Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aftermarket License Plate Bracket

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests

Thoughts On This Aftermarket Licanse Plate Bracket?

I like the setup
100%
I don't like the setup
No votes
Indifferent
No votes

Total votes: 5

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Aftermarket License Plate Bracket

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue May 26, 2009 2:29 am

Been debating whether to do this or not for a while, since I had my bumper resprayed and the previous holes filled. Obviously, WA State requires a front license plate, but I know many people who don't follow the law. I'm just a little paranoid I'll be pulled over because of the bling car colour.

Anyway, I came across this aftermarket bracket that mounts underneath the bumper, so it can be removed at will without showing any of the dreaded screw hole points. The license plate can be removed / reattached within a minute, leaving only the mounting brackets. Here's some pics:

BTW, NO part of the plate touches the bumper a all.

And here's the closeup of the bracket that stays on the car:

Honest opinions appreciated. :thumbsup: Don't worry... feel free to hurt my feelings if it's at least constructive.
Last edited by Rick Hunter on Tue May 26, 2009 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Aftermarket License Plate Bracket

Post by WLH » Tue May 26, 2009 2:37 am

That looks as good as anything I have seen for the front plate if you must have one.... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Tue May 26, 2009 2:38 am

Nice. I also recall there's one that screws into the tow bolt hole. Mounts the plate off center, but it's on there.
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Z4WAM

Post by Z4WAM » Tue May 26, 2009 3:16 am

I think its a good solution, Unfortunately Colorado requires a front plate so I got screwed from the dealer. My only question about your setup is the back of the plate vibrating on the nose. Wont it vibrate against the bumper and scratch it? Does it have a pad of some kind on the back?

Z4WAM

Post by Z4WAM » Tue May 26, 2009 3:18 am

I've seen pictures of one that hangs down in front of the diffuser but then the car has a big buck tooth.

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 am

Thanks for the compliments thusfar :thumbsup:
Smokin wrote:Nice. I also recall there's one that screws into the tow bolt hole. Mounts the plate off center, but it's on there.
I was really going back and forth about which one to order... the one I eventually got, or the GoMiniGo.com tow hook version you described. Being a "symmetrical" type of character that I am (i.e. boring and conservative), I went with what I got (Skene Design).
Z4WAM wrote:I think its a good solution, Unfortunately Colorado requires a front plate so I got screwed from the dealer. My only question about your setup is the back of the plate vibrating on the nose. Wont it vibrate against the bumper and scratch it? Does it have a pad of some kind on the back?
When I picked up my car a couple of years ago, I had a choice since the dealer didn't maim the bumper yet. The second I told them to drill, I absolutely felt gutted and regretted it. So when the opportunity presented itself recently to have the bumper repainted au gratis, I had the holes filled.

The license plate is held onto the bracket and never touches the bumper. I do have a couple of rubber bumpers that will help prevent metal-to-plastic rubbing if in case it were to come in contact, though. I also have the bumper clear-bra'd so if anything were to touch, it would only scratch the clearbra. :thumbsup:

For those interested, this is the place I ordered from: http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/plate.htm The owner is absolutely great to deal with. I went with the medium sized bracket instead of the long bracket they recommended on their site.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé