Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

First port of call for new members
Sidney_Laz

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by Sidney_Laz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Sid, work as an Engineer on a power station based on Lancashire but from Cardiff originally.

I picked up my 2007 "Zed" 4 3.0si Auto Coupe a good few weeks ago now. Have previously had Japanese cars including an Integra Type R (DC2 - the best one) but decided to go German.

It was low mileage (~69k) and pretty mint except for a few niggles I am getting around bit by bit, I'm pretty fussy though. Paintwork is really good for the age, front bumper was painted by the dealer to freshen it up and get rid of stone chips, the only defects of note are some little stone chips on the N/S front wing. Picked it up from a dealer (Plus200club) in Hertfordshire and got a 6 month warranty.

It's a rare colour (Ruby Black) which I liked, although we don't get much sun up here so not easy to tell! It already had the CSL style wheels and has got extras like sat nav, heated seats, sport pack.

Little bits done so far:
- Black front grill
- New rear genuine BMW badge
- New BMW wheel centre caps and tyre valve caps
- Sound generator mod was already done (both bits of foam removed so it's loud!)
- Silver side indicator bulbs
- Proper wash, polish and wax

Still to do when my hydraulic jack arrives this week:
- New drivers headlight seal purchased but not fitted yet. The condensation really bugs me!
- Got silver front indicator bulbs to fit.
- New BMW genuine front and indicator badges (They're not too bad but it's nice when done)

Future mods I am thinking about:
- Exhaust (DLV mod seems pretty good)
- AFE intake.
- Remap.
- Wrap of brushed aluminium interior. Maybe carbon.
- Re-paint silver calipers and change colour, can't decide which colour though!
- 4 wheel alignment check
- need to sort out the foglights which are also suffering really bad from condensation, I noticed this was common so would be interested to hear what people have done.

Have done a bit of research and I realise there aren't many power gains to be had so exhaust and induction kit is more for the enhanced noise, it does sound nice compared to smaller screaming engines I am used to.

I am open to any suggestions of common / must-do mods. Not looking to go crazy with it as it's a nice car already, really like the look of the coupe and the rear end! Hope to get more involved in the forum and keeping my eye on bits for sale.
Attachments
IMG_5464.JPG
IMG_5464.JPG (298.84 KiB) Viewed 873 times
IMG_5443.JPG
IMG_5443.JPG (225.78 KiB) Viewed 873 times
IMG_5441.JPG
IMG_5441.JPG (250.46 KiB) Viewed 873 times
IMG_5436.JPG
IMG_5436.JPG (242.18 KiB) Viewed 873 times
IMG_5435.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG (200.5 KiB) Viewed 873 times
IMG_5434.JPG
IMG_5434.JPG (204.99 KiB) Viewed 873 times
IMG_5433.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG (206.73 KiB) Viewed 873 times
IMG_5432.JPG
IMG_5432.JPG (278.75 KiB) Viewed 873 times

philbo909

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by philbo909 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:22 pm

Cracking coupe :thumbsup:
Drive it for a while and decide on what you want to modify I reckon! But remove the clutch delay valve and a nice weighted gear knob (zhp or stormwerks are popular)
No point going for a remap as gains are negligible and expensive
I'm saving up for a quaife Lsd which many people have reccomended, but they're expensive unless you pick up a used one like DLV did recently
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:24 pm

Lovely looking coupe! Personaly I'd get some 30mm lowering springs to compliment your lovely 19 inch wheels! All other plans sound good!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

TR4man

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by TR4man » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Looks like a stunning example. I'm sure you must be feeling very pleased.

