Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie on the hunt

First port of call for new members
munster

Newbie on the hunt

Post by munster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:25 am

Hi folks, just a quick intro, I am looking at a Z4 purchase very shortly so thought it better to join up the forum.
I have never had a BMW before being mainly a VAG man so it is all new territory for me. I am mid forties and wanting a fun, reasonably cheap daily car with the soft top for the very odd day it doesnt rain :D
Have had a look at the classifieds and seen a couple of interesting cars, just need to work out the engine I prefer, looking at the 2 litre but will have to try and see what appeals.
Oh, I did look at a Boxster....and the wife said "NO...you would look a idiot having a mid life crisis in that" Tactfull and to the point as always. She does like the Z4 though so she isnt all bad :D

rally-chris

Newbie on the hunt

Post by rally-chris » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:18 am

Welcome and good luck with your search.

I'd make sure you try a 2.5 and 3l six cylinder before buying a 2 litre Z4 though!

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie on the hunt

Post by Smartbear » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:25 am

Hi, do you mean the older 2litre car or the newer 2litre turbo e89 cars?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

munster

Newbie on the hunt

Post by munster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 am

I am looking at the cars around 2005-2007, having read up on here this morning the facelift cars were 2006 onwards. Is the easiest way to tell the facelift the rear lights??? Newbie woes lol

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Newbie on the hunt

Post by buzyg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 am

Welcome to the forum. :) Do you have a budget in mind?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie on the hunt

Post by Smartbear » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:32 am

munster wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 am I am looking at the cars around 2005-2007, having read up on here this morning the facelift cars were 2006 onwards. Is the easiest way to tell the facelift the rear lights??? Newbie woes lol
That & the early cars had round front fogs with the facelift cars having rectangular shaped ones (along with reflectors on the sides of the front bumper :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

munster

Newbie on the hunt

Post by munster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 am

buzyg wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 am Welcome to the forum. :) Do you have a budget in mind?
I am looking in the £3-4K budget range. I have been trawling the net and there are loads around in that price bracket although I tend to try and buy from owners forums if possible. Ideally want heated black leather seats, low owners and a decent service history and really like the grey colour best but am open if the right example comes along.....dont want much do I :D :D

munster

Newbie on the hunt

Post by munster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:39 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:32 am
munster wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 am I am looking at the cars around 2005-2007, having read up on here this morning the facelift cars were 2006 onwards. Is the easiest way to tell the facelift the rear lights??? Newbie woes lol
That & the early cars had round front fogs with the facelift cars having rectangular shaped ones (along with reflectors on the sides of the front bumper :thumbsup:
Rob
Awesome thank you, great welcome on here and helping me get some knowledge...thanks all :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Newbie on the hunt

Post by buzyg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:55 am

munster wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 am
buzyg wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 am Welcome to the forum. :) Do you have a budget in mind?
I am looking in the £3-4K budget range. I have been trawling the net and there are loads around in that price bracket although I tend to try and buy from owners forums if possible. Ideally want heated black leather seats, low owners and a decent service history and really like the grey colour best but am open if the right example comes along.....dont want much do I :D :D
Ok so, a face lift, post 2006, E85, is what your after. Though don't dismiss the earlier cars completely. The 3ltr engine is the most common and for good reason. It combines a great Ballance of economy, performance and reliability? Plus has the trademark, straight 6 configuration. The 2ltr is a 4 pot and tends to be more strest and hence has a rep for being slightly less reliable. The 2.5 may appear the perfect middle ground, however the economy is little better than the 3.0. Enjoy searching and be sure to drive a few, before you decide. :thumbsup:

munster

Newbie on the hunt

Post by munster » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Well I've covered about 500 miles over the weekend looking at various cars and not found the one for me yet.
I am in no rush and am going to be really firm in what I want and the condition is everything....even if the budget isn't :D
Going to a dealer tomorrow to look at a 3 litre, havent driven one yet so will be good to compare to the 2.0 and 2.2 I have driven.
It does really wind me up when you travel long distances only to find things not as described! Trader today told me his car has a full service history, 90% BMW and so I went 2 hrs each way only to find he had misplaced the service book but would forward it on after I have bought it in the post :o I did ask if I paid him half now and half when I got the history but funnily enough he wasnt keen on that idea :cry:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Newbie on the hunt

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 pm

munster wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:47 pmWell I've covered about 500 miles over the weekend looking at various cars and not found the one for me yet.
I am in no rush and am going to be really firm in what I want and the condition is everything....even if the budget isn't
Going to a dealer tomorrow to look at a 3 litre, havent driven one yet so will be good to compare to the 2.0 and 2.2 I have driven.
It does really wind me up when you travel long distances only to find things not as described! Trader today told me his car has a full service history, 90% BMW and so I went 2 hrs each way only to find he had misplaced the service book but would forward it on after I have bought it in the post I did ask if I paid him half now and half when I got the history but funnily enough he wasnt keen on that idea
Yes, funny that! It usually means they don't have the history IME! (=A**hole)!

If you manage to drive a 3.0 you probably won't want a 2.0 or 2.2. :thumbsup:

Hope you find one you like soon!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

obewan

Newbie on the hunt

Post by obewan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:59 am

Hi Munster
Where are you located?
A work colleague is looking to sell his
Grey 06 plate 2.0l Sport
I've seen it and it's immaculate, I think it's done about 70k
Not sure what he's asking for it
He's on holiday at the moment but I can see if he's still got it if you are interested
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

munster

Newbie on the hunt

Post by munster » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 am

Hi, I am based in Barnsley in South Yorkshire, I'm always open to any recommendations..thanks

toolmanchris

Newbie on the hunt

Post by toolmanchris » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

Have you seen mine - not far from you in Doncaster :wink:
Reliant Scimitar GTE in Bold yellow (under restoration) http://www.toolmanweb.com

munster

Newbie on the hunt

Post by munster » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm

toolmanchris wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am Have you seen mine - not far from you in Doncaster :wink:
I know, I have seen it but it is out of my budget I'm afraid!