Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacement Z4 Top

First port of call for new members
upsdriver1988

Replacement Z4 Top

Post by upsdriver1988 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:57 am

I have recently purchased a sweet 2003 Z4 with 87K miles. It is pristine but for the convertible top. Has anyone replaced their top that can give me some guidance as who to buy from? Thanks

Crazy Harry

Replacement Z4 Top

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am

Hi and welcome.

Time to take a moment or a few - what is the problem with the soft top?

They clean well even from green and roof motors can be brought back to life and moved to the boot where they will keep dry (a service provided by a number of other members costing far less than a good night out!). Don't take it off - only as a last resort if its hanging in tatters :o

Post us some photos so we can see :thumbsup:

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Replacement Z4 Top

Post by Swiftly » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 am

upsdriver1988 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:57 am I have recently purchased a sweet 2003 Z4 with 87K miles. It is pristine but for the convertible top. Has anyone replaced their top that can give me some guidance as who to buy from? Thanks
There are a few members who have bought new replacement soft tops and in various colours over the years, If you use search there are a number of threads on the subject. Not sure where you are located but I had this company book marked and I believe forum member jonny essex used then when he got his red soft top and should be able to advise you. http://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/car-ho ... -car-hoods
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

upsdriver1988

Replacement Z4 Top

Post by upsdriver1988 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am

The top itself structurally seems fine, at least so far. Its seems a bit discolored. Is there a good reconditioning kit available? There is so much available. I don't want to put just any chemicals on the top that aren't made for that purpose.

Silverzedtom

Replacement Z4 Top

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:44 am

upsdriver1988 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am The top itself structurally seems fine, at least so far. Its seems a bit discolored. Is there a good reconditioning kit available? There is so much available. I don't want to put just any chemicals on the top that aren't made for that purpose.
I have previously used the Autoglym 2 part kit on my roof. Lickily my car was garaged throughout its life until it came to me and is in great condition.

The Autoglym kit seems ok for mine as it hasn't got green gunk or any faded parts and offers a basic level of water repellant. Some say the top layer is meant to be breathable and that the layer beneath channels water away, I'm more of the opinion that more water taken away from the first layer can only be a good thing.

For a hood in need of proper TLC I'd try renovo. It's got great reviews and also claims to recolour it - got to be worth a punt before splashing out on new fabric. I'm going to buy this next time as some crease marks are starting to annoy me.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

srhutch

Replacement Z4 Top

Post by srhutch » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 pm

An option used by quite a few of us thanks to Mr. wilks is to clean the roof with the autoglym cleaner then apply the protectant mixed 50/50 with liquid black shoe polish.

It works a treat :D

markalp

Replacement Z4 Top

Post by markalp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Both my old car and my wifes car have had new tops fitted by ETC (Here is the Z4 link http://www.europeantrimming.co.uk/bmw/z4.php )
Six years on the tops still look like new.

Once piece of advise if using re-selants whatever brand you use, make sure you get a softtop scrubbing brush and really clean the hell out the fabric then leave to dry for at least 24 hours before applying the re-sealant.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

upsdriver1988

Replacement Z4 Top

Post by upsdriver1988 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:39 pm

Thank you for all the advice. Headed to the store today and give it a go at cleaning the top and see how that works out. Thanks again!