Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Guy asking for help

First port of call for new members
Boris

New Guy asking for help

Post by Boris » Sat May 20, 2017 11:04 am

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me.

I am currently looking for a car for sunny days for my wife and I.

The car will probably only ever be used while the sun is shining we both have other cars as our daily car.

The good lady has taken a liking to he Z4, there is one in a local garage but its very rough so now looking a little wider afield.......I know nothing about the car hence this post.

It will probably be an older model we go for so I'm looking for some help with the history of the car from you experienced guys, lets say from the time it was launched I don't even know that.

What I mean is engine line up when this changed, ones to avoid, face lift models you know the stuff.

Any help would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Nev

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

New Guy asking for help

Post by paddy wright » Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 am

The z4 was launched in 03 with 2.0, 2.2, 2.5 and 3.0 engines- all but the 2.0 are the 6 cylinder M54 engine. The facelift came in 06 and this brought the N series of engines 2.0, 2.5, 2.5si and 3.0si. These are generally quicker cars but the engines have proved less leliable than the earlier cars (no major issues though). The facelift changed the shape of the front and rear bumpers as well as the rear lights along with a few other very minor changes. There was also the 3.2///M launched in 06. The e85 z4 ended production in 09. IMHO the pre-facelift is the better looking car. It as with all these things but on condition and history not age. Post any links to cars and I'm sure people will advise you accordingly on each one- also search out alanj's buyers guide on the forum. And lastly welcome and good luck with your search! :driving: :thumbsup:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

srhutch

New Guy asking for help

Post by srhutch » Sat May 20, 2017 12:03 pm

paddy wright wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 am The z4 was launched in 03 with 2.0, 2.2, 2.5 and 3.0 engines- all but the 2.0 are the 6 cylinder M54 engine. The facelift came in 06 and this brought the N series of engines 2.0, 2.5, 2.5si and 3.0si. These are generally quicker cars but the engines have proved less leliable than the earlier cars (no major issues though). The facelift changed the shape of the front and rear bumpers as well as the rear lights along with a few other very minor changes. There was also the 3.2///M launched in 06. The e85 z4 ended production in 09. IMHO the pre-facelift is the better looking car. It as with all these things but on condition and history not age. Post any links to cars and I'm sure people will advise you accordingly on each one- also search out alanj's buyers guide on the forum. And lastly welcome and good luck with your search! :driving: :thumbsup:
Only thing I would add is the 2.0i seems to be the engine that causes the most issues. Normally with O2 sensors and can be hard to sort.

I would echo that the M54 6 cylinder is probably the most bullet proof engine out of the lot and eaiser to work on than the later N52 engines.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

New Guy asking for help

Post by firebobby » Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi, where are you in the country, as you may be able to meet up with a local member, who could show you what these cars are like. There are sorted cars for sale on the forum, how much are you thinking of spending?
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Boris

New Guy asking for help

Post by Boris » Sun May 21, 2017 11:19 am

Great stuff exactly what I was looking for thanks. :thumbsup:

I have downloaded the buyers guide as well which is very helpful.

I have found a car for sale VERY close to me here in Durham, I've checked the history out online and its had a bit of work done most MOT's to get it through and its due a new one in June so that would be a must other than that it doesn't look too bad I may well go have a look later today if the guy is free,

its here https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/2003-bmw- ... 1236845333

Can someone please tell me when the timing belt is due for change on this model?