What colour and spec is the interior?
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

Sidney_Laz

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by Sidney_Laz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks for the compliments gents!
philbo909 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:22 pmDrive it for a while and decide on what you want to modify I reckon! But remove the clutch delay valve and a nice weighted gear knob (zhp or stormwerks are popular)
It is an auto though, I believe the CDV delete does not apply to the auto? For the same reason don't think the gear knob would be necessary or possible, would defo go for that if it was manual though.
philbo909 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:22 pmI'm saving up for a quaife Lsd which many people have recommended, but they're expensive unless you pick up a used one like DLV did recently
Did notice these being mentioned but did also think it was a lot of money, wouldn't rule it out though.
jamie_z4 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:24 pmPersonaly I'd get some 30mm lowering springs to compliment your lovely 19 inch wheels!
I have thought about lowering springs, not sure if it would make it impractical over bumps and stuff. I assume yours is lowered, does it cause any problems?

Sidney_Laz

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by Sidney_Laz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:52 pm

TR4man wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:35 pmLooks like a stunning example. I'm sure you must be feeling very pleased.

What colour and spec is the interior?
Thanks, I am happy with my choice! :thumbsup:

It's black leather heated seats with the power memory functions, black interior with brushed aluminium dash. Liked the sound of the piano black dash but it's probably one of the very few extras it doesn't have. Got the sat nav as mentioned which I like for the screen. I believe it is the upgraded premium sound system but not sure if that is standard in the 3.0si.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by buzyg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Welcome to the forum Sid. That's one fine looking Coupe. 8)

Sidney_Laz

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by Sidney_Laz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:03 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 pmWelcome to the forum Sid. That's one fine looking Coupe.
Cheers 8)

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by MrPT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Welcome - looks great! Some nice, fussy mods already. :D I reckon you'll end up replacing some of the sound generator foam though - most people do after the tinnitus kicks in.

Get the fogs sorted or they'll piss you off forever. Options are refurb (split, re-silver, re-seal), replace (about £60 each), blank out, tint or swop for DIY DRLs.

Alloys look good. Arch gap possibly a bit big (if you care about such things) - what size are they? They look pretty anaemic, although it could be just the light. I'd second the recommendation for lowering springs, but you might also want to think about higher profile tyres (e.g. 225/40 and 255/35) if you aren't keen on a stuff ride.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Sidney_Laz

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by Sidney_Laz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:36 pm

MrPT wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:07 pmWelcome - looks great! Some nice, fussy mods already. I reckon you'll end up replacing some of the sound generator foam though - most people do after the tinnitus kicks in.
Thanks :) . The problem is I don't have any foam to put back in! Was thinking I would put something up on here to get hold of some that has been removed. It is a bit droney at times and already think having no foam is a bit much.
MrPT wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:07 pmGet the fogs sorted or they'll piss you off forever. Options are refurb (split, re-silver, re-seal), replace (about £60 each), blank out, tint or swop for DIY DRLs.
Agreed, once the headlight is sorted (fingers crossed) the fogs will annoy me even more. I was thinking it was worth at least attempting a refurb first, I didn't realise I would need to re-silver though, is it just a case of taking it apart and spraying the internals to restore it? Is it worth buying a new seal or just using some kind of sealant?
MrPT wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:07 pmAlloys look good. Arch gap possibly a bit big (if you care about such things) - what size are they? They look pretty anaemic, although it could be just the light. I'd second the recommendation for lowering springs, but you might also want to think about higher profile tyres (e.g. 225/40 and 255/35) if you aren't keen on a stuff ride.
The wheels are 19", I wouldnt have normally gone this big as I think they are more for aesthetics than handling and performance. The problem is, now that they're on, if I took them off it wouldn't look as good so will stick with them.

You make a good point about tyre sizes though, will have a think about that. I have got 235 35 19 at the front and 265 30 19 on the rears. I am not overly concerned about a bumpy ride but if it helps them to fill the arches then it could be a win-win. Looking at the pictures, I dont think the front would need much lowering as there is an even gap but the rear looks a tad high. Is this normal?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Sidney_Laz wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:52 pmThanks, I am happy with my choice!

