Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Portuguese Hello from Warsaw

First port of call for new members
Joao_S

Post by Joao_S » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello everyone!

Sorry the extensive post and allow me to introduce myself first:
My name is Joao, I'm from Lisbon, Portugal, but since almost one year I moved to Warsaw, Poland.
Big change, this was the first time in many years I was without car but I promised myself that as soon as I could I would be looking for a something. :)
I've been flirting with Z4 (E85) for a while and few weeks ago I managed to buy my 2003 3.0i with 166000Km.

Most of you may not know, but buying second hand car in Poland is a massive adventure. You find a lot of crap shining, smelling and looking like new, but it turns that car is a junction of two or three cars.

Anyway, with a little bit of luck and instinct I managed to buy something that I consider a good deal regarding age/km/condition.

I found an advert of something I was looking. Color, wheels, extras and looked totally stock.
Prepared a list of things I wanted to know about the car and the seller and asked a colleague of mine (Polish colleague and petrolhead) to contact the guy because I don't speak Polish yet (shame on me).
They spent around one hour talking and taking notes. In the end my colleague told me: "Mate, go for it or someone will take it. Find some one that can give you a look at the car and send you a report.". If a local gives you this advice it's because it's worth.
The car was in Krakow, ~350Km south of Warsaw.
Mission for next day: Hire a service that could have an inspection on the car, send me a report and, based on that, decide.
Next day, at 7h I called some BMW experts, but they could not do the job. Frustration because I felt the clock ticking against me.
As soon as I arrived office I asked again my colleague to contact the seller saying that I was looking for someone to check the car. Bad news, he had already two visits scheduled, one for 12h and other for 14h that was coming from Warsaw.
I had to make a move. Going there? 2h train? Take a domestic flight? 50mins? I could loose the car and going there for nothing. Reserve the car without seeing? I had to do something because the car would be sold for sure.
"Ask the seller how much he wants to reserve the car", I said.
My colleague asked me 5/6 times "Are you sure?" and I replied the same amount of times "No, but do it" :)
Me and seller agreed that this reserve amount would be lost if I decided not take the car. All visits to check the car were canceled.
I was relieved! The car was closer to me.
Next step: Hire the inspection service. Did it even before lunch time. In the afternoon they met (inspection service and seller). Before 22h I had a very detailed report with an overall information about buying or not the car. It was a big YES!
Sent a text message in Polish (powered by Google Translator) saying that I keep the car.
"I must be crazy in buying a car without see it", I said to myself.

Few day after, took the train to Krakow, meet the seller (Who doesn't speaks English or Portuguese at all) and somehow we managed to communicate (thanks again Google Translator).
When I saw the car I felt totally in love. <3

Brief history of the car. Bought around 4 years ago in Germany (single owner) with a damage in the front wing. Damaged pieces were replaced, car was repainted (Sterling gray), new soft top (maybe new roof motor I have to confirm), refurbished 108 wheels. During the last four years the guy changed some parts in the exterior and interior (tail lights, headlights, trim parts) and he bought many others to replace that the he gave me to change. The car is in very good shape. Not a single scratch in the body. Car used in summer only. Engine without leaks and running as swiss clock.

Was a joy drive it for around 5h from Krakow to Warsaw.

Hope you had a joy as well reading this long post where I tried to share what was my adventure buying this car.

Some pictures of it:

Cheers!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Quite a story but worth the effort its a great looking Z4 roadster you have there :thumbsup: :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Carmad84

Post by Carmad84 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Nice looking car there :driving:

Joao_S

Post by Joao_S » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Marlon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:59 pm Welcome to the forum.
Quite a story but worth the effort its a great looking Z4 roadster you have there :thumbsup: :driving:
Thank you Marlon. Yes, it was kind of kamikaze but everything went well. :)
Carmad84 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 pm Nice looking car there :driving:
Thank you!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Welcome, always enjoy a good read. Where would we be without Google these days, :lol: Fine looking Z4. :thumbsup:

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Wow great story good luck with the z4 :thumbsup: why the move to poland ?
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Welcome to the Forum OP. :thumbsup:

That is a brave way to buy a car, but looking at the photos it looks like you got a great example!

Now all you need to do is enjoy! :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Joao_S

Post by Joao_S » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:52 am

buzyg wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:52 pm Welcome, always enjoy a good read. Where would we be without Google these days, :lol: Fine looking Z4. :thumbsup:
Google translator helped me a lot since I arrived. Less now, but I still need it very often.

Thanks for reading the post until the end!

Joao_S

Post by Joao_S » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 am

jabber wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:25 pm Wow great story good luck with the z4 :thumbsup: why the move to poland ?
Thank you!

Why Poland? Have you ever seen polish women? :D
Apart from this, which is true because they are gorgeous, I was in a project where the resources where split between Lisbon and Warsaw. I was in Lisbon and I had a proposal to move to Warsaw!

Joao_S

Post by Joao_S » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:58 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm Welcome to the Forum OP. :thumbsup:

That is a brave way to buy a car, but looking at the photos it looks like you got a great example!

Now all you need to do is enjoy! :driving:
Thank you very much.

Sometimes you just need to risk a little bit more.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:43 am

Joao_S wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 am
jabber wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:25 pm Wow great story good luck with the z4 :thumbsup: why the move to poland ?
Thank you!

Why Poland? Have you ever seen polish women? :D
Apart from this, which is true because they are gorgeous, I was in a project where the resources where split between Lisbon and Warsaw. I was in Lisbon and I had a proposal to move to Warsaw!
Women - Good a reason as any
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi and welcome. Thanks for the pictures - it does look good.

And good luck with learning Polish. I visit Warsaw every now and again on business and don't know a single word!

Enjoy - the women and :driving:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Joao_S

Post by Joao_S » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:10 am

RickRob wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 pm Hi and welcome. Thanks for the pictures - it does look good.

And good luck with learning Polish. I visit Warsaw every now and again on business and don't know a single word!

Enjoy - the women and :driving:
Thank you!
I know already few things in Polish, but the language is very hard.
Some friends of mine are here for couple of years and they speak poor polish. :lol:

Cheers!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:43 am

Wow, what a story. Welcome to the forum by the way.
We were in Krakow earlier in the year and I was amazed that I didn't see one Z4 in all the time we were there, stunning looking car :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Joao_S

Post by Joao_S » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:58 pm

firebobby wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:43 am Wow, what a story. Welcome to the forum by the way.
We were in Krakow earlier in the year and I was amazed that I didn't see one Z4 in all the time we were there, stunning looking car :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You don't see many Z4 in warsaw as well. Well you see more E89 than E85/E86 for sure.

Thank you for your welcome!