Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof checklist before buying?

First port of call for new members
BlastDK

Post by BlastDK » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 am

Hello Z4 people,

I have tried to search for a check list or an explenation on how to check the roof before bying.
I could't find anything by searching but will appologize on beforehand if I am asking something that has been covered a 1000 times.

I read about the drains and the hydrulick motor faliure due to overfloating. Is there any way to check if the roof mechanism is worned out and about to fail? anything to pay attention to while watching the roof open and close etc?

Also besides a visual check on the cloth roof it self, are there anything to be aware of?

Thank you all for a great forum, its been a big help already.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am

Not a lot you can actually check. It either works correctly or not. If it's slow, that could be a sign that the motor is sitting in water, most are...

They do fail all of a sudden due to the water issue, mine did a week after purchase.

If you buy one, I highly recommend mobbing the motor into the boot, as it's a case of when rather than if they fail.

I do offer the relocation service for £80, and I'm based in WA9.

Good luck with the hunt!

Mike

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:53 am

If it's an E85 (I can only comment on this model because it's the only one I've owned) Check that It opens and closed smoothly while the car is running. Check the lining is in good condition and no rips or wear n tears near headrests and at the back between the headrests where the fabric of the liner catches the clip the top locks into when open. Check the leading edge of the top sits nice and tight against the windsreen panel when closed. Check there's no spaces between the rubbers when the rubbers of the top meet the screen in the corner. See pic below, the red circle shows the area to be concerned about. If there's a space here the rubber in the top can 'generally' be pulled forward in it housing to close the gap. Check there's no daylight showing through on any of the rubbers when the windows are closed and the roof is up.
Check the outer fabric for and signs of excessive wear, rips or tears. especially where the top disappears into the bodywork. Press the fabric away from the bodywork and look inside.
P1030335.JPG
P1030335.JPG (149.75 KiB) Viewed 816 times
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

BlastDK

Post by BlastDK » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 amNot a lot you can actually check. It either works correctly or not. If it's slow, that could be a sign that the motor is sitting in water, most are...

They do fail all of a sudden due to the water issue, mine did a week after purchase.

If you buy one, I highly recommend mobbing the motor into the boot, as it's a case of when rather than if they fail.

I do offer the relocation service for £80, and I'm based in WA9.

Good luck with the hunt!
Hey Mike, Thx for this info - appreciate it.

I am based in Switzerland so not so easy to get to WA9 and have you do it.
I hope I will be able to do it my self one day.
I will defenately clear out the drains as soon as i buy one.

BlastDK

Post by BlastDK » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:38 pm

DMC63 - thx a lot for your tips, i will being this checklist when I am checking the next Zed. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=96403&p=1415586#