It's black leather heated seats with the power memory functions, black interior with brushed aluminium dash. Liked the sound of the piano black dash but it's probably one of the very few extras it doesn't have. Got the sat nav as mentioned which I like for the screen. I believe it is the upgraded premium sound system but not sure if that is standard in the 3.0si.
Welcome to the forum OP. :thumbsup: A great car - in the absence of Taz welcome to the exclusive Coupe club. :thumbsup:

The upgraded sound system isn't standard on a 3.0Si, so another box ticked! But you've always got the N52 engine to listen to. :lol:

When the light is right Ruby Black looks fantastic (have a look at the July 2017 page of the forum calendar)!

Then enjoy! :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sidney_Laz

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by Sidney_Laz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:38 pmWelcome to the forum OP. A great car - in the absence of Taz welcome to the exclusive Coupe club.

The upgraded sound system isn't standard on a 3.0Si, so another box ticked! But you've always got the N52 engine to listen to.

When the light is right Ruby Black looks fantastic (have a look at the July 2017 page of the forum calendar)!

Then enjoy!
Nice one Mr Tidy! :thumbsup:

Happy to part of the more exclusive Coupe club rather than have the soft top, I have already been told mine is a hairdressers car! :fuelfire: :lol:

It is a great sounding engine, it's funny if I am on the phone to someone and put it into sport mode :evil: and floor it as they are shocked by the sound!

I have had some sun on it with the Ruby black and it is a really nice colour! I will need to get my camera out for some good pics and try to make the calendar!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by MrPT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:06 am

If the fogs aren't too bad then you might just be able to clean them up and reseal them. It's usually the metal plating corroding that causes water to get in though, hence people finding it in a bit of ugly state when they split them. I just drilled some small "intakes" in the undersides of mine and they stayed dry most of the time.
Sidney_Laz wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:36 pm You make a good point about tyre sizes though, will have a think about that. I have got 235 35 19 at the front and 265 30 19 on the rears. I am not overly concerned about a bumpy ride but if it helps them to fill the arches then it could be a win-win. Looking at the pictures, I dont think the front would need much lowering as there is an even gap but the rear looks a tad high. Is this normal?
No. Often it's the front that's a little higher. Perhaps the rear springs were replaced at some point and are a little less saggy than the fronts? Wouldn't worry about it too much unless the rears are >1.5cm higher than the fronts.

Those tyre sizes are the most common choice for 19s on this car. Pretty skinny but acceptable to most people.

Just noticed your comment re piano dash. Removing your existing trim is a bit of a faff (not hard - just takes a while) but a body shop will do you a better-than-OEM piano black respray for under £150.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:35 am

Sidney_Laz wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 pmNice one Mr Tidy!

Happy to part of the more exclusive Coupe club rather than have the soft top, I have already been told mine is a hairdressers car!

It is a great sounding engine, it's funny if I am on the phone to someone and put it into sport mode and floor it as they are shocked by the sound!

I have had some sun on it with the Ruby black and it is a really nice colour! I will need to get my camera out for some good pics and try to make the calendar!
No, the Roadster is the hairdresser car!

Someone I dealt with in my last job suggested my E86 was a hairdresser car when he was claiming to be thinking of a 911 - I asked him which one, and he said an auto convertible! Hairdresser personified!

This being Z4 Forum I guess I need to post some photos (Montego before Ruby Black)!
Attachments
Blue Z4 180916.JPG
Blue Z4 180916.JPG (233.08 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Ruby Z4 220815.JPG
Ruby Z4 220815.JPG (324.1 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

idej_z4

New 3.0si Coupe Owner

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:21 am

Nice looking Coupe and you've already done some of the better mods. The carbon wrap is well worth the effort. Most of the other mods I would suggest have already been mentioned. A nice quick / cheap one is to switch the internal bulbs for LED ones. It just makes it look a bit crisper in the cabin.

Can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned this yet but you REALLY need to get rid of that whippy aerial - it completely ruins the car! :poke: :rofl:

If you need some foam for the sound generator I have mine that I took out...I'm not going to put it back in as I don't mind the sound and I've ruined my ears from the years of clubbing + I'm not old. :wink: