Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drivers Side Door

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Z4Si

Drivers Side Door

Post by Z4Si » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum and have been having a look around.

I could do with some advice/guides on how to remove the trim from the drivers side door so i can take a look at the window regualtor (seems like its packed up)

I have seen a couple but has anyone got any pointers for when i finally get the courage to take my pride and joy to pieces!!

thanks

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Drivers Side Door

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Welcome Z4Si
Not a difficult job at all, but you need a few tools to do it and a level of case to not damage any lugs or scratch screw covers. Do you have a torx set?

I could write some notes but frankly Ron in this post has done a detailed write up: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... ?p=2450085

Have a read and if you have any questions post away :thumbsup:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Z4Si

Post by Z4Si » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi, thanks for the link.

Something i find quite hard to understand from the pictures are the steps i need to take. I see i have to remove the airbag logo and the bung behind the door handle to get to a couple of screws.

But after that the pictures and wordings seem a little misleading. Would you mind telling me what happens next?

Also, i dont have any Torx so im going to have to buy some. i dont suppose you know what size i need?

Sorry if im being a pain your help really is appreciated.

Many thanks

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:15 pm

OK - no probs.

The order I work in is:
Lever the airbag logo out and undo the torx
Remove the chrome handle trim by sliding and then lifting it off the lugs (careful) Remove the 4 torx of 2 sizes.
Remove the plug behind the door catch and then the torx
Lever the door opener out of the trim and then disconnect the bowden cable
Pull the panel away at the bottom edge and work around then release from the top by some gentle pulling
Disconnect speaker cables

Once inside you need to part remove the membrane. Probably end upo buying a new one and sealer if you're not careful

If you take the airbag off you must have the ignition of 15 mins before starting and if you switch on the ignition while disconnected you'll trip the airbag light and need a £40 dealer visit.

Re-assmebly is the reverse, just need to do some lining up, putting lock pin in place, routing the bowden cable, etc
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Sephanite

Post by Sephanite » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:07 pm

:driving: dont know if u have done it yet but if your playing with the window, after the door trim is out, pop out the swtich for the windows by pushing from the front bottom up and then pull out. plug it in and dont forget the air bag plug aswell.

now u can turn the key to position one and play with the window as u like. just rmemeber when all is done, turn the ignition on and wait 15 mins. im driving around with the air bag light on atm :driving: