Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

First port of call for new members
russy01

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by russy01 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Good Evening,

After posting a wanted thread in the For sale section a lovely member popped me a message and presented me with the perfect car...

2003 3.0i in Sapphire Black
77k miles
Full service history, new tyres, new discs and pads, roof motor relocated to the boot - you get the idea, it's been well looked after and in great shape after 13-14years on our roads.
The only slight downside is the wheels, the 108s have done their usual trick and need a bit of TLC...

Being a few years old there are a few things to sort out, but I'm enjoying having something to fiddle with. So far I have:

- restored the headlights
- replaced aerial with a stubby
- touched up a few stone chips
- sprayed the grills black
- removed foam from the sound gen

First impressions are fairly good. Well put together, solid, sounds nice, looks smart, goes well.
The engine is a peach for cruising around and isn't bad when giving it some, although I just wish it had another 500-1000rpm so it really moved and screamed a bit (Z4M!!). The let down at the moment is the handling, living out in the countryside our roads are terrible and the brand new RE050 RFTs are tramlining like a bitch - I can't wait to put some proper rubber on it.
Compared to the S2000 its very sedate, but a nicer place to sit and considerably better value.

The car is our 3rd car and completely uneccessary, we have a brand new Range Rover Evoque and brand new Golf GTi PP. Whilst lovely cars and brilliant for nipping the little one around in, they are a little boring and since selling my S2000 several years back (wish I didn't!) I have craved another rag top! So...I decided to pick up a cheap summer car to get my fix of top down driving and to have a toy to polish!

Here we have a couple pictures when I picked it up yesterday - I haven't taken any since I have started working on it, I will grab some at the weekend.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk25 ... mduy7v.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk25 ... 8azlif.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk25 ... eylsrl.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers....

LordOxygen

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by LordOxygen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Nice looking car, near enough identical age and milage to mine and purchased for similar reasons. They're no S2K, but very easy to drive over long distances. If you want a bit more noise consider the sound generator mod, costs nothing and is reversible.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi Where are you in Somerset?

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by Ewazix » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Nice one, loving the stubby :thumbsup: :wink:

I had horrible tramlining experiences with RFT's on our dodgy Somerset roads but some proper rubber, a suspension refresh (control arm 'lollypops', front ARB's, track rod ends & replace busted rear springs) plus a full 4 wheel geo sorted it eventually and well worth the effort :)

I'll keep an eye out for you what area of Som are you?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

russy01

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by russy01 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:11 am

Cheers for the kind words...

I'm in the Glastonbury area, see a couple cars most days. One having a plate, D12 JEB or something in sterling grey.

Sound gen mod - I did this within 5mins of getting home! Removed the foam nearest the cabin, will try the other one for a bit of fun later.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by paddy wright » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:56 am

Welcome. Nice looking z you have there!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Spikey

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by Spikey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:10 am

Welcome great looking Zed
We are often down your way on our regular Sunday morning run outs give me a shout if you would like to join us :thumbsup:

andystone

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by andystone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am

I'm in Yeovil but regularly out your way! Welcome!
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

russy01

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by russy01 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 am

Cheers...

Popped on the Black Grills this morning (let them dry overnight) and it really finishes the front off - not a fan of the Chrome...
Also checked out a couple tiny marks I touched up last night and its dried nicely with a good colour match - I'll give it a buff back later...

Will grab some photos later when Ive given it a good clean...

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by Marlon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:55 am

lovely looking Zed :driving:
Interesting that you say Compared to the S2000 its very sedate Surely there isn't much between the two in terms of power? The S2000 is 238bhp and 0-60 in around 6 sec, isn't that similar to the 3.0i? Obviously the Honda is higher reving so screams more but is it that much faster?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

russy01

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by russy01 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 am

In terms of outright speed I would say there is nothing between the 2, although the S2000 feels much more manic...

Engine:
S2000 - Work of art, surprisingly flexible (not as flat as people make out considering it only has 150lb torque). VTEC is fantastic, 6000-9000rpm at the top of 3rd feels completely wrong, but yet so fun and sounds ridiculous!
Z4 - Engine is brilliant, smooth, powerful and torquey. Sounds nice, but doesn’t have that extra wow. If it revved for another 750rpm it would be special…I imagine the M has this extra I am looking for..

Gearbox
S2000 - Hands down best manual I have ever used. Perfect position in the cabin, short, solid and mechanical throw. Absolute joy to change gear…
Z4 - Pretty good to be fair, longer throw than the S2000 and feels a little plastic in comparison. But still great and heel n toe or rev matched shifts work nicely (great pedal position) and sound great.

Handling
S2000 - Light, darty and direct. Front end rips round and sticks as its much lighter upfront (and the engine is right back in the engine bay), but back never feels particularly planted. Grips and grips but without warning snaps - so you feel happy to whip it round tight B roads at lower speeds, but takes time to trust it in faster bends as the back end moves around a bit with direction changes.
Z4 - More lethargic from the off (but its supposed to be). Steering is not as direct (slower rack I assume) and you have a much heavier front end due to 50% bigger engine. Its actually quite the opposite to the S2000, rear feels planted as you are literally sat on the rear wheels so its happy to fly around big A roads at high speeds, but show it some tight twisty bits and its hard work as you need a lot more lock turn to turn and it pushes wide on slower tighter bends.
Although with a few choice mods to the front and some new tyres I think it will be pretty decent...

Which car you prefer depends on what roads you drive and whether you want to cruise or really attack the roads where you can. I think the Z4 is a good compromise between the two, offering great straight line performance, half decent handling and incredible value for money. If S2000s continued to depreciate and sat at Z4 values (where they should be) Id have one, but now they are increasing in value its hard to justify the extra ££ unless thats exactly what you want. I sold mine in 2013 (replaced with M135i) for £8500 and now it would probs be advertised at £11000 which is daft.

Thanks.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by Marlon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 am

thanks for the detailed comparison fella :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

kinger

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by kinger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Russ, welcome to the forum, i followed an identical car to yours back from South Wales on Wednesday, great looking car :rofl:
Mike

Current - E89 35is Saphire Black
Previous- E89 35i Space Grey

russy01

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by russy01 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 pm

kinger wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:30 pm Hi Russ, welcome to the forum, i followed an identical car to yours back from South Wales on Wednesday, great looking car :rofl:
Mike
Haha cheers kinger... it's looking good now I've given it a bit of TLC...

Also taken both bits of foam out the sound gen today and it sounds ridiculous!! Probs a bit too much tbf, but I'll try it for a few days.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Black Z4 3.0 in Somerset

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:28 am

Interesting comparison OP.

Maybe if they had made an S2000 with a proper roof.........!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black