Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

First port of call for new members
BlastDK

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by BlastDK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and the Zed 4 world - however I do currently own a E90 330i and love it.

In my search for the perfect car for the B roads ( within in a budget of 10-12K EUR ) my eyes and heart have landed on the Z4.
I am aming for a 3 litre E85 roadster model. my question is.:

the 3.0i is slightly lighter compared to the SI version - Is there any differens in weight distibution between the two cars, if yes is it anything noticable?

also any other differences between the 2 models besides for the obvious power differnece?

what is your take on the "nibleness" of these cars, do they compare in anyway to lets say a mx5?

I see some people here talking about faulty roof mechanis ( engines/ actuators ) but my impression is that some of the roofs are manually operated?

Thank you in advance guys.

/kevin.
Last edited by BlastDK on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1000rr

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by 1000rr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:14 pm

I test drove a few MX5's (2.0 sport) before plumping for the 3.0i Z4.

The Mx5 was more chuckable, handled better, felt more go-cart like and had better steering.

But, the 3.0 Z4 is better at cruising, quieter, better build and feels more special, and for me, the boot is larger for weekends away. And the straight 6 is epic. :thumbsup:

They are totally different, the MX5 feels like a proper little sports car, the Z4 feels more of a GT car.
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

BlastDK

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by BlastDK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 pm

@ 1000rr - Thx for your answer. I had the feeling that the mx5 might feel more sports car like - I guess i have to try both. I just think i will miss the power from the straight 6..

1000rr

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by 1000rr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 pm

There's no power on the MX5 until the top echelons of the rev range, it felt very flat, handled brilliantly though once the tc was turned off. I had my heart set on the mk3.5 2.0 sport MX5, but everyone i looked at had the dreaded rusty sill problem... Was looking at 2010 cars.

I wasn't looking at Z4s' until someone pointed them out to me and told me to have a test drive. After even the 2.0 litre one, my heart was set.

Edited to add, i looked at 8+ Zeds before settling on my current one a few months ago. There's a lot of unloved dogs out there described as mint, and i had many a wasted journey. one dealer tried to punt on one that was Cat b, twice! (on the face of it , it looked mint until i did a check on it as it just looked fresh out of the paintshop on a few panels) I eventually bought a forum members car which had all the options i was looking for, as well as a few others for a very good price, a lot older than i was looking for (2004) but i found condition and mechanicals is everything not year of manufacture as most are quite old now anyway. There's some great blokes and girls on here that have a wealth of information and are very willing to help you out, they have me and i'm a very new member :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I had the motor relocated the other week to the boot, as a preventative measure by a member on here for £80, and had a respray on the front to correct some minor damage that occured after 2 weeks of owning it (parked outside work and someone hit it and didnt leave a note! :headbang: ) All in all, im chuffed to bits.
Last edited by 1000rr on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

BlastDK

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by BlastDK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm

That is the excact same MX5 i have been looking at. Didnt try one yet .. but the dealer I am visitin this weekend for a test drive have both a MX5 and the Z4 so will try to get a drive in both.

Also my wife pointed me in the direction of the Z4 seems our stories are pretty similar.

srhutch

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by srhutch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Regarding roof, depends where you live, but in the UK all are insulated and electric (apart for 1 or 2 special order cars)

USA market has non insulated, non electric roof available.

BlastDK

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by BlastDK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 pm

1000rr wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 pm
Edited to add, i looked at 8+ Zeds before settling on my current one a few months ago. There's a lot of unloved dogs out there described as mint, and i had many a wasted journey. one dealer tried to punt on one that was Cat b, twice! (on the face of it , it looked mint until i did a check on it as it just looked fresh out of the paintshop on a few panels) I eventually bought a forum members car which had all the options i was looking for, as well as a few others for a very good price, a lot older than i was looking for (2004) but i found condition and mechanicals is everything not year of manufacture as most are quite old now anyway. There's some great blokes and girls on here that have a wealth of information and are very willing to help you out, they have me and i'm a very new member :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I had the motor relocated the other week to the boot, as a preventative measure by a member on here for £80, and had a respray on the front to correct some minor damage that occured after 2 weeks of owning it (parked outside work and someone hit it and didnt leave a note! :headbang: ) All in all, im chuffed to bits.
Thx for tha add... I will have a look around in different cars before jumping on one for sure.. Sorry to hear about the parking incident you had - that sucks balls..

BlastDK

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by BlastDK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:06 pm

srhutch wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:46 pm Regarding roof, depends where you live, but in the UK all are insulated and electric (apart for 1 or 2 special order cars)

USA market has non insulated, non electric roof available.
I am based in Switzerland. I talked to a colegue that owned a Z4 years back, he said his was manually operated - i would prefer that my self as it seems like a very easy job to open and close + less chance os something breaking.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by Smartbear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 pm

The si n52 engine is lighter than the earlier m54 lump, I presume any extra weight came from more soundproofing (doors sound much more solid in the si)
Extra weight is better in the middle rather than over the front wheels :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

BlastDK

Z4 3.0i Vs 3.0si

Post by BlastDK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 pm The si n52 engine is lighter than the earlier m54 lump, I presume any extra weight came from more soundproofing (doors sound much more solid in the si)
Extra weight is better in the middle rather than over the front wheels :thumbsup:
Rob
very true about rather havin the weight in the middel than over the front wheels. but maybe having overall lower weight will be even better?

I guess the two cars are very similar in the way they drive, apart from the extra power.