Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How-To requests go here

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How-To requests go here

Post by ksher » Sun May 03, 2009 9:19 pm

How to apply Car Wax - Circular or Horizontal Straight Line motion? What is the difference? Why do some brands (e.g. Zymol) require straight line motion? Can circular motions really create swirl marks? I am going to polish my Z4 with BMW Wax tomorrow morning. Thanks. :)
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Nick_in_Suffolk

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Mon May 04, 2009 10:15 am

RichardG wrote:
Nick_in_Suffolk wrote:Removing the mirror housing?

I have a TIS disc and this suggests that after moving the bayonet catch the mirror and mount should 'fall' out. Mine doesn't. How much force\leverage do I have to apply and where?

Daft question, But you have removed the 4 torx screws from the Mirror Arm, even with everything removed they do still need a small amount of force to remove nearest the swivel end.
Sorry, but I am talking about the removal of the mirror assembly itself. I have moved the bayonet catch to the right, and indeed the left, but the unit does not budge. Until I get the mirror out I cannot access the torx screws.

The TIS manual suggests that the mirror assembly is held in place by a rotating platform on which there are 4 lugs that are bayonet connections to the mirror backing plate.
G29 S30i in SFR - my wife's car and her third Z
BMW M2C - gone, replaced with an i4, but its only use is shopping, the Z is our main touring vehicle

Long gone, but not forgotten - 1988 E30 M3

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Wed May 06, 2009 1:25 pm

Nick_in_Suffolk wrote:
RichardG wrote:
Nick_in_Suffolk wrote:Removing the mirror housing?

Sorry, but I am talking about the removal of the mirror assembly itself. I have moved the bayonet catch to the right, and indeed the left, but the unit does not budge. Until I get the mirror out I cannot access the torx screws.

The TIS manual suggests that the mirror assembly is held in place by a rotating platform on which there are 4 lugs that are bayonet connections to the mirror backing plate.
Should work, I just followed the TIS and the Glass came out no problem, try rocking the glass when you have the catch in the 'unlocked position'
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

clar070

Post by clar070 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi All

Please can someone help!!!

I have a 55reg z4 pre facelift. I have recently brought front and rear bumper (facelift ones) and rear facelift tail light clusters.

I have tried to plug and play with the rear lights to no avail. They do not light up nor does any warning lights show on the dash... I have seen a few posts about having to recode and wiring!???

Can anyone help me please.....

If anyone can sort this for me I am willing to pay.

Cheers Ant

jhbuining

Post by jhbuining » Wed May 13, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi y'all, got a flappy paddle gearbox question for you.

E85/E86 flappy paddle gearbox uses both paddles the same way, push for down, pull for up.
Newer BMW's have (supposedly) switched to pull right for up, pull left for down.

Has anyone tried converting their steering wheel to do the same?
It would seem to be as simple as switching some connectors on the left paddle, but is it?

TIA, Jan-Herman
Last edited by jhbuining on Thu May 14, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe RubyBlack & Honda CB1300AS

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed May 13, 2009 11:01 pm

That's a real good question and I did not know they had made that change.

The paddle shifts work in the same way as the steptronic by grounding a wire for up and a different one for down. It would therefore be a simple matter to juggle the loom inside the wheel to cause left down and right up.

You could likely even have it that either a push or pull on the left made a downshift and on the right an upshift, just by coupling up the wires

Let me know if it works or if you ended up in a dyke :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

jhbuining

Post by jhbuining » Thu May 14, 2009 2:14 am

Thx, I'll delve into to the wiring loom and see if I can make this change. Switching between simulated (Gran Turismo) and real-life fun is sooo confusing, having to live with a flappy paddle that doesn't conform to what the rest of the world uses. Even though from an ergonomic standpoint I can understand why BMW's method is better, but so were Video2000 and BetaMax (showing my age here :oops: ).

Rectified the original post, as the change to newer models was based on hearsay, but, having checked owners manuals of 2009 X6 and 3-series models, I yet have to find a beamer that has changed their flappy paddle setup... It's not even an iDrive setting yet...
BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe RubyBlack & Honda CB1300AS

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu May 14, 2009 8:32 am

You shoudl be able to test this with the wheel still on, loom disconnected and a meter to see what is grounding what and so on. I'd disconnect the loom plug from the mount and of course if the airbag is off then no ignition on else you'll trigger an error.

I cannot recall that plag in the wheel, but it may be possible to simply open it and switch a couple of pins around once oyu know which ones do what.

Have fun....
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu May 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Just to say dealer advised my new Z4 paddles are up and down on both sides, will confirm after I have taken it out for a spin at the weekend.

paperboy

Post by paperboy » Sat May 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Good afternoon :)

I'm putting my car on a ferry next weekend and apparently you're told to switch off your car alarm first. Thing is, I've no idea where I'd do that. Could any one give me a pointer?

Cheers!

pdavis444

Post by pdavis444 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi, Just bought a 03 z4, Would like to know, if to replace my ripped convertible top, do you have to remove the whole top assembly from the car first? Thanks, I really enjoy reading the post and advice that all of you give.

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Sun May 24, 2009 4:05 pm

pdavis444 wrote:Hi, Just bought a 03 z4, Would like to know, if to replace my ripped convertible top, do you have to remove the whole top assembly from the car first? Thanks, I really enjoy reading the post and advice that all of you give.
Yes.

If you look at the removal Hot-To, the actual top material is sandwiched between the two pieces of the rear hoop. That's why in the removal procedures I tell you NOT to remove those small torx screws which hold it together. When you remove those screws, the two halves of the hoop come apart and the fabric is free.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=54&fg=10

Number 11 is the hoop..
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Sun May 24, 2009 8:36 pm

If you want to tackle this yourself, here are the links for removing your fabric:
http://www.shipkiller.com/files/BMW_Sof ... Fabric.pdf

Or the main Soft Top page:
http://www.shipkiller.com/SofttopToubleshooting.html
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

pdavis444

Post by pdavis444 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:22 pm

Shipkiller, You are truly an unselfish Man.