Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New owner - naughty modification hmmm!

First port of call for new members
Young Pretender

Post by Young Pretender » Sat May 13, 2017 10:44 am

Hey all,

Actually my second newbie thread, having now purchased my first zed about a month ago. Due to the impending birth of our second child I figured this might be the last opportunity for a while to get away with a roadster so I sold the E90 m3 and went for the E85 3.0se roady with 47k miles on the clock, fully refurbed 108's and a nearly new set of goodyear eagle f1 asym 3's. Have to say I'm in no way disappointed with the change. Despite the performance credentials of the m3 I never quite convinced myself that I loved it whereas I've fallen for the zed immediately.

I think the speaker system is an optional upgrade, VIN decoder states 'hi-fi upgrade' or something similar and it has 10 speakers - astonishing quality. It's been a revelation to step away from the talk shows on 5live and root through the old cd collection for many a nostalgic screaming session with the roof down lol :P :oops:

Anyways a couple of pics..

[IMG]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo34 ... pe2syc.jpg[/IMG]

One after it's first clean. I'll be breaking out the machine polisher when I get time because the paintwork has a lot of swirls but otherwise it's very clean

[IMG]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo34 ... w4ik0e.jpg[/IMG]

Onto the naughty mod. It's got an LT400 laser jammer sitting behind the kidney grill and a visual alert system (led) under the instrument cluster. Initial thoughts were 'great, assuming it works, that'll help' but as I look into the legalities of these things it appears that despite being legal to have one, it is actually possible to get done for perverting the cause of justice essentially upgrading your motoring conviction to a criminal one. With that in mind I'll be removing it from the car because a criminal conviction would prohibit me in my line of work. It also has a traffic master smartnav fitted which looks to be some sort of archaic nav system that I want to remove as it's basically obsolete nowadays.

Laser jammer

[IMG]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo34 ... jk6nuw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo34 ... tydskt.jpg[/IMG]

I'm not going to go mad with modifying the car just going to enjoy it as much as possible in standard form albeit I'll be keen on the maintenance side. Looking at the following however;
  • Roof motor relocation to boot - hoping to find someone in the south east that can complete the job for reasonable money?
  • Exhaust backbox mod to encourage a little pop and fizz - again hoping to find someone reputable in the south east that can do this whilst I wait?
  • Mirror coding - I've been searching on this but not sure if it will be possible? I have electric folding mirrors but they only fold up at low speeds. I would really like them to fold up at any speeds.

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 am

Can the Old Bill tell if you're 'jamming' their detector as you nip past doing 150? :?
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Young Pretender

Post by Young Pretender » Sat May 13, 2017 10:55 am

From what I have read, their guns would still get the footage of you but they would get an error message on the speed reading. So they could potentially pull you over still. Have read about examples where they came around to the offenders house with a warrant on suspicion of a jammer being fitted and found it on the car leading to a charge of perverting the course of justice. Other examples they were able to use the footage to demonstrate the cars speed between two points. Might all be hearsay but I think I'd prefer the points :)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat May 13, 2017 10:56 am

Nice.
Looks like it has aftermarket headlights?
That jammer would def get you into a lot of bother on the continent too. Whip it out lad!
Can i suggest spacers - 20 rear, 15 front. And blacked-out grill surrounds too - then it could be the twin to mine :lol:
What are u playing on the stero then?
With me it's mostly bassdrive.com streamed from phone. Or a bit of pink floyd, usually 'live at pompeii' :D
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat May 13, 2017 11:00 am

Young Pretender wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:55 am From what I have read, their guns would still get the footage of you but they would get an error message on the speed reading. So they could potentially pull you over still. Have read about examples where they came around to the offenders house with a warrant on suspicion of a jammer being fitted and found it on the car leading to a charge of perverting the course of justice. Other examples they were able to use the footage to demonstrate the cars speed between two points. Might all be hearsay but I think I'd prefer the points :)
Correcta'mundo apparently :thumbsup:

http://www.motorists-lawyer.co.uk/blog/ ... e_law.html
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am

