Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CDV Change

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
templed

CDV Change

Post by templed » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:41 pm

Hey folks, seems that a CDV change is quite popular, so here's a really good how-to. I can confirm that it is accurate to models through '05, and is probably good for the '06 and '07 manual transmissions as well.

I cannot take credit for this, as I had it saved from one of the previous "Z forums".

Good luck!

First, have a look at both CDVs side by side.

Quite obvious, isn’t it ?

Tool list

1. 2x 17mm spanners.
2. 1x 7mm spanner.
3. 1x 10mm spanner.
4. Mole grips
5. Plastic tube.
6. Rags
7. Wife
8. Axle stand or vehicle ramp.

a. Jack up left hand side of vehicle, place axle stand or vehicle ramp under front left wheel and lower the car onto the axle stand or ramp. The low ride height prevents driving the z onto the ramp, so I jacked it on.
b. Locate the CDV (“A” in picture). Crawl under the car just behind the wheel. You will be able to spot the CDV close to the gearbox where a flexible (“B” in picture) meets a much smaller diameter rigid pipe (“C” in picture). The CDV is what couples the 2 together.

c. Locate the clutch slave cylinder, it is directly above the CDV, on the other end of the rigid pipe. On the slave cylinder is the bleed nipple (“D” in picture), recognized by the tiny rubber bung (“E” in picture) pressed over it. Top tip, open the bonnet, to produce more light!
d. Remove the rubber bung by pulling it off. Ensure at this point that your 7mm spanner is long enough to fit onto the bleed nipple and have clearance to rotate about 1/4 turn. Space is at a premium!
e. Locate the flexible hose, clamp the mole grips (see “F” in picture) onto it as close to the CDV as you can, this prevents fluid loss when you break the coupling.

f. Place one of the 17mm spanners onto the CDV (“G” in picture), locate the 10mm spanner (“H” in picture) onto the rigid pipe fitting at the CDV. Hold the 17mm stationary, rotate the 10mm to separate the rigid pipe from the CDV. There will be minor fluid loss at this stage from the rigid pipe.

g. Place a 17mm on the CDV (still “G” in picture), the other 17mm onto the flexible pipe (“I” in picture). This time hold the pipe stationary and rotate the CDV. Once again expect minor fluid loss depending on how close you got the mole grips to the CDV.

h. Refitting of the modified CDV is the reverse procedure.
i. Locate wife in drivers seat. Pump clutch pedal a dozen times. This forces the air to the bleed nipple. Check clutch fluid level and top up as necessary (I never had to).
j. Now push the plastic tube onto the bleed nipple. And as your assistance depresses the pedal open bleed nipple a 1/4 turn with the 7mm spanner, close the nipple before the clutch pedal finishes the downward stroke. Repeat this bleeding operation until fluid is seen in the tube (for me this was just the one time).
k. Wipe down all areas thoroughly. Depress the clutch pedal a further dozen times and check for leaks.
l. Check fluid levels. Remove from ramp, remove wife, enjoy revolutionized driving experience!

Total time 30 min.
'05 Z4 3.0i, olivine green, 6 speed man., sport package, M seats, CDV mod, BMW strut brace, H&R rear sway bar, clutch-stop, non-RFTs!!!