Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Very possibly new (to her) 2006 Z4

First port of call for new members
larrycad

Post by larrycad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:55 am

Darling wife is VERY close to pulling the trigger on a used 2006, dark blue Z. Car has some issues which I hope to be able to correct and look forward to sharing the adventure with the members here. Two biggest concerns are that the top won't go down, and there is a LOUD clunk when turning a corner. This one is weird as it sounds like a steel bowling ball in the front, rolling around with the engine. There are about 4 colored lights on the dash so will pick on them one at a time. I personally have a 325CI convertible which I have repaired the top on, including rebuilding the two claws that clamp the top down. I'm assuming the operation is similar with the hydraulic supply. If I crank the claws loose with the allen wrench, it will reclamp electrically with the switch, just won't unclamp. When cranked loose, no hydraulic supply operation. Is this a common problem with the 06? Will let you all know when I find the "bowling ball" which will come after she signs the papers. :headbang:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:08 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Roof failure in the Z4 is invariably down to the main pump motor getting waterlogged as it's in a ridiculous position. The top clamp motor is normally extremely reliable.

Happily the other is easily fixable, without removing the roof.

Mike

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 am

Mike has failed to market himself as effectively as he could have there OP- he actually does the roof motor relocation fix if ur round the merseyside way. Yw mike 8)

I'd also strongly suggest OP, that u invest in a bmw-specific OBD scanner and scan the ecu if agreed with the seller as it could be hiding a veritable multitude of other issues....

Which lights are showing? If EML or ABS or steering then definitely get it scanned....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Welcome to the forum, get some photos up of the car pretty smartish as there members who will give you abuse..I know as I have suffered at that hands :whistle:
As mentioned the roof motor is best re-sited to the boot, the old motors can and do come back to life, ducklakeview does this too.
What engine, spec is the car ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981