Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nearly-a-newbie questions...

First port of call for new members
TrentSC

Post by TrentSC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi,

I'm looking at my first Z4 and wondered if I might plunder the collective intelligence of the group...

I've found a decent looking '05 2.0 SE convertible, and while it's got a decent mileage on it and has a good service history, it does have a few minor issues. Since it drives well and it's basically sound, my thinking is to get it cheaply and spend a bit of money on it to bring it up to scratch.

1. One of the front wings looks as though it'll need a respray sooner rather than later. Nothing major, just a few very small pits. According to the current owner it's not been in an accident, so it just looks like a paint job that wasn't as good as it might have been.
2. There's a chip in the windscreen which will need dealing with.
3. The wheels are showing some surface corrosion that has been patched at some point, so I'd like to get them redone properly.
4. There's a small squeak coming from one of the rear wheels, so I'm guessing that the suspension might need attention. I gather this is a common (and not expensive) issue.

Given that I'm based in Hertfordshire, what should I estimate for repairs, do you think? Given its age I don't feel a crushing need to take it to the local BMW dealer!

The car comes with the standard BMW Business CD, which looks fairly average. My current car has an aftermarket single DIN DAB unit with Bluetooth connectivity to my Android phone. Any ideas on whether this is a viable option and if I can still use the steering wheel controls?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Trent

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 pm

If its a 2 litre SE you are after and if the selling price reflects the work needed then its your call. But . . . have you considered a step up in engine size?

Welcome btw :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

TrentSC

Post by TrentSC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 pm

That looks like a lovely car but it's more powerful than I need and, I suspect, a tad more expensive than the 2 litre!

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:37 am

Hmmm i am biased as i have a 3.0i but i am with Marlon on the 6 cylinder front. And thats no disrespect to the 2.0. :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 am

I would also sugest looking at a larger engine size if possible. The radio is replaceable with a facia adapter, there are leads to keep the steering wheel controls and what sort of budget are you looking at?
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

TrentSC

Post by TrentSC » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks to all for the very useful input.

Well, that cunning plan didn't last long! I've just bought a 2006 2.5i Sport Roadster! Good condition, decent mileage and a solid history.

The question about the audio options still stands, but I'll investigate once I've spent a bit of time with the beast. Itching to get my hands on it...

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 pm

:D Congrats - looking forward to seeing it :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Excellent, pics as soon as please :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:04 pm

TrentSC wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:07 pmThanks to all for the very useful input.

Well, that cunning plan didn't last long! I've just bought a 2006 2.5i Sport Roadster! Good condition, decent mileage and a solid history.

The question about the audio options still stands, but I'll investigate once I've spent a bit of time with the beast. Itching to get my hands on it...
Nice - that sounds like a much better plan than the original! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TrentSC

Post by TrentSC » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:28 pm

I bow to your collective greater knowledge!

Picking it up tomorrow, pics will doubtless follow...

Sam1977

Post by Sam1977 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Well done I think you made a good choice.
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Porsche 911 Turbo S / Boxster S
BMW E60 M5 / E38 740i / E46 320d / E36 316i / E46 330Ci (Time Attack car)
Mercedes SL500
Hyundai Accent Copa (Andalucia Cup) x3
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting