Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New guy says hi here.

First port of call for new members
qqzj

New guy says hi here.

Post by qqzj » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi Guys, Got restless today and finally made the decision to join. I am driving a Subaru BRZ now. But I am thinking about getting another car for fun. Therefore, cannot afford too much. Maybe $10k tops. It seems that I might fit in the E86 group. As a long time driver of Japanese cars, this would be my first German car. So I got quite a few questions, please bear with me.

1. How expensive to keep a Z4? Don't worry about insurance. I am good driver and it should not be a lot more than BRZ. I am mostly interested in the mechanical side of it. I am quite versatile with wrenches. Did most of the work on my super old Toyota. Changing brake pads and rotors, timing belts etc. But no experience whatsoever with BMWs. Any suggestions?

2. How many parts need to be changed out as preventive maintenance. I almost never do this. But once changed the radiator of an Acura as a safe measure. Felt pretty sad to throw away a radiator that might last another 50k miles. Since I heard a lot of PM needs to be done on BMWs, I am kind of concerned. Is it true?

3. General items that might fail and are they DIY-able? Any suggestions would be great.

BTW, is this forum is the place where most Z4 owners hang out? I heard about bimmerfest before. But decided to give Z4-forum a try first. Thanks!

qqzj

New guy says hi here.

Post by qqzj » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm

One more question. Z4 looks like a super sporty vehicle, but why isn't it often mentioned in all kinds of car magazines like car and driver, and motortrend? With much more horse power etc, why isn't it better than a Miata? I am always puzzled by this. Any body can share some insights? Thanks.

Paulr

New guy says hi here.

Post by Paulr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm

I brought a 14 year old 75,000 mile 2.5 because they look good, it was great value, and they are simple to work on, although so far this year I have not had to do anything to it apart from some mods I wanted to do like fit an aux audio cable. I Just drive and enjoy it!

Forget what others say about various cars, everyone has an opinion these days! Best thing to do? Drive one. If you like it, get one. If you don't, don't.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

qqzj

New guy says hi here.

Post by qqzj » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 am

Thanks man. I do like this generation Z4's look, more so than the previous Z3 and the new Z4. So did you get a stick shift Z4? Seems this way there is less potential issues. But then my wife would be really pissed off. Haha, the best way to keep a car to myself is to make it stick.