Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Noob looking to purchase

First port of call for new members
Wafoo

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Wafoo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:25 pm
Wafoo wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 pmWhat about the poor 2.2i, you can't ignore that!
Sorry but BMW ignored it, not me - they didn't do a 2.2 in the facelift! I think that is what the lower powered 2.5 was intended to replace.

BTW it was good to meet you this morning. :thumbsup:
I didn't read the facelift bit....doh

And I was late for work, the weather was to good to fritter away on trivialities like that, especially on those roads! :evil:
Merlot 2.2i SE, so far new discs and pads, seats replaced, Cam cover replaced, Roof now fixed, new diff x3, new halfshafts, new drop links and other bouncy bits,

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Noob looking to purchase

Post by paddy wright » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:25 pm
Wafoo wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 pmWhat about the poor 2.2i, you can't ignore that!
Sorry but BMW ignored it, not me - they didn't do a 2.2 in the facelift! I think that is what the lower powered 2.5 was intended to replace.

BTW it was good to meet you this morning. :thumbsup:
As an engine a 2.2 is superior to a facelift non si 2.5 N52. Same power but way more reliable. BMW didn't forget it- there are millions of 3 and 520s out there running the 2.2 M54.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:56 pm

paddy wright wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 pmAs an engine a 2.2 is superior to a facelift non si 2.5 N52. Same power but way more reliable. BMW didn't forget it- there are millions of 3 and 520s out there running the 2.2 M54.
Sorry, I should have said they ignored it so far as the facelift Z4 was concerned! Mind you they also dropped it in the 3 Series when the E46 ended in late 2004, so I'd be surprised if they were still putting it in anything by the time the facelift Z4 came out in 2006.

BTW I'd agree with you about the M54 engine (I've got one in my 325ti). :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Wafoo wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:31 pmAnd I was late for work, the weather was to good to fritter away on trivialities like that, especially on those roads!
Never mind being late for work - you had more important things to do! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Highlander

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Highlander » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Had a Tiger Super 6 myself OP......most impractical "car" I've ever owned and indeed am ever likely to own..........think on a wet day I was better off on my bike!!.....at least I could wear waterproofs without dehydrating and had better visibility on the bike.
My idea was to replace my KTM Superduke with this but after 1 trip to Ullapool the wife refused to ever go in it again(think the phrase "deathtrap" might have been mentioned)
Sold to another "enthusiast" from Skye :P
Good luck with your hunt for a Z4 :thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (160.27 KiB) Viewed 2010 times

Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks for all the info folks.

They are totally impractical Highlander, I agree ... but there's just something about them isn't there :roll:
Can't beat 70mph with your backside 3" off the ground! haha :D

Just wanted a few opinions on the 2 Litre Z4 models if I may.

Keeping in mind I'm not looking for huge performance from the Z4, just a happy top down cruiser for the weekend.

Is the 2 litre to be avoided or will it suffice?

Thank you

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Marlon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:18 am

Nifty wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:46 am Thanks for all the info folks.

They are totally impractical Highlander, I agree ... but there's just something about them isn't there :roll:
Can't beat 70mph with your backside 3" off the ground! haha :D

Just wanted a few opinions on the 2 Litre Z4 models if I may.

Keeping in mind I'm not looking for huge performance from the Z4, just a happy top down cruiser for the weekend.

Is the 2 litre to be avoided or will it suffice?

Thank you
The question of whether to go for a 2 litre or not is one that has been passionately debated on the forum many times.
I traded my 2 litre for a 3 litre because I wanted more power. The 2 litre was fun to drive top down on the twisties, but for me lacked straight line grunt.
My 2 litre had intermittent engine warning lights that I never got to the bottom of and I've heard about many 2 litres suffering the same issues. Having said that, there are many members who have 2 litres and have no such problems.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks Marlon

Seems to be a severe lack of Z4's for sale in our local area (Cumbria) so looking towards the North East.
Wondering about the below vehicle for a cheap run-around.

Would love peoples thoughts on it:

http://www.whitleybaymotors.co.uk/used- ... 5085231840

Did these have the sticky steering problem when hot?

Thanks for your help

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Marlon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Worth a look 2.5 litre & low miles, I would want to know the service history to back up that mileage though :wink:

Just checked out the MOT history - mileage checks out, covering around 4 - 5k per year. Lots of failures but mainly on wear and tear - tyres, brakes and corroded brake pipes. Still need to see the service history, you want to see a regularly stamped service book.

EDIT: heated seats too :thumbsup:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
911 997 Carrera S

Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks Marlon

Do you know ... I didn't even know we could check the MOT history of a vehicle .... Not done a great deal of used vehicle purchasing! :)

Just checked it myself and really not happy at the number of fails, think I'll just let it go and keep looking.

Thanks again, great help :thumbsup:

Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:35 am

Well I've only gone and done it! :?

Bought a 2006 2.0SE, I was on the lookout for a 2.5 really but the 2.0 my wife and I went to see was in such immaculate condition we couldn't resist it :D

As I was test driving it I thought it's not the sportiest of vehicles (especially after the Tiger) but I'm getting on in years now so I asked myself what do I really want from this car?

The answer is just a bit of wind in the hair, relaxed cruising. I'm not going to be taking it to track days or trying to beat the young guns away from the traffic lights :D so I decided the 2.0 will do for me.

Whether I have made a wrong decision or not I'll just have to wait and see but for now I can't wait to get it, next week :driving:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Marlon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Congrats - don't forget to post up some pics once you get it home :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S

A5 VRX

Noob looking to purchase

Post by A5 VRX » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Well done Nifty, they are great cars. Have you made the wrong engine choice...Of course you have! There is no replacement for displacement! :rofl: Only kidding, have fun it in while the weather is still here!
Ex - 2.5 Si Sport Roadster
Now - 3.0 Si Sport Coupe, AP Coilovers, CSL’s, ZHP

Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:58 am

Hi folks

Well, it's been delivered! :D
I can't put photos up yet as it's tucked up in the garage at the moment, drying out! Was delivered in absolute pouring rain after a 90 mile journey. Will get time at the weekend to put it somewhere nice for a few shots :)

I think there may be a problem with it though - I reckon the fuel gauge isn't reading correctly.

When we test drove it, it was showing quarter of a tank. They put fuel in when setting off to deliver it from 90 miles away, when they got near they said the fuel light came on and they diverted to a filling station to put £10 worth in for the rest of the journey. Another 15 miles or so later it arrived ... and it's still showing quarter of a tank. Too much coincidence I think.

So first trip will be to the filling station to fill it up and see what happens to the gauge.

I've read some horror stories about the fuel sender/tank replacement....bracing myself for a big bill here

Shine has been taken off a little :cry:

Cheers

Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 am

After doing a little more reading I see that people with similar problems have managed to "unstick" a faulty fuel sender with Techron.

It cleans up the silver and palladium contacts on the senders.

Worth a try considering the cost .... Is there a smiley for keeping everything crossed, fingers, legs .... eyes!

:)