DMC63 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 am Can the Old Bill tell if you're 'jamming' their detector as you nip past doing 150? :?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.11 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

Young Pretender

Post by Young Pretender » Sat May 13, 2017 11:21 am

Chris_D wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:56 am Nice.
That jammer would def get you into a lot of bother on the continent too. Whip it out lad!
Can i suggest spacers - 20 rear, 15 front. And blacked-out grill surrounds too - then it could be the twin to mine :lol:
With me it's mostly bassdrive.com streamed from phone. Or a bit of pink floyd, usually 'live at pompeii' :D
Yes headlights do look aftermarket, or maybe just taken apart and the surrounds painted black (not sure)
Spacers are a good idea yes, I agree it needs it. Are 20 rear 15 front likely to give me any rubbing? tyres are 255/35/18 rear and 225/40/18 fronts

Counting crows is getting the most airtime at the moment but also a bit of ed sheeran, pendulum, groove armada and queens of the stoneage! :D :rofl:

Cheers
Mark

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat May 13, 2017 11:41 am

Chris_D wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am
DMC63 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 am Can the Old Bill tell if you're 'jamming' their detector as you nip past doing 150? :?
image.jpeg
:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You Nutty Scouser. :thumbsup:

OP ignore this man, he is certifiable and a Scouser. :wink:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat May 13, 2017 11:59 am

Young Pretender wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:21 am
Chris_D wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:56 am Nice.
Yes headlights do look aftermarket, or maybe just taken apart and the surrounds painted black (not sure)
Spacers are a good idea yes, I agree it needs it. Are 20 rear 15 front likely to give me any rubbing? tyres are 255/35/18 rear and 225/40/18 fronts

Counting crows is getting the most airtime at the moment but also a bit of ed sheeran, pendulum, groove armada and queens of the stoneage! :D :rofl:

Cheers
Mark
No rubbing issues with those spacers - u have same wheels as me. Maybe a tad, a mere soupson, the slightest touch when on full lock doin a 3 point turn....

have seen pendulum live a couple of times and also groove armada a tthe Paradiso in Amsterdam. they were top. place erupted when they broke into 'superstylin'. :lol:
they're playing some caravan park in the south of holland in july. might pop down...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat May 13, 2017 12:00 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:41 am
image.jpeg

shuttit yewz! :lol:

Young Pretender

Post by Young Pretender » Sat May 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Cheers mate, spacers sound good, can live with a slight nibble on full lock..

Pendulum must have been pretty nuts live! :evil:

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Young Pretender wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:44 am It also has a traffic master smartnav fitted which looks to be some sort of archaic nav system that I want to remove as it's basically obsolete nowadays.
What makes you say that? :o

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:49 pm

image.jpeg

Can't be sure who you're referring to as a scouser :? I'm a Londoner, of London heritage, a rare breed 8) Maybe it's my accent when typing :? I did visit Birkenhead once.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Young Pretender

Post by Young Pretender » Sat May 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Dav the wheel nut wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm
Young Pretender wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:44 am It also has a traffic master smartnav fitted which looks to be some sort of archaic nav system that I want to remove as it's basically obsolete nowadays.
What makes you say that? :o
It just looks like very old tech. You basically hit a button which then transfers you via your phone connection to a the traffic master call centre. You then give them your destination details and they send a file back to the system which then talks you through the directions. Either pay an annual subscription or a charge per route.

You can just use an app on your phone nowadays for free :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat May 13, 2017 4:58 pm

DMC63 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 1:49 pm

image.jpeg

Can't be sure who you're referring to as a scouser :? I'm a Londoner, of London heritage, a rare breed 8) Maybe it's my accent when typing :? I did visit Birkenhead once.
Chris_D & me like, are the Scourers. :wink: