Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Member, Future Z4 Owner

First port of call for new members
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:00 am

Morning all!

Just joined the forum, long time lurker but thought i'd introduce myself.

After a variety of small engine 7 - 10 year old hatchbacks it's time for my first 'proper' car and first BMW.

Previous cars have all been bought from a garage/dealer however seeing how much info, detail and love the majority of you put into them i'd now much rather purchase from an enthusiast who has looked after it for enjoyment :thumbsup:

Few quick questions,

Regarding test driving, inspecting a car before purchase I have previously been capable of checking the basics however BMW's have bits that I have never had in the past. Cruise control, rear wheel drive, convertible mechanical roof. Has anybody used a AA, RAC... pre-purchase inspection when buying privately?

2.5/3.0L Is the difference going to be noticeable for someone who is use to a 1.4 petrol? Might as well go for the more desirable 3 liter if so.

Bookmarked the buyers check list :thumbsup: ( viewtopic.php?t=21281 )

What i'm after,
E85 Roadster
Pre-facelift model (prefer the looks!) 2003-05
Gery
3.0 Liter
Interior wise, i'm not overly fussed on spec/gadgets
Exterior bodywork condition is quite important

Budget/current prices, i'm thinking £5k should get me one in better than average condition with this spec

Many thanks! :)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:18 am

looks like you've done your homework - welcome along and good luck :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am

Sensible budget for what your looking for and I agree with you buying from an enthusiast. Welcome and good look finding a great Zed. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 am

Hi Mr Sparrow, you should find a nice one for £5k if you loiter around here-its a lot of car for the money!
Be careful after driving your 1.4 as these can be a hairy ride :driving:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm

If you haven't already done so read about seat options. In my view worth holding out for electric and heated sport seats. Makes top down motoring comfortable even on a dry winters day - its why you are looking for a roadster :lol:

Good luck with your search :thumbsup:

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi and welcome aboard :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Looks like you have done a good bit of homework and that will help a lot when it comes to buying, should get a nice average mileage example for that budget, would definitely suggest buying from an enthusiast have a look at and keep an eye on the For Sale section here something will pop up :thumbsup:

Never used any pre-check services minus the usual HPI checks, I just check things myself, if you have a look through the checklist you linked you wont go wrong :)

Coming from a 1.4 the 2.5 and 3.0 will be a big jump also need to consider the RWD element, personally I would always suggest the 3.0 but you wont go wrong with a 2.5, my 3.0si Coupe will manage up to 35-40mpg on the motorway which I was very surprised at!

Spec wise (again totally personally) I'd make sure you have at least heated seats and.... cup holders :roll: :rofl:

The guys & girls here are excellent and will happily answer questions :thumbsup:

EDIT: This might be worth a look! viewtopic.php?f=41&t=95513
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi and welcome OP.

As has been said you seem to have worked out what you want! You will find a 2.5 or 3.0 pretty exciting after a 1.4, especially as you will also have RWD! But it's probably worth looking for a 3.0 as running costs are pretty much the same as for a 2.5, and in a year or two you won't be left wondering what if.....!

Seat wise electric and heated are desirable, but my priority would be M-Sport seats rather than Sport ones - Sport ones just don't deserve to be fitted to a car like the Z4 IMHO!

Good luck with your search, and don't forget the photos once you have found one! :wink:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks for the replys :thumbsup:

Three of you mentioned heated seats so that's something to add to the list :) Is it just the drivers or both seats that are heated?

I'm now thinking about skipping the pre-purchase inspection thing. I've always serviced my vehicles plus a bit of research on here will get me a good list to check through.

Regarding payment to a private seller, obviously they aren't going to have a card machine so is cash the only alternative? What have you all used in this situation?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 am

Its not just heated seats - it's heated 'M Sport' seats that are the preferred choice. You can get standard 'Sport' seats that are heated but don't offer anywhere near the support and comfort of 'M Sport' seats :wink: (heated seats come as a pair)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Filtermike

Post by Filtermike » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 am

Welcome you will enjoy either the 2.5 or 3.0 :thumbsup:
Jaguar F-Type - Bluefire Blue
M2 Competition DCT - Hockenheim Silver :D
E89 2016 3.5iS plus all the extras - Valencia Orange - gone :o
E89 2014 2.8i M sport Valencia Orange - sold
White E89 2.3i High Line sold and missed

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Sparrow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 amRegarding payment to a private seller, obviously they aren't going to have a card machine so is cash the only alternative? What have you all used in this situation?
Sorry OP, I only just noticed this question. :oops:

I used online banking for my first Z4, and did the transfer for the 2nd one by phone (same bank account). Money arrived in the seller's account while I waited both times.

Cash isn't too popular these days, partly because you don't really want to carry it around but also because the seller my have issues depositing it due to money laundering regulations - banks seem to be required to think it is payment for his latest cannabis crop! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:55 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 pm
Sparrow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 amRegarding payment to a private seller, obviously they aren't going to have a card machine so is cash the only alternative? What have you all used in this situation?
Sorry OP, I only just noticed this question. :oops:

I used online banking for my first Z4, and did the transfer for the 2nd one by phone (same bank account). Money arrived in the seller's account while I waited both times.

Cash isn't too popular these days, partly because you don't really want to carry it around but also because the seller my have issues depositing it due to money laundering regulations - banks seem to be required to think it is payment for his latest cannabis crop! :lol:
Thanks, yes i'd obviously be happier with a bank transfer as too i'd expect a seller would be :thumbsup:

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Ref paying for a car purchase to a private seller, many UK banks are now part of the faster payment service so you should be able to do an online banking payment that is received by the seller within 2 hours. See the following link for more details;

http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/about- ... r-payments

Of course, you will need to ensure that you can access the internet to arrange the transfer at the seller's location though, and that they are internet banking savvy to verify that they have received the money!

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue