Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 after 18 months

First port of call for new members
M3titan

Z4 after 18 months

Post by M3titan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Bought a high mileage (90,000) E89 in white , 2010 model with full BMW history , used as a weekend car and generally has been a disappointment , so many niggling faults that are prevalent in the newer BMW models. Having owned the older E46 M3's , Z3 2.8 and E39 M5's and enjoyed virtually bullet proof reliability and solidly constructed cars the newer BMW's like this E89 and the E90 335i i , M5 V10 E60 that i have owned more recently , the newer BMW's just do not compare for relaibilty/faults
This E89 has had both its gearbox and rear differential bearings rebuilt/replaced , hard top micros switches replaced twice , driver window regulator renewed and a few more minor issues that just didnt happen with the older models i owned , reluctantly the Z4 is being replaced at the end of the summer , its a truly stunning looking car but i can do without the aggravation and the ear ache i get from my wife who uses the car on a regular basis
Not a great first post , and although i have been a fairly loyal to BMW over the years i will not be looking to purchase anything post 2006 from the marque , i will be looking for a well serviced M3 E46 convertible (and back to the M3 cutters forum) that will not only be easier on my wallet but will actually appreciate in value
Had a good look on the forum over the last few days , very informative and some great advice on here no doubt there are some trouble free E89's out there , just wish i had bought one of them :)

pHilli0

Z4 after 18 months

Post by pHilli0 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:56 pm

M3titan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:34 pm Bought a high mileage (90,000) E89 in white , 2010 model with full BMW history , used as a weekend car and generally has been a disappointment , so many niggling faults that are prevalent in the newer BMW models. Having owned the older E46 M3's , Z3 2.8 and E39 M5's and enjoyed virtually bullet proof reliability and solidly constructed cars the newer BMW's like this E89 and the E90 335i i , M5 V10 E60 that i have owned more recently , the newer BMW's just do not compare for relaibilty/faults
This E89 has had both its gearbox and rear differential bearings rebuilt/replaced , hard top micros switches replaced twice , driver window regulator renewed and a few more minor issues that just didnt happen with the older models i owned , reluctantly the Z4 is being replaced at the end of the summer , its a truly stunning looking car but i can do without the aggravation and the ear ache i get from my wife who uses the car on a regular basis
Not a great first post , and although i have been a fairly loyal to BMW over the years i will not be looking to purchase anything post 2006 from the marque , i will be looking for a well serviced M3 E46 convertible (and back to the M3 cutters forum) that will not only be easier on my wallet but will actually appreciate in value
Had a good look on the forum over the last few days , very informative and some great advice on here no doubt there are some trouble free E89's out there , just wish i had bought one of them :)
I am with you on 2006 being the sweet spot for BMW quality. I had a 2006 early E90 330d and it had comfy seats and great build quality. Was rock solid and felt great all the way past 130k miles. I "upgraded" to a much newer face lift E90 330d which was just worse in many ways. The only thing better was the sat nav for obvious reasons. I sold it about 6 months later dissapointed.
My Z4M is 2006 and somehow feels great from an overall build point of view. I have had engine dramas with cams that I needed to replace but S54 joys and risks are well discussed and known and that doesnt detract from my love of the car.

I would love an E39 M5 and would have one in a snap if one came along at the right price.

The newer cars just dont feel quite right as if they have taken everything to its minimum rather than maintain an edge of perceived quality. Shame I am a big fanboy but like you am looking at older models rather than current for potential purchases. The M2 may be fast and easy to drive but it feels corporate spreadsheet with a bodykit not racer with a soul.
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4 after 18 months

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:58 pm

M3titan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:34 pm Bought a high mileage (90,000) E89 in white , 2010 model with full BMW history , used as a weekend car and generally has been a disappointment , so many niggling faults that are prevalent in the newer BMW models. Having owned the older E46 M3's , Z3 2.8 and E39 M5's and enjoyed virtually bullet proof reliability and solidly constructed cars the newer BMW's like this E89 and the E90 335i i , M5 V10 E60 that i have owned more recently , the newer BMW's just do not compare for relaibilty/faults
Some interesting comments in there. Take a Z4///M out for a spin before you settle on an E46. Very reliable cars and far more involving and exciting than an E46 M3 IMHO. :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 after 18 months

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:12 am

Agree with much of what you have said OP, but just curious to know what model E89 you had?

Sweet spot for me is the M54 engine - after that they just seem to get complicated for the sake of complication!

And that's despite my E86 having the N52 engine - but if BMW had got things done in a timely manner there would probably have been E86s with an M54 which would have been my choice.

I know how a dipstick works, so why not fit one FFS?

I also found out how painful an electric water pump is, so why fit one in the first place FFS?

Just glad I don't ever want an E89 as they also have the "benefit" of an electric handbrake - another solution to a problem that didn't exist (search software upgrades)! :lol:

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black