats, Nav, DSP, folding mirrors, cruise) and sports some nice CSL reps. Tyres, brake discs and pads had all been replaced recently and the Inspection 1 is c. 10k away so the car shouldn't need too much work in the near future.

Some post-wash pictures:

I know I've only just got the car back but I've already got a list of *light* mods I'm considering (I've already replaced the whippy :P )

1. Despite the list of options, the extended storage is not one of them! Therefore I'm thinking about retrofitting at least one (driver's side) cupholder. Looks like I can get the parts off eBay for about £70 and I assume this is an easy enough DIY job.

2. Should be getting an illuminated ZHP knob to replace the current one

3. Installing some new LEDs for the rear numberplate lights

And I'm not sure about these so any help/advice with the following would be appreciated:

4. Although I've got DSP the sound quality isn't up to scratch....I've tried playing around with the settings but to no avail. I've heard that coding the E85 settings into my E86 can improve the quality as apparently the roadster is set up better?

5. I am loosely considering getting the brake calipers painted red to match the interior. Does anyone have any experience of this and how much it should cost?

I also asked the garage to do a CDV delete as I'd been experiencing a lot of kangarooing in 1st and 2nd gear when I initially had the car. Turns out the CDV had already been removed! :oops:

Anyway thanks for reading and I'm glad to finally be a fully fledged forum member!
Last edited by zomby on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z4M Coupé - Sapphire Black/Imola Leather/Eventuri/BCS Powervalve Exhaust/Eibach Springs/Spacers/CSLs/Illuminated ZHP/Stubby

FN2 CTR - Daily

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Glad all came good mate :) i remember your cry for help shortly after taking the keys & have wondered how you got on with it
Anyhow the car looks belting & you should hopefully be able to enjoy some worry free ///Miles now :driving:
Welcome to the forum
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Welcome car looks amazing. Right up my street and all that work should see you in good stead :thumbsup:

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

I read your post at the time and really felt for you. I'm really glad it's sounding like it's sorted though, and good luck with the running in. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

The car looks great, love the colour combo and of course the alloys :thumbsup: enjoy. (I know there are a few of us who have had teething problems immediately after delivery. Mine went back after one day and took a month to be returned! Albeit for something a lot more simple. It's worth sticking it out like you have I'm sure). Enjoy!!!! :driving: :driving:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Wood Butcher

Post by Wood Butcher » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Looks superb! Hope you get to enjoy some nice summer drives once it's run in :driving:

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Looks great, welcome aboard!
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Wow quite an introduction to Zed ownership. :o Great to here things have been sorted out and you now have a cracking Z4MC to enjoy :driving:

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:49 am

Glad it's all sorted and hoping that it will now be trouble free.

Pity about the whippy!

Enjoy :driving:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:43 am

Welcome!
I'm glad it worked out in the end! Seems like the initial hassle to begin with was worth it? Like you said, majority of areas seem to have been tended to and replaced where necessary.

Lovely looking Coupe and now you get to enjoy! (summer round the corner) :driving:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

zomby

Post by zomby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 am

kis wrote:Seems like the initial hassle to begin with was worth it?
Definitely, I was pretty much ready to send the car back and give up on the M coupe dream but I'm glad I stuck through with it! I've learnt a lot about the car throughout this process and I feel much more secure now the work's been done.
Z4M Coupé - Sapphire Black/Imola Leather/Eventuri/BCS Powervalve Exhaust/Eibach Springs/Spacers/CSLs/Illuminated ZHP/Stubby

FN2 CTR - Daily

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Looks well and good to hear you're sorted. Where in NI are you from (im Belfast boy myself)
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Manfred

Post by Manfred » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:52 pm

Great looking car. Good luck.
2006 Z4MC Silver Grey

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Glad it's all worked out in the end, and the plus side is you now have new bearing shells :thumbsup: how much did the engine work cost out of interest?
A Dirty M///

zomby

Post by zomby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:20 pm

paddy wright wrote:Looks well and good to hear you're sorted. Where in NI are you from (im Belfast boy myself)
Not sure you'll have heard of it, it's a place called Birmingham :P I admit it's a long way for a car to travel but such is the market these days. Funnily enough the car has spent all its life in and around the West Midlands so I effectively just brought it home!
Yorkie Z wrote:Glad it's all worked out in the end, and the plus side is you now have new bearing shells :thumbsup: how much did the engine work cost out of interest?
The invoice from the garage came to around 3.3k and that's not including the dealer supplied shells and conrod. So I would imagine they would take the invoice over 4k?

FN2 CTR - Daily

pHilli0

Post by pHilli0 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:21 pm

zomby wrote:Hi all,

I've been looking at a Z4M Coupe for the best part of a year now and the wait is finally over! Some of you may have seen a thread in the M specific section regarding some problems I had with a Z4MC (56 plate, 70k) I bought around 5 weeks ago. To cut a long story short, I've kept the car and it's got a new engine fan, the engine itself has had a bottom end rebuild (all at the dealer's expense) and the it's now up and running! Although I'm keeping the revs low for the first 500 miles or so, the engine sounds incredibly smooth and all in all I'm very happy with how it drives. I'll be taking the car back to the garage (Autobahn Servicing in Halesowen) in a couple of weeks to get the oil inpsected and changed so fingers crossed, there should be no more issues and the engine should be as good as new!

I also asked the garage to replace the clutch as they said they'd only charge me for the part (£175). Apparently the original clutch wasn't too bad but at least I know it's done now. I'm pretty confident that the rebuild has been done to a high standard; the garage had about 8 E46 M3s in when I came to collect my car so I'm sure they know a thing or two about S54s!

I bought the car from Cameron Cars in Northern Ireland and they've been very helpful and reassuring throughout this whole process. I've no doubt in my mind that it was just an unfortunate series of events that lead to the problems and they were committed to making sure that the car was repaired to a high standard, regardless of cost. The were happy to let me have a copy of the invoice :o and boy am I pleased the problem occurred now rather than a few months down the line!

The car itself is in great condition for its age, both exterior and interior are in much better nick than the majority of Z4MCs I'd previously been to view. It's Sapphire Black, Imola leather, fully optioned up (heated seats, Nav, DSP, folding mirrors, cruise) and sports some nice CSL reps. Tyres, brake discs and pads had all been replaced recently and the Inspection 1 is c. 10k away so the car shouldn't need too much work in the near future.

Some post-wash pictures:

I know I've only just got the car back but I've already got a list of *light* mods I'm considering (I've already replaced the whippy :P )

1. Despite the list of options, the extended storage is not one of them! Therefore I'm thinking about retrofitting at least one (driver's side) cupholder. Looks like I can get the parts off eBay for about £70 and I assume this is an easy enough DIY job.

2. Should be getting an illuminated ZHP knob to replace the current one

3. Installing some new LEDs for the rear numberplate lights

And I'm not sure about these so any help/advice with the following would be appreciated:

4. Although I've got DSP the sound quality isn't up to scratch....I've tried playing around with the settings but to no avail. I've heard that coding the E85 settings into my E86 can improve the quality as apparently the roadster is set up better?

5. I am loosely considering getting the brake calipers painted red to match the interior. Does anyone have any experience of this and how much it should cost?

I also asked the garage to do a CDV delete as I'd been experiencing a lot of kangarooing in 1st and 2nd gear when I initially had the car. Turns out the CDV had already been removed! :oops:

Anyway thanks for reading and I'm glad to finally be a fully fledged forum member!
Looks great :thumbsup: I wish you every success in stopping yourself from starting the mods lol
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/