Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Noob looking to purchase

First port of call for new members
Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi all

I recently sold my Tiger Supercat and thinking of replacing it with a Z4.

What are the common pitfalls or things I shoukd look for when purchasing say a 2007 or 2008 Z4?

I know it's maybe a vague sort of question but any knowledge you can impart would be gratefully received :D

Thanks for your time

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Noob looking to purchase

Post by markplant » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Have a read of this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Noob looking to purchase

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Pitfalls :roll:

though fortunately if bought wisely none of the 07/08 Z4s will ruin you , its this forum that fans the flames :D
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Welcome OP - obviously on here we would all congratulate you on your impeccable taste! :lol:

There was a facelift in early 2006, so all cars built in the years you have specified will be facelift models.

So the first question is do you want a Roadster or a Coupe? Also bear in mind the Coupe only came with the 3 litre engine.

If it is a roadster, which engine do you want? There is a choice of 4 cylinder 2.0i, 6 cylinder 2.5i, 6 cylinder 2.5Si (fundamentally a 2.5i that isn't restricted by mapping) and lastly 3.0Si. (FWIW my local BMW independent recommends avoiding BMW 4 cylinder engines).

Both Roadster and Coupe were available as "M" models with a 3.2 litre engine that same as in the E46 M3, but as you didn't mention this what follows assumes you aren't considering one of those. :lol:

Then do you want manual or automatic?

Z4s came in SE and Sport spec - the latter have slightly lower, stiffer suspension but probably more important much more appropriate seats for this sort of car! But Sport seats were an option on SE models, so you may get lucky!

Bear in mind as well that your budget may limit your choices on the above! But if you narrow it down to a couple of options ideally you want to try each of them before you decide. If you specify where you are located you never know, someone on here may be able to help with that!

Then there is the question of options, as standard spec is rather basic! Do you need electric seats, heated seats, Xenon headlights (recommended), parking sensors, cruise control, multi-function steering wheel, CD changer or upgraded stereo? Some of these are an easier retro-fit than others so work out what would be a deal-breaker.

Finally, this may help you a bit:- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281&hilit=Buyers+guide

You could also have a look at the E85/E86 problems header on the forum, or try the search function.

I may have missed one or two things, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along with their advice soon!

Good luck finding the right one, and don't forget to post photos. :lol:

ETA Too much typing - markplant beat me to it!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

srhutch

Noob looking to purchase

Post by srhutch » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:46 pm
If it is a roadster, which engine do you want? There is a choice of 4 cylinder 2.0i, 6 cylinder 2.5i, 6 cylinder 2.5Si (fundamentally a 2.5i that isn't restricted by mapping) and lastly 3.0Si. (FWIW my local BMW independent recommends avoiding BMW 4 cylinder engines).

The 2.5si is mechanically different to the 2.5i. You cannot remap the 2.5i to 2.5si spec.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:22 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:56 pm
The 2.5si is mechanically different to the 2.5i. You cannot remap the 2.5i to 2.5si spec.
There you go OP - I was sure someone wold know! :lol:

Just out of curiosity srhutch what are the differences? They're both N52 engines in the facelift I assume?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:25 am

Thank you for your responses and Mr Tidy .... that answer was above and beyond the call ... thank you :)

I was thinking about a 2.5 roadster.

I read somewhere about sticky steering on older models meaning an expensive steering column replacement. Is this a common problem?
I also heard that the roof drains in the wheel arches block and make the roof leak?

Are there any other common problems to check for?

Thank you again :D

Very much appreciated

philbo909

Noob looking to purchase

Post by philbo909 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 am

Nifty wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:25 am Thank you for your responses and Mr Tidy .... that answer was above and beyond the call ... thank you :)

I was thinking about a 2.5 roadster.

I read somewhere about sticky steering on older models meaning an expensive steering column replacement. Is this a common problem?
I also heard that the roof drains in the wheel arches block and make the roof leak?

Are there any other common problems to check for?

Thank you again :D

Very much appreciated
Mark's link really explains all this, but problems with coils breaking and bushes wearing is common. Not too expensive a problem to have though
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Marlon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:20 am

Nifty wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:25 am . . .

The blocked drains don't make the roof leak - the water that collects damages the roof motor that BMW in their infinite wisdom placed there!
There are members on here that will clean and overhaul the motor and relocate it to the boot for very reasonable cost :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Silverzedtom

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

The roof motor problem is poor design. The gutter where the rear section of soft top meets the metal leads to two 'wells'. One well (n/s) houses the roof motor and has a small rubber bung with a very small opening that likes to get blocked with debris from the sky and trees. I check both sides of mine every couple of months and use a custom covers hood cover for mine as when it's on the rouge guttering isn't used
Getting the motor moved to the boot as they did on the e89 is a cheap and easy job that a fair few forum members do.

Only a small niggle really but the cup holders aren't built to last. I have replaced both of mine.

The coolant tank is a weak spot. I have seen a fair few posts about cracking.

There will always be bits that break / fall off or just wear out on an e85, a lot of the parts don't owe us much at ten years old.

Once you have done your research and found the car for you I'd forget about problems until they / if they arrive. This is such a big forum there's a vast list of problems that can create fear :lol: Very handy if sh1t does hit the fan though.

Hope your in a zed soon!
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Nifty

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Nifty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Thank you.

AlanJ's check list post is great, thank you for directing me there.

A lot to think about.
I'm in Cumbria and there seems to be none for sale anywhere near me which I find odd.
Probably going to have to look towards the North East to purchase.

I'll keep researching while I search :)

Thanks for the warm welcome :thumbsup:

srhutch

Noob looking to purchase

Post by srhutch » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:22 pm
srhutch wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:56 pm
There you go OP - I was sure someone wold know! :lol:

Just out of curiosity srhutch what are the differences? They're both N52 engines in the facelift I assume?
Yes same engine. The intake manifold is different, but not sure what else. There is more info on here as some have looked into upgrading. Always been deemed not worth trying.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:52 pm

srhutch wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:20 pms same engine. The intake manifold is different, but not sure what else. There is more info on here as some have looked into upgrading. Always been deemed not worth trying.
You learn something every day - thanks! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Wafoo

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Wafoo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 pm

What about the poor 2.2i, you can't ignore that!
Merlot 2.2i SE, so far new discs and pads, seats replaced, Cam cover replaced, Roof now fixed, new diff x3, new halfshafts, new drop links and other bouncy bits,

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Noob looking to purchase

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Wafoo wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 pmWhat about the poor 2.2i, you can't ignore that!
Sorry but BMW ignored it, not me - they didn't do a 2.2 in the facelift! I think that is what the lower powered 2.5 was intended to replace.

BTW it was good to meet you this morning. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black