Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remove the side engine size numbers.

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
JonnyS

Remove the side engine size numbers.

Post by JonnyS » Sun May 10, 2009 6:08 pm

Hello all,

Please could you help. I would like to remove the side Engine/model numbers which are present on the side of my Z4 as I prefer the cleaner look of the car without them and it also shows I couldn't stretch to a 3.0!!! Can anyone advise? I think they are just stuck on but is there a way of doing it without denting or scratching the side of my pride and joy.- Thank you.

jjarc

Re: Remove the side engine size numbers.

Post by jjarc » Sun May 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Typically they are attached with double stick adhesive tape. Best way to remove is with dental floss, place behind the badge and saw it off. It won't damage the paint you can remove any remaining residue with a mild adhesive remover or even rubbing alcohol. Save the numbers in case you sell the car later the new owner may want them back (this happened to me). Good luck.
Z4, 3.0, Toledo Blue/Black
Sport, Premium, Cold, Xenons
6 Speed Manual

ay8306

Post by ay8306 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:50 pm

I did the same thing myself (even though I have a 3.0si). I much prefer the cleaner look and it makes it easier to wash/polish.

It's real simple ... I used a hair drier to soften the adhesive, then I used a long piece of dental floss to 'saw' off the badges as close to the paint as possible. There was a small amount of residue left which I cleaned off with Pre-Kleano (a solvent used to prep surfaces for auto body work - but I suspect that you could use some bug and tar remover as well). Give the area that was under the badges a once over with your favorite paint cleaner (I used some Meguiars #9 swirl remover) then polish/wax as normal.
2006 Z4 3.0si Sapphire Black/Dream Red

jjarc

Post by jjarc » Sun May 10, 2009 6:57 pm

ay8306 wrote:I did the same thing myself (even though I have a 3.0si). I much prefer the cleaner look and it makes it easier to wash/polish.

It's real simple ... I used a hair drier to soften the adhesive, then I used a long piece of dental floss to 'saw' off the badges as close to the paint as possible. There was a small amount of residue left which I cleaned off with Pre-Kleano (a solvent used to prep surfaces for auto body work - but I suspect that you could use some bug and tar remover as well). Give the area that was under the badges a once over with your favorite paint cleaner (I used some Meguiars #9 swirl remover) then polish/wax as normal.
You are right, I forgot about the heat. I did mine on a scorching hot summer day after leaving the badge exposed to the sun for awhile, same effect. It's so simple, the literally pop right off.
Z4, 3.0, Toledo Blue/Black
Sport, Premium, Cold, Xenons
6 Speed Manual

JonnyS

Post by JonnyS » Sun May 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Many Many Thanks I shall give it a go.

timscuba
Lifer
Lifer

Post by timscuba » Mon May 11, 2009 2:20 am

To clean the residue off I used wd40. Worked great.

timscuba
Lifer
Lifer

Post by timscuba » Mon May 11, 2009 5:59 am

BITE ME