Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New 2003 3.0i Owner

First port of call for new members
IAmOrion

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks whilst checking out some Z4's. I picked mine up yesterday (Sunday 12th) and so far am happy.
I am "IAmOrion" aka James, from Cambridge!

I've bought it as a "do-er-upper" as it needs some TLC. The body work has some scrapings and a dent one side where the 3.0i logo is. The roof doesn't work, driver side headlight fixings are broken, wheels need re-furbishing, it is a CAT D but obv VIC passed. Has the 6CD Changer, Sat Nav, Electric Memory Seats, Folding mirrors etc etc. 71,000 miles, just serviced, few parts replaced and passed MOT with no advisories (The headlight sits in place fine... I'm assuming no one poked it during the test lol)

All in all, I paid £1500 so I'm happy. Nice project car to keep me occupied at weekends.

Thus far:

I have new wheels enroute, I say new, they are re-furbs with new tires but far better than these in the pics.
I checked the micro-switch and the top motor. The micro switch is broken. However, for "testing" purposes I bodged it to work.
The roof still doesn't work after bodging the switch though as the top roof motor that unlocks/locks the roof in place I assume has stripped the gearing. The motor makes the noise but doesn't release. My dad gave me a hand, and we were manually able to release and lower the roof using the T25 screw in the motor block (and once released, the UP/DOWN buttons work prefect). Hence we've come to the conclusion that an angled gear or something off the motor is probably buggered. I've got one ordered and it's way too :D
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

Carmad84

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by Carmad84 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Nice little project you have there, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to advice you on a stubby aerial..

Enjoy

IAmOrion

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Carmad84 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:05 pm Nice little project you have there, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to advice you on a stubby aerial..

Enjoy
Ooh, never even thought about a stubby aerial! Advice will be appreciated :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by firebobby » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, looks like you picked up a nice little project there. The roof motor can be bought back to life and there are a few member on here who can move the motor to the boot area. As for doing the roof manually, just turn the boden cable in the boot (red thing) and you should be able to just pull the roof down. What's the interior (Photos) like ?.
It may be cheaper to just get another front wing in the same colour and bolt it on.
Anyway, good luck with it :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

IAmOrion

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:11 pm

firebobby wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:08 pm Hi and welcome to the forum, looks like you picked up a nice little project there. The roof motor can be bought back to life and there are a few member on here who can move the motor to the boot area. As for doing the roof manually, just turn the boden cable in the boot (red thing) and you should be able to just pull the roof down. What's the interior (Photos) like ?.
It may be cheaper to just get another front wing in the same colour and bolt it on.
Anyway, good luck with it :thumbsup:
Yeah already sussed the roof manually and that cable :) well, I got a motor on the way now already. Although I will look out for a relocation guide.

Interior needs a f*****g good clean. I will get some pics tomorrow and add to my first post.

Good thought - I will take a look on eBay now for some front wings. Are they easy to remove/change?
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Wow! 1500? that's 2 gwaand cheaper than my almost identical 'project car' :lol:
take a butchers at my 'betty's first tantrum' thread as you will probably be facing some similar issues in the not too distant future. Oil leaks may be your primary concern if they havent already been addressed. oil consumption too. keep an eye on it. can be easily diagnosed and rectified. get ur obd scanner out too to see if any fault codes are lurking.
keep us posted re progress fella :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by firebobby » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:23 pm

There is a breaker that others have used (can't think who though) who seems pretty decent in price and service. Gumtree is another place, you just missed out on someone breaking a black one up your way. Yours looks black in the photos.
They are much easier than the back wings to remove, they are bolt on, so no welds to cut through. I have never removed one, but others have and no one has said it's a pig of a job.
There are a few members around your way, sure they will be along soon.
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

IAmOrion

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:32 pm

firebobby wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:23 pm There is a breaker that others have used (can't think who though) who seems pretty decent in price and service. Gumtree is another place, you just missed out on someone breaking a black one up your way. Yours looks black in the photos.
They are much easier than the back wings to remove, they are bolt on, so no welds to cut through. I have never removed one, but others have and no one has said it's a pig of a job.
There are a few members around your way, sure they will be along soon.
That's great, good to know thanks, I will keep my eye out!
Chris_D wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:20 pm Wow! 1500? that's 2 gwaand cheaper than my almost identical 'project car' :lol:
take a butchers at my 'betty's first tantrum' thread as you will probably be facing some similar issues in the not too distant future. Oil leaks may be your primary concern if they havent already been addressed. oil consumption too. keep an eye on it. can be easily diagnosed and rectified. get ur obd scanner out too to see if any fault codes are lurking.
keep us posted re progress fella :thumbsup:
I will take a look :) It's been parked up over night and no oil spill on the floor. I did go round it to look for oil leaks, but can't see any thus far. Let's hope none develop! I have my OBD scanner ready to check tomorrow morning as I'm at work now. I will certainly keep updated on progress ;)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Welcome to the forum. Just what what you need for those summer evenings after work, to stop you getting bored. :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Welcome OP - even for a Cat D that seems like a real bargain for a 3 litre!

I've just seen your new wheels - good luck with the rest of your plans. :thumbsup:

Great to see it found an owner who will bring it back up to scratch.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

IAmOrion

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:53 pm Welcome OP - even for a Cat D that seems like a real bargain for a 3 litre!

I've just seen your new wheels - good luck with the rest of your plans. :thumbsup:

Great to see it found an owner who will bring it back up to scratch.
Well, yeah I think it was a fair price - I drove 2.5 hours to get it! (5 hour return journey) There was another one closer to me just half hour away willing to go for £1650 as he wanted a quick sale, but that's £150 more that I can spend on bits to fix this one lol - we enjoy the odd project now and then :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by firebobby » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm

These are on Gumtree, black wing for £120 and up your way too
https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replaceme ... 1247947803
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

IAmOrion

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by IAmOrion » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 pm

firebobby wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm These are on Gumtree, black wing for £120 and up your way too
https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replaceme ... 1247947803
Oooh, only half hour away!! Thanks for the link - I'm going to contact them tomorrow!! Nice find thanks :D
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by paddy wright » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:41 pm

That will make a tidy car- love seeing people save a z reatger than break them!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

IAmOrion

New 2003 3.0i Owner

Post by IAmOrion » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:43 pm

paddy wright wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:41 pm That will make a tidy car- love seeing people save a z reatger than break them!
:thumbsup: love a work in progress :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22