Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Maiden Voyage :-)

First port of call for new members
Nifty

Post by Nifty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi all

Took the Z4 out for the first time today - and I really need your help!

How do you manage to get the silly grin of your face? :D

Oh man, it was fantastic.
Seemed to be running as smooth as can be. :driving:

One thing I did notice, and I would like to ask your advice on, the steering seemed to be very twitchy for most of the run.
It could be just because I'm not used to it of course but there was one point when I accelerated to overtake a slower vehicle and when I pulled back in the car seemed to pull left across the road quite abruptly.

It was very windy today where we live so I'm hoping it just caught the wind as I went past a field gate.
I did feel like I was always correcting the wheel a little as I drove at higher speeds though. Nothing too serious and actually quite enjoyable hehe :)
Just wondered if this was the usual experience of Zed driving.

Another ... minor problem .... I've got a seriously sunburnt head! haha ... I guess the storage compartment between the seats is for sun cream? 8)

Cheers all
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 990 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (112.85 KiB) Viewed 990 times

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Sounds like your getting excellent smiles per mile. No known cure for that I'm affraid. It comes from owning a roady. :thumbsup:

The pulling left after an over take sounds like tram lining. The road goes that way to bin the rain and Zeds love to follow. Tyres and tyre pressures will affect it. If you have run flats, they have a reputation for it too. You do also naturally adjust to it a little.

obewan

Post by obewan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:00 pm

Tram lining - Well worn bridgestone run flats by any chance?
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Prestonese

Post by Prestonese » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 pm

That looks a really sweet motor! I love that colour but it was really difficult to find one in the spec I wanted! What engine did you plumb for in the end?
2007 Z4M Roadster / Ruby black / Red Leather / No Mods

Prestonese

Post by Prestonese » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:16 pm

A 2.0 of course! I should have zoomed in a bit.... :headbang:
2007 Z4M Roadster / Ruby black / Red Leather / No Mods

blackabbot

Post by blackabbot » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:57 pm

Lovely Z, bought mine in febuary silly grin is still there, if your bonce is like mine wear a hat :)
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks guys, so that's what tramlining feels like.

My better half was a bit concerned with the slight weaving but I said that the guys on the forum often talked about tramlining so maybe that's what we're getting here.

I've got RFT's all round, 2 fitted brand new before we bought it, loads of tread on the older 2 too so can't really justify changing them yet.

I'll just have to slow down or get used to it :)

Yeah, I was looking for a 2.5 but when we saw this one in such excellent condition we couldn't resist it. I'm not out for any boy racing so the 2 litre suits me absolutely fine :)
I thoroughly enjoyed just cruising today, put the foot down now and then of course and it felt great.
Wife would kill me if I went out and traded this for 3 litre :roll:

The Z5 is out soon though isn't it so I bet there's a load of Z4's about to hit the used vehicle market .... when she's not looking I'll be keeping one eye open for another ... mwahahaha. :evil:

I love the gun metal grey and it doesn't matter from which angle I look at the car, it just looks beautiful!

Off to dig out a hat .... or a parasol :D

Thanks very much folks
Cheers

AndyO

Post by AndyO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Nifty wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:45 pm
Another ... minor problem .... I've got a seriously sunburnt head! haha ... I guess the storage compartment between the seats is for sun cream? 8)
Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97031
First time Z4 owner in Cheshire.
2011 E89 Z4 sDrive23i M Sport Auto. Black Sapphire. 19" 326M wheels. Purchased May 2017 (for pleasure).
2004 E83 X3 2.5i Sport Auto. Bluewater Metallic. Purchased June 2018 (for practicality).

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:15 am

Actually despite what has been said earlier, the silly grin syndrome afflicts Coupe owners as well - it comes from driving ANY Z4! :poke: I've been suffering from it for 3 years now. :thumbsup:

Maybe you need to convince your wife you need a Coupe to prevent the sunburn issue - that way you get a 3 litre or an M to go with it, and somewhere to store your sunglasses! :lol:

The tramlining seems a bit hit and miss - both mine had Bridgestone RFTs but the first one did it more than my current one, even after it got new front control arm bushes. Worn tyres seem to make it worse, and I found even a slight drop in tyre pressure didn't help. If you can't get used to it the general consensus on here seems to be to check and if need be refresh front suspension & steering bushes/joints then get a full wheel alignment (after ditching RFTs, but I can see why you wouldn't do that right now)!

Still, it can't be too serious if you still get the silly grin! :lol: Enjoy. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:14 am

The steering issue is almost definitely the RFTs, get rid of them and enjoy a much better driving experience.

The RFTs will mask any other fix you decide to do.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:11 am

Hi and welcome. Nice looking car.

Only cure for the grin is to sell the car.

Tramlining - mine managed to provoke that behaviour on worn Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas. Once replaced (with Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics) all was good.

Re burnt head - toupee, a Wayne Rooney weave, a cap; anything but a coupe!! :poke:

Carry on enjoying :driving:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 am

Thanks guys.

We went for a spin yesterday (didn’t really need to go for some bits n’bobs at Asda … but any excuse eh?) hehe :D

The back roads that we live on are in poor condition but part of the journey took us on the new(ish) Carlisle bypass, and to be honest the difference was remarkable.

The car was steady and smooth with zero twitching …. So, tramlining it is then.
Thanks for the education.

I want to get the car round to a friends this weekend as he has a pit in his garage so I can get under and have a good poke about to check the bushes. They were flagged as an advisory on its 2016 MOT but not mentioned on its 2017 MOT and as far as I know, they have not been replaced …. Different day … different MOT tester I guess.

Still, the grin was from ear to ear during the whole drive …so I’m a very happy camper 8)

Cheers

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 am

Its great to hear someone new to the Zed experience enjoying to so much, that grin will appear every time you get in it - or look at it :D
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S